UFC 252: Miocic vs Cormier 3 - Aug 15 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

despite missing it, i am surprised that so little was made of the eye injury from a doctors standpoint. DC openly said between rounds 'i cant see' and no one seemed be interested. If that thing had got checked we probably would have got a Stipe TKO after round 3 (i think it was).

• Paid Members

Stipe vs DC 3 wasn’t the classic I was hoping for. Nowhere near as good as their second fight. It was alright though. Wouldn’t have been Miocic vs Cormier without some eye poking, would it? Had Stipe winning fairly clearly, probably 49-46, but Cormier certainly didn’t disgrace himself. What the balls was Cruz on about though? Something like ‘DC told me before that he likes to take the third round off’. That’s the dumbest shit he’s said since he claimed Conor was deliberately letting Khabib batter him as a genius tactic to tire Khabib out. LOL. Fuck out. The commentators badly wanted DC to win and they didn’t even try to hide it. I get that they work with him and no doubt have closer relationships with him than they do with Stipe but Christ, at least try to be professional about it. Like even with the eye poke on DC, they were all oohing and ahhing and going ‘oh my god’ and shit. Don’t remember them saying much about DC’s eye pokes on Stipe in all 3 fights though. And I’m a DC fan. I hate the commentary bias though. Then they were acting like the decision was up in the air when Stipe won at least 3 of the rounds, most likely 4. Even deep into the 5th Cruz was there doing the ‘I don’t know how the judges are gonna score this’ bit. Whatever. It was a good fight, Stipe looked every bit the best Heavyweight on the planet and DC didn’t get finished at least and can go out with his head up. Best case scenario in a lot of ways.  

Stipe was fun at the press conference if you haven’t seen it. Couldn’t understand half of his mumbling like, but his happiness in general is infectious. I was glad to hear him rubbishing people saying he’s retiring soon. I could swear he was hinting at being done soon myself but if that was the plan, it doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. Even at 38, I think he can reign for a while yet looking at the current Heavyweight landscape. Ngannou’s still the biggest threat to his title but Stipe’s already got the blueprint to beat him. If he goes 2-0 over Ngannou, and I think he will, I see him basically holding the belt until he either decides to walk away or declines. Whichever comes first. I’d like to see him go out as champ. Not yet though. I hope we get a couple more years at least out of him yet. 

Vera vs O’Malley didn’t go to plan, did it? That was not the result the UFC wanted. I don’t hate it. I like O’Malley but I like Vera too and I always enjoy seeing a guy who wasn’t supposed to win come in and flip the script. Seen the whinging about the stoppage but I thought it was fairly obvious that it was Vera’s calf kicks that did the damage that led to the injury. And then the shots at the end on the ground, I see people crying early stoppage but Suga looked like he went out for a second to me. He went limp for a second and it looked like he got flash KO’d. Once a ref sees that, it’s over. I’d rather that than letting him keep taking shots. No matter how briefly he went out, it looked like he went out. Vera won on merit for sure. He caused the leg to go out and he turned O’Malley’s lights off and back on at the end. Rogan trying to start moaning about the stoppage was bollocks because you know if the roles were reversed and O’Malley got the win like that, Rogan wouldn’t have said anything and would be declaring O’Malley the future pound-for-pound king. 

Rozenstruik vs Dos Santos was good while it lasted but it sadly ended pretty much exactly how I imagined it would. Never gets any easier watching JDS get put down. On the flipside I was happy for Bigi Boy. He needed a showing like this after Ngannou pissed through him last time. JDS looked pretty good for most of the fight as well. Still moves well, still looks like a threat when he throws. But he doesn’t handle shots like he used to. He’s not a glass jaw by any means but this is a man who ate pretty clean punches from Shane Carwin, Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt and Gilbert Yvel and didn’t even acknowledge them. Everyone’s got a limit on their punch card though and I think a combination of that and him being a step slower to get out of the way has left him in harm’s way more.

What next at Heavyweight? Obviously we’re getting Miocic vs Ngannou 2 for the gold. Below that? I’d love to see Rozenstruik vs Lewis next. Got a feeling they might throw Rozenstruik in with Blaydes though, which I think is a terrible matchup for Rozey. Guessing we get Lewis vs the winner of the upcoming Overeem/Sakai fight as well. 

Pineda vs Burns was the surprise of the night for me. Didn’t expect Burns to get dominated and beat down like that. Like I said before though, Burns missing weight could’ve been indicative of him carrying an injury. I saw somewhere as well yesterday that Burns had COVID just a few weeks ago when Gilbert got it. So taking this fight so soon after that was probably a mistake and it all adds up why he missed weight and looked like he didn’t train for this. Because he probably didn’t really. Not taking away from Pineda’s performance, he did the business and looked good. But Burns didn’t look right to me at all.

Really enjoyed Vinc Pichel vs Jim Miller on the prelims. Real good fight. Miller was a handful early on but Pichel put in probably the best showing I’ve seen out of him and just outlasted Miller, which is no easy task.

