This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Well, Parker/Fa was underwhelming. I loves me Joseph Parker but he just has a habit of being able to have a poor fight with anyone, bit odd considering how conventional a boxer he is. People are raging about the scores, but it was all very tit for tat, i thought Parker nicked it but there was not a lot in any of the rounds really. Seems the judges gave all the tight rounds to Parker.

The co-main event however was tremendous in a really so bad its good kind of way. Hemi Ahio against a 7ft 1", 43 year old Julius Long. Literally consisted of Ahio pinning Long againsts the ropes and attempting to chop down the tree. It was beautifully sloppy and entertaining at the same time. This was J-MMA levels of weirdness, loved it. Actually liked the look of Ahio, looks a good little brawler, id watch him again. Apparently he's the hardest puncher at City Kickboxing and he was laying them into Long all night long, the big man earned his cheque.

• Paid Members

Squash matches are fun sometimes.

A8AD661F-2B24-4CE2-B3F4-6836E5073E63.gif

Love watching Canelo. This was a nothing fight but I don’t care. He’s just beat Callum Smith in December. Having a little easy tickover in February is fine as long as his next fight is a proper one. 

And the Saunders fight is confirmed for May. 

16EF1C8D-DF07-4292-A62A-20F51C78F37E.jpeg

Fighters taking mandatories or stay busy fights during the pandemic is a wise decision. Those who haven't fought since 2019 are going to be at a disadvantage once everything gets back to normal. We saw it with Josh Warrington the other week, mentally and physically not prepared for it.

Don't think I can look past a Canelo victory in May. For as slick as Saunders can be, the engine is not there and he goes wanting at times. The laboured win over Martin Murray who's been threatening to retire for the past 5 years, shows what level he's at. I expected David Lemeuix to wipe him out a few years back, so he can pull something out the bag when needed but Canelo is top echelon at the moment.

The timing and preparation is also interesting. After Kovalev had a hard fought win over Anthony Yarde. He was back in the ring fighting Canelo 9 weeks later. The roles are reversed in this scenario. But again it's another 9 week gap and still in Canelo's favour. There's not enough time for a full 8 week training camp and press. (I guess this is going to be on PPV) If it's in the US, that's another few days to be acclimatised to the time difference and jet lag. Hopefully this has been in the pipeline for a while and Saunders has been fight training in the background. Knowing if Canelo gets through Yildrim the unification fight will happen. This is the biggest fight in his career and probably biggest payday. If it doesn't go well, he may be looking to cash out.

• Paid Members

Well, it was pointless wasnt it.

From everything id read, i at least expected Yildrim come in and make something happen, but he turtled up and had no chance from the opening bell. They pulled him out after round 3, not so much because he was hurt but because he wasn't trying and was going to get hurt, just a shitty, deflating situation. He apparently made $2.5million for his troubles, so decent work if you can get it.

I cant see Saunders doing anything to Canelo at this point. Even if it goes the distance Saunders will have to have cleanly won rounds to get anything, it aint gonna happen. Especially at 168.

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed former UFC title Challenger John Moraga fighting on the undercard, he fought uber prospect Marc Castro and got smushed in 2 rounds.

• Paid Members

slim pickings this weekend, which is probably a good thing with 259 happening, but Boxnation has picked this up for tonight, on live from 7.45pm:

IMG_20210305_142933.thumb.jpg.0213049c1a38a34cead0a91de665fe80.jpg

Seems like Tony Yoka's last fight before making a proper move on the heavyweight top 10, i'll be watching.

Only other show is an all-female show tomorrow headed by Claressa Shields looking to unify her second division. Impressive achievment but likely as much a result of how thin the actual divisions are in the womens boxing. Im more interested in Shield' move into MMA which is coming after this fight. Pretty sad that no network wanted the fight in America either, the thing has ended up on Fite TV.

IMG_20210305_142710.thumb.jpg.aca206bbf92e6794b811c2ee96b70ba9.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

well, Shields predictably won a decision. Lots of debate over why she isnt more popular afterwards, despite being so dominant. Look at these punch stats:

IMG_20210306_100540.thumb.jpg.c96553624984311bf5333088f061a3b6.jpg

Utterly ridiculous. The problem with Shields it completely exposes the lack of depth in Womens boxing, shes so far ahead of everyone else it almost seems unfair. I cant wait for this MMA move.

Savannah Marshall is the one that won't go away and it should happen sometime down the line as Shields needs to avenge her loss in the amateurs to Marshall, it still eats her up alive inside. I'm more then up for that fight too, I think it be really good.

• Paid Members

this weekend:

Saturday night, live on DAZN...

IMG_20210312_093952.thumb.jpg.cd9dba38dca1d1a41d063bca5e6af7be.jpg

This is a proper hardcore's superfight. DAZN have done quality promotional pieces on this to get you upto speed. Crazy that Chocolatito was written off a few years ago as finished, now look at him. Little fellas will goto war. Undercard is full of Matchrooms up and coming American talent and 2 other world title fights.

Then Showtime has this (Fite TV over here).

IMG_20210312_093755.thumb.jpg.0d6b7a6b3e400ada22c1dcb8e812ce36.jpg

Feels like a stay busy for Benavidez. He seems to have his weight in order though and a showcase like performance will throw his name in the Canelo/title hat. Benavidez is propably the most exciting guy in the division. Ellis is a fringe level contender on paper, never been stopped though and is 18-1, this could be decent.