WWE Summerslam 2020 Thread

Was there some sort of tagline for this show? I didn't pick up on it...

All in all I enjoyed Summerslam. I think I prefer wrestlers subbing for fans to the Thunderdome, but I can't complain too much about them opting to run with a safer option during a pandemic. 

Dominic Mysterio was impressive, but like Supremo I couldn't stop myself from comparing him - totally unfairly - to Pat McAfee. 

It was great to see Roman Reigns back, Smackdown really needs him. I don't particularly want to see another Fiend title run so I hope they move the belt to Roman quickly, perhaps even as soon as Payback. 

• Paid Members

Glad to see Roman batter the life out of The Fiend and Strowman at the end there. Their program has been diabolical, and both men's stars have fallen dramatically. Have Roman beat Wyatt next weekend and put Bray and Strowman in a box somewhere at the back of the cupboard. 

I was pleasantly surprised that Drew kept the title. He should have done, but I was expecting a title change here. He needed the win, and Randy isn't hurt by a loss. I liked the backslide finish too. The more often matches end with finishes that aren't standard, the more exciting and less predictable they can be. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Roman Reigns is the biggest star in this company, hands down. 

However, i was dizzy as hell when he was smashing Braun with the chair and the camera was following the movement of the swings. 

Wasn't going to mention it because it just is what it is at this point but all I've seen from the show is the YouTube clip of Reigns running in and the production just kills it again. The constant cuts as he attacks Wyatt with the camera wobbling up and down for every punch is just unwatchable. Fair fucks to anyone who can.

• Paid Members

The camera movements with the chair swings was the worst of the camera motions they have done so far. I zone out of the camera cuts usually, but I had to look away during that one, it was like when you watch cars drive by you on the opposite side of the road, it was incredibly jarring.

Okay THIS version of Roman is light years ahead of everyone else in terms of star power and presence.
Vince, leave him alone. Just let him be himself. Give it time and you might get something like Roman v Drew at Mania which could be draw some interest. 

I thought Dominik did well for his first match and although I've not been following the story beyond a few clips and comments on here etc the match was very storyline driven and booked well with Rey wanting to honour his sons wishes and letting him fight his own battles but being tortured seeing his son getting beaten up. If WWE tries they do these kind of things very well.

I haven't seen the rest of SummerSlam yet but overall it seems to have been receiving positive reviews and despite the horrific camera cuts I don't mind the piped in noise [they've been doing that for years] and the set up at least makes it feel more 'big time'. 

• Paid Members

Admittedly I wasn’t paying super close attention, but I thought they actually calmed down a little bit on the camera cuts and shaking. Even Montez Ford’s amazing Frog Splash was given a single wide shot!

The whole Thunderdome deal was worth it for Drew’s entrance. For the first time as Champion he looked like a huge deal. You wonder, if Covid doesn't happen, how successful could he have been?

The problem for Roman is that there are so few interesting characters for him to feud with on Smackdown right now. I don't want to see him face Corbin again, Sheamus/Reigns feels quite stale and Strowman/Reigns has been done before. Reigns/Big E is a very appealing combination further done the line, but I don't think that's something they should or could get to any time soon. 

If he is to become champion soon (as he should) they really need to inject some fresh blood onto that roster. You'd have to imagine a draft is coming in the very near future. 

• Paid Members

If they put the title on Roman, they've got two dominant faces as champs on each brand. If it was deliberate, like if they were building to a unification match, that could be a great dynamic. If not, it's just abit samey with no pay off.

37 minutes ago, Supremo said:

You wonder, if Covid doesn't happen, how successful could he have been?

It's probably a toss up at to whether he'd have been more over or he'd have been turned on for no reason. As it is, the empty arena stuff has allowed them to establish him as a big deal and give him some strong wins, this one being the biggest. It's possibly done them a favour but it's impossible to say. Regardless, I think when fans are back, he's a bigger deal than he was when it shiut down.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

You'd have to imagine a draft is coming in the very near future. 

I believe the next draft is October, I could be wrong, however i'm sure that was announced. 

I really hope Reigns / Wyatt is a one and done if they are going that way, he doesn't need to be dragged down by the hokeyness of the Wyatt character. It will also be interesting to see if this is the heel turn that has been needed or if its just Reigns returning with power then returning to smiling babyface with his new gnashers. 

An enjoyable show but they need to draw a line under these feuds and move on, lots of good names missing from the card Hardy, AJ, Sheamus, Riddle, Corbin, KO etc.

Drew vs Orton was good and ending made sense to prolong the story, its only just started and Drew hasn't had a proper long blood feud yet, my guess it'll be 2 outta (nowhere) 3 falls at Payback with Drew win leading to Hell in a Cell for Randy win.

Happy to see Reigns back, SD has really missed him, he has great chemistry with both guys and he came back with loads of fire which is a great start.

Could be good stuff coming up with Lee on Raw, Aleister is maybe coming back possibly with tweaked character, Roman on SD, Ciampa back on NXT

• Awards Moderator

First main-WWE show I’ve watched more than brief clips of since Mania. I don’t know if it’s from regularly watching AEW in the interim, from just not watching WWE for months, or from people talking about it on here, but I really noticed all the camera cuts. I was wondering at one point during the first match if they even had a hard cam anymore, don’t think they used it until the finish. I think that’s one of the biggest factors for me - hard cam view gives me that sense of being static viewing the action which helps me connect to and enjoy it. I couldn’t tell you which of these matches I saw from Summerslam were good or bad - it’s just so hard to tell or care when it’s all Liam Neeson Jumping Over A Fence.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

If they put the title on Roman, they've got two dominant faces as champs on each brand. If it was deliberate, like if they were building to a unification match, that could be a great dynamic. If not, it's just abit samey with no pay off.

That's a fair point. The alternatives to Roman on Smackdown are so weak that he still strikes me as the best option. I can't think of many Fiend matches that appeal to me at this point, outside of some mild intrigue at the idea of Fiend/AJ.