Virna Jandiroba cutting straight through Felice Herrig like butter was a highlight of the card for me. One because I’ve never liked Herrig and also Jandiroba’s grappling was tremendous. Herrig isn’t bad on the ground either but Jandiroba was on a different level and just made it look effortless. Reminded me of BJ Penn at his best the way she just controlled and smoothly transitioned from position to position until she got the finish. It was a beautiful display. Went in a bit indifferent to Jandiroba but now I’m really looking forward to her next fight. She does seem a bit of a one trick pony but there aren’t that many women at Strawweight who I see stopping that one trick. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Stipe v Ngannou 2 makes it throb a bit, eh?

You would hope Ngannou will have learned a lot after the first one. Stipe will also feel confident he's too skillful and slippery for Ngannou to touch. As always, it's whether Stipe can make it out of that mad 2 minute tornado of a Ngannou fight.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

how? Goddard deemed the damage was caused by a punch, or would they have gone to a replay?

Ahhh right, had a brain melt for a second. Yes, in that event then it probably would have been declared a TKO for Stipe.

I was thinking more in terms of had Goddard seen it and called in the doctor. Then it would have surely been declared a no-contest had the doctor stopped it. 

22 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

I'm sure the nonces on here that hate on DC will take great satisfaction in how that eye poke went down, after the first fight. Proper crap refereeing though.

It isn't so much satisfaction that a man had his eye almost poked out, but rather a sense of karma coming home to roost to an extent. Cormier is fucking terrible for putting those chubby fingers out there, and after yet another poke to Stipe earlier in the fight I was like "Yup, here we go again."

So yeah, hopefully the dude is okay, but if this had happened to him a few years back he may have thought twice about doing it to other fighters.

Oh, and fuck DC. Good riddance to the crying lump. Back to the booth he goes, where he'll hopefully stay.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Ahhh right, had a brain melt for a second. Yes, in that event then it probably would have been declared a TKO for Stipe.

I was thinking more in terms of had Goddard seen it and called in the doctor. Then it would have surely been declared a no-contest had the doctor stopped it. 

yeh it probably would have been called off. 

Onto the first point, maybe they can go back and check the replay? im sure Vegas allows it (only certain commissions do). Once they do check the replay though the fight is over no matter whether it was a poke or not. So in this case it may have been ruled a no contest, im not entirely sure though.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, David said:

It isn't so much satisfaction that a man had his eye almost poked out, but rather a sense of karma coming home to roost to an extent. Cormier is fucking terrible for putting those chubby fingers out there, and after yet another poke to Stipe earlier in the fight I was like "Yup, here we go again."

So yeah, hopefully the dude is okay, but if this had happened to him a few years back he may have thought twice about doing it to other fighters.

Oh, and fuck DC. Good riddance to the crying lump. Back to the booth he goes, where he'll hopefully stay.

Not DCs fault people kept attacking his fingers with their eye balls. Poor guy always had trouble shoving a kebab down his throat after fights (he managed because that's what champions do).

Brave.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I was and still am absolutely gutted for DC. We know how hard he takes loses and despite not winning he is always going to be around the best ever discussions in my opinion.

Jones is the best ever LHW, Stipe is the best ever HW of all time now, but DC reached the peak of both divisions, surely he can be in the discussion for top 10 or even top 5 pound for pound of all time. Just because he didn't cement his legacy in one division as the best ever doesn't mean that he doesn't leave behind a legacy that almost every MMA fighter in the world would strive to have.

The man has done it all apart from beat Jones. Imagine how much he could have accomplished if he got into MMA a little earlier in life, would his wrestling be less effective as he had less time developing it or would his body have been able to hold out a lot longer as he would have reached his peak in his mid 30's instead of late 30's? I don't know the answer to that but the man is a legend and I love seeing him on my screen, I am sad he has retired because I will never get to see him fight again but I take comfort and happiness in the fact that he will still be commentating on my scren.

Sean O'Malley will come back stronger, the loss might be a good thing for him, he was getting a bit above his station, the humbling might do him good. I am never going to be tough enough to step foot in a cage myself so I don't want to sound like a keyboard warrior but his crying over his leg was a bit OTT, the stretcher more so. If you are a UFC fighter who is trying to convey a tough guy image for your future opponents the last thing you want is to be showing such a vulnerable side. If I was O'Malley's next opponent I would be referencing that scene during all of the fight build ups but questioning his mental and physical toughness. I'm still a big fan of his and I will be cheering him on when ever his next fight is.

1 hour ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

I was and still am absolutely gutted for DC. We know how hard he takes loses and despite not winning he is always going to be around the best ever discussions in my opinion.

Jones is the best ever LHW, Stipe is the best ever HW of all time now, but DC reached the peak of both divisions, surely he can be in the discussion for top 10 or even top 5 pound for pound of all time. Just because he didn't cement his legacy in one division as the best ever doesn't mean that he doesn't leave behind a legacy that almost every MMA fighter in the world would strive to have.

The man has done it all apart from beat Jones. Imagine how much he could have accomplished if he got into MMA a little earlier in life, would his wrestling be less effective as he had less time developing it or would his body have been able to hold out a lot longer as he would have reached his peak in his mid 30's instead of late 30's? I don't know the answer to that but the man is a legend and I love seeing him on my screen, I am sad he has retired because I will never get to see him fight again but I take comfort and happiness in the fact that he will still be commentating on my scren.

DC is what he's always been. A nearly man. Good, but not quite good enough.

Basically, he's a fat Jon Fitch.