Off Topic Minor Annoyances.

Rey_Piste

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yep. No egg required! Important to have the right fat content for the beef though..

Fair enough. Will give it a go in future. Still using the All-Purpose Seasoning though.

Edited by Carbomb

Here's what bugs me, as it's just happened again:

Me: Hi.
Them: Hi!
Me. Y'alright?
Them: (No answer)

Or worse:

Them: Hi.
Me: Hi!
Them: How you doing?
Me: Good thanks, yourself?

Now I get that some people find it a rhetorical question, and I obviously don't expect a truthful reply ("Well actually my piles have been playing up, my goldfish has covid, and I'm worried I might be developing a crack addition. Anyway, mind how you go").

But, especially if I've already demonstrated the opposite, don't fucking leave me hanging, wondering if you've heard me correctly, or if I've said something inappropriate by simply enquiring as to your well-being. Just lie politely and get on with it, ffs.

9 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It is quite annoying when people ask you if you’re alright though, especially as you know it’s just an empty pleasantry. Maybe ignoring it is a show of disdain to the hollow question in hope that you and others stop asking them.

U ok hun?

37 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Here's what bugs me, as it's just happened again:

Me: Hi.
Them: Hi!
Me. Y'alright?

Or worse:

Them: Hi.
Me: Hi!
Them: How you doing?
Me: Good thanks, yourself?

WFH, I've trained myself out of this rhetorical idle pleasantry by now answering all calls with "Good morning/afternoon, <such-and-such>, what can I do for you today?" Cuts out the faff.

• Paid Members

I was chatting to a Russian friend recently, who moved to the UK some time ago, and who has never got used to the British style of courtesy. She's from one of those parts of Russia where people are both mystified by how excessive it is, and almost offended by its insincerity; for example, saying "sorry" when we bump into someone is par for the course, but where she's from, you only say it when you've really fucked up, and it was your fault. Consequently, she's never had any truck with it, and has often been labelled "rude" by many of the English people she's interacted with. Similarly, she's always been amused at our capacity for small talk, particularly the weather, at length.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

It is quite annoying when people ask you if you’re alright though, especially as you know it’s just an empty pleasantry. Maybe ignoring it is a show of disdain to the hollow question in hope that you and others stop asking them.

I actually answer with “Genuine question or English pleasantry?” And if they lie and say genuine, I tell them what’s upsetting me today. They soon learn.

Edited by air_raid

Most of the time when I'm at work it goes like this:

Me: Hi

Them: Hi

Me: Alright?

Them: Yeah I'm good thanks. You?

Me: Yeah I'm good thanks. You?

Them: *walks away*

And then I walk off feeling like a twat for having asked if they're alright twice, but I at least get to feel ok about myself knowing I cared enough to pretend I was interested

• Paid Members

I've taken up running again to loose a little (re: a lot) of this COVID weight, and I tend to run in this big park across the road. Huge wide open fields with a path going through the middle. 

So I'll be running along on the path and whenever I see someone coming towards me, I always move sideways off the path and at least a meter onto the grass, because I'm sweating and breathing heavily and there's bodily fluids flying everywhere. Obviously, the typical social distancing 6 feet isn't enough to protect against fat fucks galloping away so the extra social distance is warranted.

However, nine times out of ten, the person coming the other way will still move right towards the side of the path that I'm closest too, making my whole diversion pointless and getting them likely covered in my salty gland juices and gob droplets. Pisses me off to no end.

I have recently been selling items on eBay and has been quite a money maker for me, with no problems - Until this week.....

Firslty, sold my Girlfriends brand new GHD straighteners (she knew about it) as she received two at Christmas, they havent been used.

Hair Salon in Manchester brought them and then tried to return them saying that they had been used. When I asked them to confirm the  date stamp on the product (as I took a picture of it before they were sent) they become very defensive, transpires they were trying to return an old product back to me - currently have an open dispute regarding this.

Secondly, sold an item on Wednesday, messaged the buyer thanking them for payment confirmed I would do my best to post the following day (Thursday) depending on my own work commitments but explained that should I not be able to do so, Saturday would be my next day for posting. I received an abrupt message back saying that "They needed it straight away" I nearly responded by saying "Oh, you should have ordered from Amazon using Prime then" but I responded by saying that I do my best to post Thursday. 

Item was posted on Thursday morning, signed for delivery 2nd class (as specified on the listing) and tracking reference provided and delivery status updated on eBay about an hour later. This morning, I recevied another abrupt message at 10:36 saying that they had not recieved and wanted to know where it was? 

I responded by saying that it was posted on Thursday and should be with him soon, I checked the tracking number about an hour later and saw it was signed for 10 minutes AFTER he sent me the message, so he didn't even bother to wait until the post had been delivered this morning before sending the message.

Lastly,  I sold an item for just under £100.00, buyer messaged me about an hour after the auction had ended and said they would pay the following day and asked when it would be posted.

I responded, thanking them for informing me.  Confirmed I would post on Saturday and I would ensure it was suitably packaged on Friday. I usually go to the gym on a Saturday morning and on the way home I pass a Post Office so it was my intention to post then.

Whilst at the gym this morning, at 9:02am I received a message from the buyer, asking when it would posted. I received another message 90 minutes later asking the same question. I finished my work out and responded to confirm that it would be posted today as per previously promised and I would provide the tracking reference and update the delivery status on eBay this afternoon/evening.

Item dropped off at the Post Office at 11:54 and tracking reference uploaded onto eBay at 15:30 this afternoon and positive feedback left.

I am now receiving messages of the buyer saying that they cannot track the item.... 

I have responded to advise it was only posted today and it probably will not have entered their tracking system yet and suggested that it we would only be able to tracking from the next working day (Monday).

I have been polite all the way through but I am starting to loose my paitence, I appreciate it is a lot of money to spend etc. But I have  kept the buyer updated and advised of timescales and set expectations all the way through.

So, it appears that my eBay selling is coming to an end as the above three experiences have really soured the whole thing for me and has really opened my eyes at how dodgy, impatient, unreasonable and downright bloody needy some people can be. 

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz

• Paid Members

I too have been properly soured on the eBay experience recently. The last three things I've sold (projector, phone, broken iPad) have all had people try to claim issues to get a discount AFTER the auction. The iPad was sold as broken as for parts and the guy complained that it was broken and sold for parts and wanted a discount. 

So yeah f**k eBay I say.