This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Some fights on this weekend and the 2021 schedule really starts to get under way (was a Shobox show last weekend but it got buried under UFC hype).

Anyway tonight is a shit show. Dunno if anyone followed this saga, but Don King was putting a card featuring a main event for the WBA Heavyweight Championship (Regular). Manuel Charr vs. Trevor Bryan.

Manuel-Charr-vs-Trevor-Bryan.jpg

Both Charr and Bryan somehow hold version of the WBA World Title despite neither man having fought in over 2 years. The card was supposed to be this (as of a few days ago):

Manuel Charr vs. Trevor Bryan

Beirbut Shumenov vs. Raphael Murphy

Bermane Stiverne vs. Christopher Lovejoy

Now the show is a PPV through Fite TV and whilst i wouldnt be paying for that, that 3 fight bill was sloppy enough looking to make me wanna check it out. Then Don King happened...

Charr had visa issues and blamed King's side not signing certain things to clear him. Charr was trying desperately to resolve the issue and even boarded a flight to America. King binned it off and decided to go another route. All whilst Fres Oquendo filed an injunction to stop the fight happening claiming the WBA owed him a shot at the belt...Oquendo is 47 years old and hasnt fought in over 7 years.

Meanwhile Christopher Lovejoy despite being advertised claims to have never even signed a contract to fight. As for Beibut Shumenov? he never signed to fight either despite being a Cruiserweight World Champion.

So now, on PPV...for the WBA World Heavyweight Title (Regular) you have this:

5-7.jpg

Despite losing his last 2 fights, and havent not won a fight in over 5 years, Bermane Stiverne has a crack at a version of the heavyweight title.

Boxing.

Saturday is better (sadly no UK TV though):

01.30_1920x1080.jpg

If you still aint familiar with Caleb Plant, its probably a good time to get on board. He holds the IBF 168lb Title and will likely be in the Canelo crosshairs before the end of the year. He should cruise past Truax whos probably on the way down (but you may remember beating James DeGale). Im in for this though. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Moderators
On 1/29/2021 at 3:23 PM, Egg Shen said:

If you still aint familiar with Caleb Plant, its probably a good time to get on board. He holds the IBF 168lb Title and will likely be in the Canelo crosshairs before the end of the year. He should cruise past Truax whos probably on the way down (but you may remember beating James DeGale). Im in for this though. 

Plant easily won that match, but he didn't look great in it. He said he broke his hand early on. Still, felt like he should've put Truax away. I wouldn't imagine Canelo is too nervous after watching that.

• Paid Members

I had it spoiled fot me by recommended video on youtube which was annoying, but watched the highlights. As much as i like Plant, i do agree, he has nothing for Canelo, just doesn't have the fire power. I would like to see Plant/Saunders though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

right here's your weekend boxing primer...

Saturday night:

IMG_20210212_134707.thumb.jpg.99a65a60d80cecb46780fb3c451e5210.jpg

Where to watch: Sky Sports.

Bit of a weird comeback show this. Initial plans were for a massive Josh Warrington unification fight. Deals couldnt be met, Warrington was ordered to bring forward his mandatory (Kid Galahad) but decided to bin his IBF Title and got another route. So this is essentially a stop gap until he lands another world title fight. Know fuck all about Lara other than he's Mexican, had a good KO ratio and promises a war. So on paper this may end up being better than it has any right to be.

Classic prospect/veteran fight as the co-main too, Zelfa Barrett against Kiko Martinez. Proper case of getting a former world champion on the record whilst hes on the slide. Martinez is still somehow only 34 though. 

Then there's these on too:

IMG_20210212_135358.jpg.a69a74fa97a7406f5bdc539175be644c.jpg

Where to watch: DAZN

Diaz making the first defence of his IBF Featherweight Title. Rakhimov is about of an unknown quantity but ive heard on a couple of podcasts that they expect this to be a barnburner.

IMG_20210212_135905.thumb.jpg.2f52f3f17dec41d809bba99a33c7b10a.jpg

Where to watch: Boxnation (repeated on Freesports on Tuesday night).

Not alot to add here. This was meant to be headlined by Joe Smith Jr. challenging for a world title but his opponent fell off with covid. so Commey/Martinez steps into the main event slot. Commey's first fight since getting whiped out by Teofimo Lopez.

That's ya lot.

Edited by Egg Shen

Wood by TKO and Barrett by TKO looks like a safe double bet. Kiko Martinez isn't the force he was, lots of wars have taken it out of him plus he's competing a few weights higher than his peak years. Ben Davison states Wood is the hardest puncher he has took on the pads P4P. 

The Warrington fight should be a nice keep busy fight as he aims for the other titlist. 

Anytime I hear Terry O’Connor or Howard Foster being involved in the match I get shivers. How on earth did the judges have Zefra winning by 7 rounds? Shocking. 

Edited by stewdogg
I know Foster didn’t have 7 rounds his was just 3 but that was 3 too many

• Paid Members
On 2/12/2021 at 2:53 PM, Egg Shen said:

Kiko Martinez has 9 defeats on his record and looking at his record i think ive seen him fight 7 times in total, and he lost all 7.

Look who he has lost too though. Up until tonight everyone who beat him was a world champion or went on to be world champion. We will have to see with Barrett but that was a terrible decision tonight. 

When you think how quick Howard Foster was to stop Groves against Froch all those years back as well. The UK has to have the worst judges in the world right now. I read online, i don't know if true or not, that 2 judges had Warrington ahead before he got stopped. He basically lost 90% of the fight after the opening minute. 

Lara must carry some decent power. Sky commentary kept saying Josh was flat, i think that was because of Laras heavy hands. 

In hindsight It’s turned out to be a bad career move by Warrington. Leaves Warren to sign with Matchroom, vacates his title to avoid fight Kid Galahad again, agrees to fight an unheard of opponent and gets battered. Warrington was 1/25 on Sky Bet.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Mr Lawrence said:

Lara must carry some decent power. Sky commentary kept saying Josh was flat, i think that was because of Laras heavy hands.

Yeah, British boxing commentators seem to absolutely love harping on the negatives. If a fighter is getting beat up they’ll always bang on more about what they’re doing wrong rather than what the other fighter is doing right. Not saying they shouldn’t talk about mistakes a fighter is making but when it’s just constant criticism it really starts to grate. Round after round of ‘he looks flat, he’s not using the jab enough, he’s being too aggressive, he’s not being aggressive enough’ and the worst ‘he looks like he’s feeling sorry for himself/he’s looking for a way out’ which encourages other fighters, and their corners, to stay in there too long because they’re worried about being painted with the ‘quitter’ brush. It’s mostly the Sky/Matchroom lot as well. And it’s been that way for fucking donkeys years. I blame Jim ‘Chuckles’ Watt. The current crop of commentators no doubt grew up listening to his miserable, negative and colourless colour commentary and followed suit and now it’s ingrained.

The Warrington fight was a right shocker though. Last thing I, or anyone else, expected going in. Never really been a fan of the old Space Raider but hopefully he’s alright. It was rough to watch.   

Whoever gives Josh Warrington managerial advice needs to stop. He switched from Warren to Matchroom in search of getting the big title fights at featherweight. He doesn't want the mandatory title defence against Kid Galahad so vacates the belt. Again reason being, he wants the big fights, even though he doesn't have a belt now as a bargaining chip. Takes a stay busy fight against an unknown, hard hitting, Mexican. He gets beat and is now left with nothing.