Bellator 244 - Bader vs. Nemkov (21/8/2020)

Egg Shen

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

Gonzaga vs Jordan was the one where NOTHING happened then Big Gabe decked him right at the end wasn’t it? Like Mir vs Cro Cop minus the star power. 

Aye, that's the one. 

This one had more action, but it was King Of The Cage level stuff. 

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Nemkov didn’t have to do that to him.

Still, probably the most exciting Bader’s ever looked. Seriously, like I said yesterday, this was the best outcome for the division. LHW is shallow but at least now this gives things a bit of a wobble. I’d love to see Nemkov go on some killer run now through Corey Anderson, Phil Davis rematch or whoever. Put these dull fuckers on a highlight reel for once, albeit the wrong end of one. Maybe a rematch with Bader too. Not saying he’ll just blow through them all but he might. And if he does it’ll answer a lot because if Bellator’s 205 division has one thing, it’s strong wrestlers. If Nemkov can put a little streak together over those names I’ve just mentioned, it will only make him scarier because if you can’t wrestlefuck him, well good luck. And those guys aren’t the threat on the feet that Bader is. How did he look against Davis the first time? Can’t recall seeing that one. How did he do with the wrestling? Didn’t get that answered in this fight because Bader really didn’t initiate the wrestling that much and when he did he let him back up. 

I know Bellator needs him but I’d love to see him in the UFC down the line too. I’d be all over a rematch with Jiri and throwing him in with that newer crop of 205ers like Reyes, Rakic, Walker etc would be fun. Not to mention the likes of Santos, Teixeira, Ankalaev, Cutelaba, Oezdemir. Fuck, a returning Rumble? Imagine Nemkov vs Rumble. OK I’ll stop now.

Side note but does anyone else find Bellator’s commentary annoying? It was bugging me in the main event here especially. I can’t stand Goldy anyway. I like Josh Thomson and Big John. But they all just kept waffling on about the difference between HW and LHW and not even talking about what was actually going on in the fight for big spells. There were points when Nemkov was landing flurries of punches and the commentators didn’t even acknowledge it and just kept droning on about Bader’s run at HW and stuff. Even when Bader landed that big right that stumbled Nemkov a bit towards the end of the first round, it was pretty much crickets in the commentary booth. 

Moldavsky vs Nelson was awful. Christ almighty. Nelson needs to pack it in. He hasn’t looked good in forever. I’ve never really particularly been a fan of him but the fun thing about Nelson used to be that he was deceivingly badass for a fat cunt. A wolf in a fat little pig’s clothing. Now he’s just a fat bloke who gets knackered putting his socks on. If he can even reach his feet that is. Think I read something that he only landed 19 strikes the whole fight or something. Pathetic. 

Didn’t think much of the Julia Budd fight either but it wasn’t as bad as the Nelson one and I was glad to see Budd get back to winning ways. She just needed to rebound after that Cyborg loss and she dominated this fight. 

Didn’t end up getting around to the prelims in the end but heard Erik Perez lost again 😞 also Will Smith got flipped turned upside down as well.

Not the best show. Nemkov really saved it with that performance. That was the type of finish that overshadows whatever happened on the undercard. It’s all people are really going to talk about from this show and that’s a good thing because the rest was pretty cack truth be told. 

I was rooting for Bader as I always like to see a dominant champion remain dominant and add to their legacy, I particularly like 2 division champions but as Wand said above it's probably better for the division all around that he lost, he can now focus on HW whilst Bellator can line up the challengers for Nemkov.

Apart from the main event it was a pretty dull show. Josh Thompson made the comparison that Salter was a bit like Jake Shields early in the fight and as the fight went on I can see why. Lay and pray.

In fairness he did get the arm triangle but he did try it for about 10 minutes of the fight, fair play to him for not giving up and trying a different way to win.

The Nelson fight was awful and I didn't pay much attention to the Julia Budd fight. 

Dull show bar the main event but I am glad Bellator is back. Hopefully all their shows are on Friday nights going forward as I like waking up to watch them on a Saturday and UFC on a Sunday.

The main card was pretty dreadful with the exception of Nemkov's performance. Although I was happy that Nelson lost again. 

The prelims were a mixed bag. Tokov vs Gonzalez was easily the fight of the night. A very close fight, in which I scored to Tokov. Amosov and Almeida both dispatched of their opponents and looked very impressive while doing so. However, Parubchenko's debut was a complete flop. He almost got knocked out with a flying knee and went on to drop a decision to a journeyman. 

