This Weekend's Boxing πŸ₯Š (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

good point πŸ˜„

Id imagine Warren will do good numbers at the Albert Hall tomorrow for this too, sure a bunch of people in town for the final will attend this tomorrow night, not sure if the venue is full capacity. Could be a good atmosphere with the whole England/Italy thing.Β 

• Paid Members

only one real meaningful show this weekend, but its a good one.

Super Welterweight Unification!

20210715_094718.thumb.jpg.6b2a34fd426c4db85f23f06f8c9f6084.jpg

We are lucky if we get one unification fight a year, but this will be the second of 2021. All 4 major belts on the line, plus the Ring belt. This is what its all about.

Showtime have done an All Access special for it too, which is nice:

Only on Fite TV over here unfortunately, so it'll cost you a few quid.Β 

• Paid Members

bit of a shame that a shitty scorecard is overshadowing how good Charlo/Castano was last weekend. I had Castano by 2-3 rounds, thought i could justify a draw. 117-111 to Charlo is just one of the worst cards ive ever read, shocking.

A rematch would be great though.

• Paid Members

Should have been watching Fury/Wilder 2 days, that went up in smoke but we are left with this on BT Sports Saturday evening:

20210722_193727.thumb.jpg.fe75844040e7b0a18c3fd927eeef21cc.jpg

Solid little card that.

I didnt think much of Takam/Joyce originally but the closer its got the more ive found myself interested in it. It seems like a routine next step for Joyce but this may end up being his hardest fight. Takam is 40, but hes one of those Yoel Romero types who is always in ridiculous shape. He's won 4 straight since losing to Chisora and the winner will be made a mandatory to AJ so hes gonna be bang up for it.

I expect Joyce to slowly break up him down and maybe get a late stoppage but i think this could be dicey for Joe for the opening half of the fight.Β 

Big ol' size difference too:

20210722_193711.thumb.jpg.7e3ec1381801381bd90e5de81a793973.jpg

Β 

• Paid Members

Joe Joyce is an anomoly isnt he?Β  (i probably say that at the end of every Joyce fight) theres no one else like him. Like i'd expected he a had a shaky couple of rounds but his chin is so good he doesnt seem to mind eating overhands. He just slowly finds his way into the fight and in round 6 he busted out some unexpected handspeed and got Takam out of there. The stoppage was abit early, but Joyce wasnt gonna stop throwing so it was probably the right call.

SPORT-PREVIEW-Joyce-Takam-Report.thumb.webp.8cd489cb38edcfb7437f00bcf657af86.webp

Im starting to love the big lump.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Fight Camp starts tomorrow then. The lineup has divided opinion but theres lots to like, plus im real interested to see how Matchroom present the show on DAZN. Absolute kicker that they lot Benn/Granados as that was the fight that would hace generated the interest but whats left is solid. Still its abit of a blow for the launch show.Β 

They are hoping to get Benn/Granados on the August 14th show.

Screenshot_20210730-171946_Twitter.jpg.de82975c43d8ec918848cff87eeebe04.jpg

Β 

• Paid Members

Good opening to Fight Camp. What a performance from Leigh Wood! i dont know if it was a case of catching Can Xu on the downswing, coming off a long lay off, or having the power to put Can into his shell, but there was no sign of the guy who broke Compubox punch numbers. Wood should have been winning comfortably on the cards but the 12 round stoppage was the icing on the cake.

Billam-Smith/McCarthy had a cruiserweight humdinger. Thought McCarthy punched it myself but it was close.

Jack Cullen made a mockery of the Avni Yildrim ever been the WBC mandatory for Canelo Alvarez earlier in the year. 100-90 on one card (which was a tad harsh).

Liked it though, presentation wasnt to disimiliar to the Sky broadcast but the absence of Adam Smith on commentary was lovely.

• Paid Members

Yeah. Smith out and Maya Jama in. Upgrade for sure.

Really enjoyed the CBS vs McCarthy fight as well. Felt like McCarthy edged it myself but my sister and the kids were here so it was a madhouse, wasn’tΒ exactly scoring it properly.

Leigh Wood looked really impressive as well as you say. But then againΒ he was only fighting a Can.

Considering the hit the cardΒ took losing Benn vs Granados, I thought it was a really fun show to watch.Β 

• Paid Members

i saw the usual negativity on twitter regarding Jama and Laura Woods being on the show as they aren't boxing experts, but they are professional television presenters who know how to anchor a show, i had zero issue with it. Look good too.

The commentary is an upgrade, Adam Smith become insufferable so to hear Chris Lloyd actual call an entire show was nice. On Sky it always felt like the the better commentary teams called the early fights before Smith shoehorned his way in for the main card.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

no ones probably aware of this but there's a Triller show tonight:

20210803_114113.jpg.a3f458beb6d2fe0a1bf1e2397420d0af.jpg

Its some new series that will air on Tursday nights. Its completely free on Fite TV and i have a free evening tomorrow tonight so im gonna check it out. Theres some music bullshit mixed in but im hoping this is a way toned down version from that awful Jake Paul/Ben Askren broadcast.

Michael Hunter in the main event who i like. Hes in or around the heavyweight discussion constantly but rarely fights, hopefully he stays active after this.Β 

Chris Algeri is being let out of the cage in the co-main event.

• Paid Members

well, thatΒ was violent:

Wilson somehow got up after that, it was waved off though. I like Hunter, hes way too small to be a heavyweight but hes aggressive and likes a fight. People are getting on him for avoiding a fight with Hrgovic but according to him that was all to do with this new Triller deal.

This show gave me some hope for Triller. The boxing portion was 90 mins long and it was presented as a proper boxing show. The music portion was shown after the fights and all the mocking and farcial elements of that Askren/Paul show were gone. Bodes well for that De La Hoya/Belfort show.

• Paid Members

completely forgot to post about the under the radar Conlan/Doheny fight last night, but i hope to catch that.

Tonight is Fight Camp night 2 though.Β 

20210807_111631.thumb.jpg.5399c05959e095157298e742473b29fc.jpg

Bit of a different feel to last week. 3 heavyweight fights on a 5 fight bill, it could be an exciting night.

Galahad/Dickens aint getting much love its gonna end with British stalwart with a World Title around his waist. Galahad really should already be a Champion after that shady loss to Warrington but id love to see Jazza Dickens pull this off. Just a proper rags to riches story, andΒ a guy who has had to do everything the hard way in the pros, id love to see him do it.

oh, and the Muhammad Ali of women's boxing, Ebanie Bridges is on there too.

Screenshot_20210807-111013_Instagram.jpg.781636c23b952a6abded9cd4cfec71ec.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen