RIP Mark Rocco

eugenespeed

• Paid Members

On their Facebook, All Star Wrestling have announced that Mark "Rollerball" Rocco has passed away after suffering for the past few months. 

I'm gutted by this news. As a kid growing up watching the stars of British Wrestling on a Saturday afternoon, Rocco was my first favourite wrestler and I'll never forget his feud with Marty Jones. Tame by modern standards, but back in the 80s, their matches were wild in comparison to what we were used to. 

Edited by eugenespeed

Absolutely gutted by this.
A genuine innovator who was decades ahead of his time.
Rocco made you believe. He wrestled with an aggression that defied his size.
He was genuinely one of my favourites to watch. His matches with Marty Jones, Dynamite Kid and Tiger Mask in particular still stand up today in terms of action and style.

I know he had been suffering recently but seeing him work with Spud on British Bootcamp all those years ago made me think he could still wrestle rings around most of the current crop of wrestlers at the time.

A huge loss. One of the absolute greats.

RIP Rollerball. 

• Awards Moderator

This is terribly sad to hear, one of the absolute best wrestlers this country has produced. To my shame I’d never heard of him before The Wrestling Channel, but seeing him on World Of Sport was a revelation. Why wasn’t everybody talking about Rollerball Rocco in the same way they talked about Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask?! The way he moved, the way he hit, the way he sold, the way he locked on submissions, the way he stood. Absolutely superb wrestler. RIP.

• Paid Members

One of the best of all time for me. A state-of-the-art wrestler who should be considered up there with Liger, Tiger Mask, Eddy Guerrero et al.

RIP "Rollerball" Rocco.

Edited by Carbomb

46 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Why wasn’t everybody talking about Rollerball Rocco in the same way they talked about Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask?! The way he moved, the way he hit, the way he sold, the way he locked on submissions, the way he stood. Absolutely superb wrestler. RIP.

I don't know why Mark's name isn't/wasn't spoken in the same breath as Dynamite and Tiger Mask sometimes as it absolutely should be. 
His matches with Marty Jones in the late 1970's were the precursor to Tiger Mask/Dynamite in my opinion.

Rocco helped create a hybrid style, along with those mentioned. that has heavily influenced a lot of what we see today. 

• Paid Members

7-B66380-F-7347-4309-8-A54-6-EA1-C2-B6-A

FF9-F884-C-4-A9-C-4999-8-E85-C9-CD316-F3

173848-C5-F81-F-48-D5-ADD0-D697-BB1-FD1-

30-FA20-EA-0809-4038-AAE7-F78589-D0666-B

Sad to hear this. Not going to pretend to know a lot about British wrestling from any era but even I was familiar with Rocco early into my fandom when my Dad got me a few tapes of British wrestling he’d stumbled across somewhere.

E236371-F-E024-4-FA0-9-CA3-10851-BC8-F62

That was one of them but there was 3 or 4 in the series. Rocco was a constant throughout those tapes along with Finlay, Liger in his Fuji Yamada days, Nagasaki, Johnny Saint, Danny Collins and so on. Regal and Brookside popped up on one as well. Even back then though, Rocco and Finlay’s matches were the ones I watched most. I didn’t like them at the time because they were baddies but their matches slapping the fan favourites about were the most exciting on those tapes. There was one with Rocco and somebody I’m forgetting vs Yamada and a black karate guy who’s name I’m also forgetting that I absolutely loved as a kid to the point I wore that bit of the VHS out. Whenever my Dad would see Rocco he’d always wonder out loud why he was nicknamed after a pen. 

Didn’t discover his matches with Dynamite and his stuff in Japan as Black Tiger until much later. 

Still haven’t seen enough Rocco, to be honest. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

My granddad hated Rocco. Just bought completely into the entire heel act. 

When I got to meet Rocco a few years back, I couldn't help but smile wondering what Granddad would have made of me associating with the likes of him.

Edited by BomberPat

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

. There was one with Rocco and somebody I’m forgetting vs Yamada and a black karate guy who’s name I’m also forgetting that I absolutely loved as a kid to the point I wore that bit of the VHS out.

I'm thinking it's Rocco and Kendo Nagasaki v Fuji Yamada and 'Iron Fist' Clive Myers.