RIP Mark Rocco

eugenespeed

• Paid Members

Rocco is up there with Jim Breaks as the greatest wrestlers of all time.  You knew it was going to be an amazing show when he was announced, and he never disappointed.  RIP to a true legend.

4 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Most of my exposure was from Reslo on S4C (and later repeats) but I remember thinking that he stood out in terms of athleticism etc, even as a kid. Very sad.

I love this match so much.

I love this match too. Rocco pissing everyone off, the crowd, Yamada, his second, the ref. He starts talking shit about Antonio Inoki during some exchanges. All whilst wrestling beautifully and giving the young Liger loads. 

RIP to one of the all time greats. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I'm thinking it's Rocco and Kendo Nagasaki v Fuji Yamada and 'Iron Fist' Clive Myers.

Think it was this actually. It was definitely Clive Myers I was thinking of. How I forgot it was Nagasaki teaming with Rocco I don’t know. 

• Paid Members

I think they worked in Japan and were friends. I'm sure someone tells a story (Regal or Bret maybe?) about them meeting again during a 90s WWF UK show backstage and Hulk brushing him off in front of the rest of the locker room, humiliating him. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I think they worked in Japan and were friends. I'm sure someone tells a story (Regal or Bret maybe?) about them meeting again during a 90s WWF UK show backstage and Hulk brushing him off in front of the rest of the locker room, humiliating him. 

It was Bret, in his book. Apparently they were big mates in Japan, so when the British lads were brought in to work a dark match at (I think) the Royal Albert Hall, Rocco had been bragging(maybe not the right word) about bing mates with the biggest name in Wrestling. When Hulk finally turned up, he could hardly remember him. It crushed Rocco, according to Bret... 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I know Hulk appeared twice at Wembley for TNA, but did he or Rocco ever do anything else, or is this another Hogan tall tale?

Definitely not "many times", but he may be mixing it up with London Arena (Docklands/XL) where WWF has a show in 1989 where Rocco was in a dark match. (For the first couple of UK tours WWF was classed as a sporting tournament for visa purposes, so they had to have a certain percentage of British "competitors". A couple of years later they were reclassifed as entertainment.)

‘Fish house’ being kayfabe for brothels right?

In all seriousness, Rocco was a beast in the ring, you cannot sing his praises enough. My mum would never have much to say about wrestling, but, would make a point to say that ‘Rocco was a dirty swine’. Damn he was good.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

It was Bret, in his book. Apparently they were big mates in Japan, so when the British lads were brought in to work a dark match at (I think) the Royal Albert Hall, Rocco had been bragging(maybe not the right word) about bing mates with the biggest name in Wrestling. When Hulk finally turned up, he could hardly remember him. It crushed Rocco, according to Bret... 

I'm starting to wonder the validity of that story tbh, given Bret's built-in bias against him. Would Hogan bother to tweet about someone he hardly remembered?

I doubt Rocco would have still spoken about him in glowing terms afterwards nor bothered to seek him out in 2011/12 if he'd have embarassed him like that.

Edited by garynysmon