Orange Cassidy - what is his ceiling in AEW?

RedRooster

Orange Cassidy - what is his ceiling in AEW?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When AEW signed Orange Cassidy I was pretty dismissive of his prospects. Over the past few months I’ve come to realise that one of the moments I’d like to see most in wrestling right now is Orange Cassidy becoming World Champion in front of a crowd.

I’m not saying he’d be a long term champion and I’m not saying he’d be the ‘face of the company’. But I do want to see this, and I don’t know whether or not this is an insane expectation. Cassidy is utterly unique and I genuinely have no idea how far he can actually go, or should actually go.

What do you think? What is the ceiling for OC in AEW?

• Paid Members

I love OC. Like seriously I don't think I've connected with a gimmick or a personality as much and I wish all the best for him. 

I honestly think he's TNT at best, realistically. I'd love for him to win the title and then realise that he has to defend it seemingly every week and just have his opponents confused and frustrated how difficult he is to read. He showed last night he has the potential to go far and in front of a crowd if they get one back soon, the blow off match with Jericho will make him pretty big but I just don't know how he could end up in a World Title match let alone win it. Having him build a different feud every month would be too much and his shelf life would grow boring pretty quick. Him just having matches, being himself and not being expected to "run the show" would be the best his character could want. 

• Paid Members

Strong mid-level character they can move up and down the card fluidly, with the occasional upper card programme but also perfectly suited for the opening match to start the show off strong. I love him but really don't want to see him winning the top title or anything.

Could be a fun story of him winning the tag titles with an unlikely partner who is his complete opposite personality who starts off hating him but they gradually become best mates or something along those lines.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

He's genuinely one of the most over and original guys they've got. I can't see why they couldn't go with at least a short world title run for him.

The way I see it is that wrestling is at its best when it builds up to moments of absolute joy, and there’s no way that Cassidy besting a heel Champion in an upset victory wouldn’t be that. Who cares if he doesn’t fit the typical mould of what a World Champion should be? As you say it doesn’t need to be a long run, heck, you could have the crushing blow of the heel winning it back the week following, then insisting the defeat didn’t happen. In all likelihood that kind of sympathy-building approach would leave Cassidy even more over. 

I don't see Orange Cassidy as being anything more than a super strong mid-card act, a TNT title run or even a very short world title run of a few weeks as mentioned would be fun and if Jericho won the world title back i'd love to see Jericho be the HHH to Orange playing Jericho ala April 2000 where the decision is reversed during the evening. But in the long run I think he will just play an entertaining mid-carder they can keep popular and heat up or down when needed. 

I’d keep him away from any titles, he can lose any title match and not be harmed with his gimmick. How well protected he’s been so far is amazing, don’t spoil it having him in singles matches each week 

• Paid Members

I don't think he's a World Title guy under the Orange Cassidy gimmick, and the gimmick has got so over that I hope they don't change it. He's legitimately one of the best wrestlers they have, but even with that in mind I've been amazed at how well they've managed to make that gimmick interact with the rest of the show, and - for the most part - how they've managed to use it sparingly, rather than run some of the more obvious comedy spots into the ground, WWE-style.

I just don't think he's a character who would benefit from a World Title run, though if he gets a Foley-esque short feelgood run with the belt later down the line, I'd still love it.

• Paid Members

It's a little of different columns. He can be TNT champion, for sure. He also has a shelf life though. In times past where a career in the big company was 4-5 years, Cassidy could have made millions, but he can't keep this gimmick up for the 15 year careers every jobber gets now.

• Paid Members

Realistically, he shouldn’t be anywhere near the World Title picture. But if he was? I’d be completely sucked in, all sense of disbelief would be gone and I’d cheering him on like a seven year old. And ultimately, that’s my favourite type of pro-wrestling, where I’m not thinking about ratings or trends, match structure or selling, I just want my favourite to win.

I could see him with the TNT title, but not the World title. Having said that, there’s no reason why they couldn’t do a program with him challenging for the World title.

If they can come up with a way to tell the right story then there’s no reason why they couldn’t run with it. Think back to Elimination Chamber 2012 (or Kofi in last years Elimination Chamber) when it seemed for one brief moment that Santino Marella was going win the WWE Title. We knew deep down that he wasn’t going to and being in the ring with a great in Daniel Bryan helped things, but for just a second, it looked like he was to do it, but ultimately came up short.

I need to express how embarrassed and disgusted I was by the over-actions of that little fucking idiot Ortiz flopping about on the orange juice the other week. Saw it on Wrestle-Botch and felt humiliated to have been a wrestling fan from 1991 to 2003. 

No excuses for that. Zero credibility. And fuckall like Vince selling a powerful blast from a hose pipe. It was the absolute worst thing I've ever seen in the genre of professional wrestling.