Extreme Rules 2020 really was a horror show *spoilers*...

iMPACt!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mikeymike83 said:

They really have shit the bed on this cinematic b.s. haven't they? Already. Just over 3 months and they've completely buried a concept that could have gotten several years of decent output for the likes of a Taker, hell, they could have probably coaxed Austin into doing something similar. 

I am completely and hopelessly partly to blame for it all, as I assume some of you are too. In that no matter how bad it gets (and in 30 years as a fan, it really, probably is rock bottom. Absolute dog shit) I somehow just can't walk away for good. I would love to, I really would. But I'm just drawn to watch a few minutes here, and a few minutes there. And it absolutely pisses me off, not just in it's quality but because I somehow cannot distance myself from it completely. The biggest frustration of it all, so long as I'm a drongo and keep seeking out little bits here and there, the old man will keep churning out this absolute dross. And it never will get any better. 

Shame on me. đŸ˜”

Once you make the initial jump it then makes it easy though. 

Not having watched for the best part of a decade now, apart from maybe Wrestlemania once a year,  over half the roster are complete strangers so I have no investment in them at all. I couldn't even point out most of them in a police lineup by now unless they came through TNA at some point. 

I do know what you mean though, past glories and nostalgia mean that the WWE gets so many more second chances and free passes than fans would give any other wrestling promotion.

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, Mikeymike83 said:

They really have shit the bed on this cinematic b.s. haven't they? Already. Just over 3 months and they've completely buried a concept that could have gotten several years of decent output for the likes of a Taker, hell, they could have probably coaxed Austin into doing something similar. 

I am completely and hopelessly partly to blame for it all, as I assume some of you are too. In that no matter how bad it gets (and in 30 years as a fan, it really, probably is rock bottom. Absolute dog shit) I somehow just can't walk away for good. I would love to, I really would. But I'm just drawn to watch a few minutes here, and a few minutes there. And it absolutely pisses me off, not just in it's quality but because I somehow cannot distance myself from it completely. The biggest frustration of it all, so long as I'm a drongo and keep seeking out little bits here and there, the old man will keep churning out this absolute dross. And it never will get any better. 

Shame on me. đŸ˜”

I am a 30+ year fan and have all but checked out. I havent watched any WWE in months, have seen a few bits of NXT and clips of AEW. So little of anything really grabs me currently and this whole cinematic wrestling can fuck off.

It worked for The Undertaker because its the fucking Undertaker but the rest have just been utter garbage in my opinion.

Only wrestling I watch now is all the old stuff on the Network.

Its sad but I honestly think if I was a kid now this stuff wouldnt hook me the way WWF did in 1991. 

I never thought there would be a time I wouldnt watch whatever the current wrestling product was but I'm honestly nearly there. Seems a lot of other people are too 

3 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Once you make the initial jump it then makes it easy though. 

Not having watched for the best part of a decade now, apart from maybe Wrestlemania once a year,  over half the roster are complete strangers so I have no investment in them at all. I couldn't even point out most of them in a police lineup by now. 

I do know what you mean though, past glories and nostalgia mean that the WWE gets so many more second chances and free passes than fans would give any other wrestling promotion.

Yeah, i hear what you're saying. Slowly but surely my viewing habits are getting there. I can go weeks, sometimes a month or two without seeing anything (spoilers or discussion aside), and genuinely don't feel the need to watch anything. So I know I'm probably ready to walk away in that respect. But yes, nostalgia is probably the one thing that keeps me linked. 

I sometimes wonder as well, the current crop are probably the biggest marks the business has ever had. There is no way, in any other era (even probably the other hideous run they had - 1995 ish), would the top talent be happy to do some of the garbage that these lot put up with. If you want to be at the very top, who would be agreeing to do some of the utter shite that old man Vinnie has them doing? Prime Hogan, Savage, Austin, Michaels, even Cena would have put their foot down a long time ago. And rightly so. If you're good enough, anyone can come back from an ill conceived feud/angle or two. But constant garbage week after week is absolute insanity. So many of their current crop would be huge by today's standards had they been afforded/demanded favoured booking that previous generations had.

4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I am a 30+ year fan and have all but checked out. I havent watched any WWE in months, have seen a few bits of NXT and clips of AEW. So little of anything really grabs me currently and this whole cinematic wrestling can fuck off.

It worked for The Undertaker because its the fucking Undertaker but the rest have just been utter garbage in my opinion.

Only wrestling I watch now is all the old stuff on the Network.

Its sad but I honestly think if I was a kid now this stuff wouldnt hook me the way WWF did in 1991. 

