Sign in to follow this  
waters44

Musicals are rubbish

The stand-out musicals I've seen have been Waitress, Blood Brothers, (for the fifth time) and The Book of Mormon, Rocky Horror, and Sweeny Todd. I'm not usually a musicals guy, (fucking hate panto too) as I prefer my theatre physical or straight, but in the same way that I'm not a fan of most ska or reggae music, but like the odd song, some musicals blow me away. 

6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

, very often, it takes a very skilful musician/singer to deliberately sing badly.

That must be the angle Ocean Colour Scene went for. 

Most of the Lloyd-Webber ones from the 80s were off their heads. "Starlight Express", "Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Coat", "Cats". I'll forgive him about "Chess" because most of ABBA wrote that, and it could easily be turned into a film. "Phantom of the Opera" was class though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I watched Hamilton last night. It is very good for around 90 minutes but the problem is it's 2 hours 40 minutes long. Definitely overstays its welcome.

I'm interested in seeing a proper film version of it but also have no idea how it wouldn't be rubbish.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, KingofSports said:

I enjoyed the original album recording of Jesus Christ Superstar, the proceeds from which (unfortunately) funded the stage musical. The part of Jesus was originally sung by Ian Gillan (Deep Purple, Gillan etc), at a time when his voice was simply amazing...he later went on to destroy it. Yvonne Elliman also sung on the original album & was cast in the stage version. The part of Judas, on the album version was played by one Paul Gadd, who later became a prolific, high-profile paedophile. Lovely stuff. Stage musicals can fuck right off.

My favourite track from JCS. Didn't know there was some footage to go with it, albeit out of sync. Awesome vocal performance.