4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Now he’s just a fat bloke who gets knackered putting his socks on. If he can even reach his feet that is. Think I read something that he only landed 19 strikes the whole fight or something. Pathetic. 

Nelson claimed last week that he'd been competitive with Ngannou in sparring 😃

Side note but does anyone else find Bellator’s commentary annoying?

Yes, pretty much everyone does. 

Big John needs Mauro to bring out the best in him. Goldberg is useless. 

How did he look against Davis the first time? Can’t recall seeing that one. How did he do with the wrestling? Didn’t get that answered in this fight because Bader really didn’t initiate the wrestling that much and when he did he let him back up. 

He won the first two rounds and even scored a takedown on Davis at one point. But he then got tired in the third round and had to hold on down the stretch. 

Nemkov's biggest weakness to date is his cardio. Regardless, I still think he's the best LHW on the planet at present time. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Nemkov looked fantastic here. I'm not sure how Bader survived past the head kick that dropped him, but jaysus all it did was mean that he got even more of a battering. I still expect Bader to beat the lining out of most of Bellator's heavies (Werdum is a different matter), but Nemkov had the better of him here, clearly. 

Roy Nelson's fight is still going on. Like watching the grass grow. In fact I believe I've probably done that before and it was more exciting. He's still getting paid to go in there and be terrible, I can't blame him for taking the cheque, but he's past it by nearly ten years now. 

I don't get why the three judges and Sonnen scored round 1 in Bader's favour. Nemkov landed the cleaner shots and Bader did naff all with the takedown he landed. Bader landed a nice overhand right towards the end of the round, but it wasn't enough to win him the round IMO. 

24 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I still expect Bader to beat the lining out of most of Bellator's heavies (Werdum is a different matter), but Nemkov had the better of him here, clearly. 

Agreed. 

I'd pick Bader to beat Werdum as well.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:45 AM, wandshogun09 said:

I know Bellator needs him but I’d love to see him in the UFC down the line too. I’d be all over a rematch with Jiri and throwing him in with that newer crop of 205ers like Reyes, Rakic, Walker etc would be fun. Not to mention the likes of Santos, Teixeira, Ankalaev, Cutelaba, Oezdemir. Fuck, a returning Rumble? Imagine Nemkov vs Rumble. OK I’ll stop now.

Do you remember when Fedor made his comeback in 2015? Just before that, he cut ties with pretty much all of his former business partners/team members. Cast aside, Fedor's former associates started to open up about their time working with him. They revealed that it was Fedor who always had the final say during negotiations, including the infamous negotiations with the UFC in 2009. 

Also around this time, Fedor summoned his former manager, Vadim Finkelstein, to re-open negotiations with the UFC. Again, negotiations between the two parties went nowhere as the UFC and Fedor were unable to find any sort of common ground. 

So unless Nemkov parts ways with Fedor, I don't see him switching to the UFC any time soon. 

• Paid Members
On 8/22/2020 at 2:15 PM, jimufctna24 said:

The main card was pretty dreadful with the exception of Nemkov's performance. Although I was happy that Nelson lost again. 

it was very much a boxing main card, horribly mis-matched fights. Main event did save it though, Nemkov looked great. Kind of strange to have Bader to go back to heavyweight now having been decimated at 205lb.

Roy Nelson needs to get to fuck, i dont even think he trains anymore, literally turns up and plods through it.

Bang on about the commentary though, its awful. Id give anything for them to have Wheelock and Jimmy Smith back. John McCarthy used his own dissatisfaction with the John Salter fight to completely discredit Salter saying his lack of finishing is holding him back, guys finished all but one of his wins and ended up finishing this one. They are an awful team.

Edited by Egg Shen

4 days on and I am still buzzing over Nemkov's performance. 

Nemkov and Fedor figured out that Bader doesn't fight well on the back foot and game-planned accordingly. As we saw, their tactics worked perfectly. The hand-trap set-up that Nemkov used to land the fight-ending high-kick was beautiful, and he was also too active on the bottom for Bader to keep him under control, something Bader had been able to do to heavier but less active/talented heavyweights (Meathead/Kongo). 

I haven't been this excited about a light-heavyweight in a long time (or a heavyweight for that matter). I think he's been the best light-heavyweight on the planet for a while now. He's just not had the opportunity or spotlight to prove it. While his cardio remains a question mark, the 5 minute rounds in Bellator suit him much better than the 10 minute rounds in Rizin. 

Bader will probably come back strong at heavyweight. He didn't have the speed advantage over Nemkov, but he will do against Bellator's heavyweights. I'd pick him to beat Kongo, Moldavsky, and a lot of UFC heavyweights in a heartbeat.