UFC Vegas: Brunson vs Shahbazyan - Aug 1 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Sorry @Scott Malbranque 

F62A5B09-5975-426B-BEAA-3DC943D7907E.jpeg

0E59C64A-A0CE-451E-97AA-BBC8447225DC.png

I was really looking forward to seeing Sad Gerry later and we're on holidays in Cork and me nephew walked into the apartment /house thing we're in and said "Ah bollocks, Meerschaert's out" and I immediately thought of yourself, Magic, logged on and there it was, confirmed. 

That bloodhound pic now represents and encaptures the mood Gerald, his team, family, friends and us...his fans, are feeling now. Its a symbol. Like the Smashing Pumpkins' "Zero" t-shirt. 

• Paid Members

What the fuck? So that’s Calderwood and Trevin Giles who fainted. Bit worrying. It’s not like these are 20 year old kids coming off the Contender Series and nerves have got the better of them. Especially Calderwood because her fainting was post-fight.

Brunson really derailed Shahbazyan big time there. He always has that capability. Edmen looked good early and he always looks mega dangerous when he goes on the attack but Brunson has been there and done it and fought some of the best in the game. He wasn’t going to sweat it. I touched on it in the opening post but Edmen faded against Darren Stewart in his UFC debut as well. Based on that and now last night’s fight, it seems that’s the chink in his armour. He’s still young though. I’m sure Twitter is full of people declaring him finished today but he’s 22 and it was his first loss. He’s got the skills and time to bounce back from this. His cardio can be managed better. It’s not the end of the world. He’s just going to have to realise he can’t blow everyone away in a round. At least Brunson snapped that win two/lose two streak. Maybe it was the Kevin Randleman hair dye job.

Was gutted with how Maia vs Calderwood went. Maia’s someone I’ve never been overly impressed or unimpressed with. She’s just there. But as soon as the fight started last night I noticed 1) she’s a brick shithouse and 2) she’s landing that right hand way too often. She looked good. All her fights before this, I’ve forgotten immediately when they ended. This was the kind of performance that sticks out in the memory. No sooner had she won the fight this popped up...

16554-B28-9148-4429-8-A4-D-832-DD40-CAE2

Why does even this read like a threat coming from Val? She could’ve at least let Maia have one night of happiness and celebration before reminding her what’s coming.

As for Calderwood, she didn’t look her best at all. She’s like that though. Just very inconsistent. She got off to a shaky start and just couldn’t steer it back on track. This was a gamble that really backfired. She was supposed to be next for the title shot. She didn’t have to take this fight. Although saying that, I’m kind of glad. If Maia did this, imagine what Shevchenko would’ve done to her?

Can’t be arsed to go into every fight but Green vs Vannata 2 was really good. Worthy FOTN. I’ve said it loads on here but Green’s never been the most entertaining fighter to watch bell to bell. But this is twice him and Lando have gone out and had a really fun fight. This was the best Bobby Green has looked in forever to me as well. I’d happily watch these two keep the series going.

Vicente Luque and Jonathan Martinez stood out in their performances as well. Needless to say though, Luque is wasting his time calling out Nate Diaz. 

Heartbreaking loss for Calderwood. I hate to see people who are brave and put their title shot on the line come up short, it validates the people who sit out and wait and hold up a division.

It was a fantastic win for Brunson and a loss that Shabazyan can learn a lot from, in particular he needs to work on his cardio and some how manage to learn what to do when Plan A isn't working. Why his corner sent him out for the 3rd round I have no idea, the doctor did not look convinced so I am not sure why he let him either. Great stoppage from Herb, I think with his massive errors last week he should get some credit for this.

What a performance by Green and Lando. I love Green so much, I am drawn to his personality. I saw a brief clip afterwards of maybe a press conference or a scrum and he was just as inspirational as he was after the Clay flight. He's quickly become one of my favourites to cheer for. I never really took much notice of him before.

• Paid Members

Vicente Luque in there with another exciting fight and great performance. This guy never disappoints. He's always a name I look forward to anytime I see he is penciled in to be on a card. As Wand said, he won't be getting Nate Diaz, but maybe an Anthony Pettis, Cowboy Cerrone or Robbie Lawler? Yes please. 

Brunson really looked good here. He mixed up his game really well, and like Cruz said on commentary, he wasn't leaving his chin hanging out over the edge of the cliff like he used to. This version of Derek Brunson is patient, smart and dangerous. He could upset a few other big names in the division if he can keep this run going for a little while yet. 

Emmers was very impressive on the prelims. Fought a great fight, and especially in the first two rounds he looked very slick indeed. He seemed like a properly nice guy in the post fight interview too. I'll be keeping an eye out for him going forward. 

• Paid Members

Missed the show but...

always felt taking this fight was backfire for Calderwood, bit gutted for her. She'd never beat Valentina but would have been cool to see her get the shot.

I completely slept on Brunson. I know the guys dangerous but i thought this was a banker for Shabhazyan.

• Paid Members

Normally, I'd say the first loss is usually the make-or-break turning point for an elite fighter - we find out if they have the mental fortitude to regroup and strengthen, or if they just fold. Seeing as Shahbazyan is trained by Thank You Edmond, however, not confident we'll get the former. I mean, he may have the natural mental fortitude, but I'm not confident he'll get the training he needs to improve his game across like he'll need. He'll probably become Thank You Edmen.

• Paid Members

Hoping it's some sort of release to let him get himself back together, otherwise that's a bit cold. 

Just had a look at his Wiki, and it seems he was a pro-wrestler before MMA! Wonder if he was any good?