This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Matchroom Boxing tomorrow night on Sky. This what's left of the Whyte/Povetkin 2 card. Fun little trio of fights at the top of the card:

Conor_Benn_vs_Sebastian_Formella_resMain

Connor Benn vs. Sebastien Formella

Alen Babic vs. Tom Little

Fabio Wardley vs. Richard Lartey

Liam Davies vs. Sean Cairns

Ben Ridings vs. Jez Smith

I'm all in for the top 3 fights there.

Connor Benn has a proper step up. Formella took Shawn Porter the distance last time out and is a former secondary World Title Holder. Bookies has it as a bit of a pick em, so this should be good.

Babic/Little should be bananas. Tom Little is easily in the best shape of his career but its all about if he wilts under that Babic pressure. Babic has promised to throw at least 100 punches per round. Nutter.

Wardley/Lartey. Who knows? Id binned Lartey off after he burned me against Gorman but hes got anothet shot here. Wardley is expected to win comfortably but hopefully it isnt the horrid clash of styles that Gorman/Lartey was. No Lartey, No Party.

Should be good.

• Paid Members

I love Babic. Not convinced he goes that far in the division but he’s great to watch and I’m becoming a fan of his. It’s guys like him that make me glad Dave Allen retired when he did. You have to think Babic vs Allen was coming soon and that wouldn’t have been good news for the Rhino.

Benn fight should be exciting, they always are. Don’t recall seeing Formella but it sounds like quite a step up for Benn. Saw an interview with Hearn saying they offered Benn a list of about 10 names, Formella being the toughest of the lot, and Benn went for that because he wants the hardest test. Got to hand it to him. Especially after a year-plus out of action. Definitely his father’s son. 

• Paid Members

Connor Benn looked great. What a nasty little bastard. I can't imagine many people standing upto abuse like that for 10 rounds, Formella was tough as nails. Benn was angry in the post fight interview too, loved that. So many good domestic fights to make, its time to hold off on these potential banana peel fights against random foreigners and make the domestic fights. I think id favour Benn over Josh Kelly right now.

Alen Babic did his thing. I think Little tried to let Babic punch himself out but ended getting knackered in the process. God knows how far Babic goes but Eddie needs to find someone who will go in and throw hands with him in a slugest. Babic would clean up in Prizefighter.

The Party is over for Richard Lartey, back to the African club circuit you go. This was suspect, anyone else think that? I think somewhere in England someone Lartey knows cashed big on a Wardley second round KO. Hmmmm...

Promo of the year so far, for those who havent seen it.

Wouldnt fancy being his sisters fella!

I love Benn, but would fancy Kelly to slightly outclass him, but would be great to watch. Kelly may lose his next fight i suspect so Benn/Kelly may not happen.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

Yeh, fantastic work from Benn on the mic. That's how its done.

I just fancy Benn to maybe drag Kelly into the kind of fight he wont be able to cope in. Until Saturday id have picked Kelly all day, now ive swung the other way.

• Paid Members

Not too far, to be honest. I just think he’s going to be too small and it’s not even like he’s got the technical skills to make for it. Like Usyk will probably struggle at the very top level just due to the size and power he’ll be up against. But he’s a slick enough boxer that he’ll probably beat most guys below the top 2 or 3. With Babic, he’s just all haymakers all the time pretty much. It’s great to watch but it’s not really a style that lends itself to being the smaller man all the time. Of course, he’ll bash up big slugs like Tom Little all day though.

Whatever happens, it’ll be exciting to watch. 

• Paid Members

weekly poster drop for whats ahead, these are both tonight (friday):

Tony Yoka vs. Christian Hammer. Boxnation have picked this up, live in France this evening (also on Premier Sports). Im gonna try catching this tonight, Yoka is a sleeper at heavyweight. 

IMG_20201127_135438.thumb.jpg.0bfe287a9b8403ca114b8c7f172d2f56.jpg

then...

Jacobs/Rosado. Feels like a highish profile tickover for Jacobs but Rosado is always is good fights so this should be worth watching. No UK TV from what i can gather but this is the kind of show which will be ok DAZN UK when it launches next month.

0_li25ntYP4xMmDWHp.0.thumb.jpg.4e2445685b01ad4810070557606ea923.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Fuck, I thought the Jacobs fight was still a couple of weeks off yet. Bollocks that it’s not on telly anywhere here. Seems to be happening a bit more lately but, like you say, DAZN will most likely plug those gaps when it launches here.