I never thought there would be a time I wouldnt watch whatever the current wrestling product was but I'm honestly nearly there. Seems a lot of other people are too 

Pretty much the same. AEW is frustrating, I consider it more to my tastes than WWE is. But jeez, thats a chore too. I don't want to watch every wrestler on your roster having bland, flippy bollock wrestling thats camouflaged as a 5* classic. If it's possible, the majority of their roster are probably even bigger marks than Vince's mob. 

Yes it worked for the undertaker because of who he is, most definitely. But used sporadically it could have helped others too. As I alluded in a previous post, in the right scenario it could have given a spotlight to Austin again. He doesn't wrestle and risk his health, but gives both sides a little taste. Maybe that's just me wishful thinking though.

I genuinely think that they are expecting fans to flock back when the fans come back to arenas.

The problem is so deep rooted in the wwe system I don’t no what they need to do to shake theirselves out of it I thought Hhh would be the one to bring change but seeing Nxt I have severe doubts.

I’m paying  to go to wrestlemania next year with my cousin as it’s a lifelong dream for him but at this moment my intrest in the shows are all time low 

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I am a 30+ year fan and have all but checked out. I havent watched any WWE in months

Which statement is the Lie?

If you haven't watched any WWE in Months how do you know what the rest have been like?

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

I genuinely think that they are expecting fans to flock back when the fans come back to arenas.

The problem is so deep rooted in the wwe system I don’t no what they need to do to shake theirselves out of it I thought Hhh would be the one to bring change but seeing Nxt I have severe doubts.

I’m paying  to go to wrestlemania next year with my cousin as it’s a lifelong dream for him but at this moment my intrest in the shows are all time low 

I believe they need a complete overhaul of their whole system.. 

Booking needs to be old school and logical, its thhe simple stuff that sells. 

Ditch the glitzy, shiny sets. It's all too much. Tone it right down. It doesn't have to look like an ADHD wet dream. 

Ditch the work rate squad for ppl that may actually draw. Nobody cares about any of these people because it's presented as bullshit. 

For reasons I’ll never totally comprehend, probably just so that it doesn’t stay in the ‘Continue Watching’ section for the rest of time, I ended up watching the rest of this.

I was actually quite enjoying Asuka/Sasha until the end. I mentioned heel authority figures being played out before, but surely someone, anyone with a modicum of authority could’ve come out and told Bayley “oi! What the fuck are you doing? You’re not a ref, pack this shit in” or the original ref could’ve just DQed Asuka for the mist. I’m not saying that either of those are great finishes, but either would’ve been better than the match just ends because Bayley puts a ref shirt on.

And that Swamp Fight- what a load of shite. One of the worst things they’ve done since Wyatt v Orton in that Rob Zombie Spook-House match a couple of years back.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, big7thletter said:

These new cinematic matches are the new "on a pole" matches :( forget Judy Bagwell on a pole, it's now a boneyard match or a swamp match or a soon-to-be swimming pool gauntlet match

I've not watched anything new for a while but how does the swamp match stack up next to the classic Batb graveyard match, because that's all I'm picturing. 

10 hours ago, Mikeymike83 said:

I sometimes wonder as well, the current crop are probably the biggest marks the business has ever had. There is no way, in any other era (even probably the other hideous run they had - 1995 ish), would the top talent be happy to do some of the garbage that these lot put up with. If you want to be at the very top, who would be agreeing to do some of the utter shite that old man Vinnie has them doing? Prime Hogan, Savage, Austin, Michaels, even Cena would have put their foot down a long time ago. And rightly so. If you're good enough, anyone can come back from an ill conceived feud/angle or two. But constant garbage week after week is absolute insanity. So many of their current crop would be huge by today's standards had they been afforded/demanded favoured booking that previous generations had.

Oh come on, that’s completely unfair. The power dynamic has quite clearly changed since the days of Hogan and Austin, with WWE now being cash rich. Cena, on the other hand, was clearly a company man, not that I’d criticise him for that.

The vast majority of wrestlers right now have very little leverage, and if they were to kick up a stink, there’s every chance they could be replaced by someone more compliant.

If a wrestler is making a good living, why wouldn’t they keep doing as you’re told? What have they got to gain from protesting about creative or their position on the card?

But let’s assume someone did. Why would the company listen? McMahon, rightly or wrongly, can point to WWE’s revenue streams. He can point to his own track record. Why would one wrestler’s opinion outweigh that in his mind?

If a wrestler is able to enjoy a comfortable life because of this shitty television show, power to them. 

11 hours ago, garynysmon said:

do know what you mean though, past glories and nostalgia mean that the WWE gets so many more second chances and free passes than fans would give any other wrestling promotion.

See I'd say it's the opposite these days from what I read, not necessarily on here but I constantly see them getting bashed no matter what they do.

Don't get me wrong they do deserve some shit they get but for a lot of "fans" its the cool thing to do these days.