Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

8 hours ago, chokeout said:

It's the drawback of trying to structure it more like a 6 hour film than a TV series

I slate Zack Snyder for not editing things down but at least he dumps the whole thing out as one package rather than stretching things even thinner and trying to call it a series. There's a really solid 2-3 hour made-for-streaming movie in Falcon and Winter Soldier, but it's buried somewhere in a 6 hour run time. Apart from the opening fight which was really quality, the most bonkers part of this episode was that the opening recap played scenes out of broadcast order and everything made SO much more sense. This show should've been Zemo breaking himself out of prison after seeing Walker given the shield by the US government, then Sam and Bucky chasing him all over Madripoor with Sam trying to stop him killing people on the way to the uncovering the history of the serum while Bucky tried to stop himself killing people. Instead it's been a drawn out illogical slog, with muddy motivations, inconsistent time-line, random tonal shifts, tell-not-show exposition and literal Big Theme discussion, and underwritten or rewritten side characters. And worst of all, it just hasn't been fun. For all the hype about it being a Marvel take on the buddy cop theme, it's been really dour and anemic. Everyone seems really tired or confused. Definitely a Marvel misfire, for me.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warner Bros: "Zack, we need you to make a 2 hour movie to release in the cinema"  Zack Snyder:...   

I decided to repaint a Superman Jakks and a batman one for my collection. Just the capes to do These are the toys that where in B@M for 10 quid a while back. 

Oh good. A big grey CGI villain.

Posted Images

• Paid Members

There seemed to be at least half an hour of boat maintenance in this episode.  30 mintues of fishing net knitting for goodness sake.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Not the best first trailer but colour me intrigued to see how they retcon the Mandarin stuff after Iron Man 3 and the one shot. 

Also. I'm not one for OTT fan theories but this video raises some very good points about re-edits to remove a plot line From Falcon and the Winter soldier which would explain some of the crappy reasoning to the Flag smashers and some of the dodgy pacing issues. 

Edited by chokeout
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yep on episode 6 tonight. Really good stuff. Cracking animation and seems pretty faithful to the comic at least from what I can tell from the 4 issues I read. Certainly in tone at least.

It's light like The Tick without the comedy mixed with The Boys without the comedy and darkness. EDIT - THIS IS A TERRIBLE DESCRIPTION I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE

Edited by DEF
  • Paid Members

Yep been watching, the voice cast is amazing and it's been great that they didn't get bogged down in world building or explaining everyone's powers. Probably the best example of hitting the ground running for the  superhero genre. I also like that the jump from typical superhero punch ups to graphic violence manages to remain shocking every time it happens. 

My biggest problem with it is Jason Mantzoukas, everyone else in the voice ast is great and fits right in, but he stands out like a sore thumb. Don't know if it's that he doesn't even remotely sound like a teen or just that he sounds like he's doing a mildly toned down version of the same voice he brings to every show but it pulls me out of the show every time.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, chokeout said:

Yep been watching, the voice cast is amazing and it's been great that they didn't get bogged down in world building or explaining everyone's powers. Probably the best example of hitting the ground running for the  superhero genre. I also like that the jump from typical superhero punch ups to graphic violence manages to remain shocking every time it happens. 

Yes. The show is quite disarming initially. It starts of with pretty standard Justice League type storytelling and action. Then mixes in some teen drama. Which usually would have killed my interest. I stuck with the first episode and was drawn into the multi-layer story they're building. Started at around 6PM last night and have watched the first three episodes so far. The episodes are about 45mins long and they pack a fair bit into them. Looking forward to watching the rest.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like that they’ve doubled down on the shitness. The first one managed to be enjoyably shit and in a world of oversaturated  po faced cape films I’m glad at least one tries to be as stupid as they should be. I’ll see it when it eventually comes to Netflix.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I quite like that they’ve doubled down on the shitness. The first one managed to be enjoyably shit and in a world of oversaturated  po faced cape films I’m glad at least one tries to be as stupid as they should be. I’ll see it when it eventually comes to Netflix.

I didn’t hate Venom. Sure, they turned one of my favourite villains and made him comedic, but Tom Hardy’s tribute to 90’s Jim Carrey was inspired. This looks absolute shite however. No matter how cool Carnage looks.