This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah Canelo put a hurting on Smith. Love to see him break Saunders up. As much as people try to paint BJS as the Canelo boogeyman, I just don’t see it. He’s a good boxer but I just don’t think he’s got the pop in his punches to keep Canelo off him. If it happens, I see it going kind of similar to the Khan fight. With Saunders having early success...right up until he goes to sleep.

Oh, the Lyndon Arthur-Anthony Yarde stuff isn’t going away. Lyndon’s mate Bugzy Malone has thrown his two penneth into the rivalry now. 

• Paid Members

I do love myself some Bugzy. His FITB was definitely up there with the best. And I love to see this sort of thing in boxing - he's doing the wrestling manager mouthpiece thing for Arthur, but with more cultural credibility.

18 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

As much as people try to paint BJS as the Canelo boogeyman, I just don’t see it. He’s a good boxer but I just don’t think he’s got the pop in his punches to keep Canelo off him. If it happens, I see it going kind of similar to the Khan fight. With Saunders having early success...right up until he goes to sleep.

It's the only fight out there at the moment I really want to see, though. 

• Paid Members

Canelo said he's going after belts and I dont see him going back to Middleweight, so you're looking at Saunders or Plant at 168lb. 

Caleb Plant seems to be getting more traction online from a US perspective, id like to see either though. At middleweight id maybe give Saunders more of a shot but Canelo just looks mosntrous at 168, and Saunders hasn't shown anything to say he's better off at that weight. Id heavily lean towards Canelo, just too big, too strong, too imposing.

• Paid Members

I think Saunders has 2 problems really. 1, as has been said by others he hasn't shown the kind of punch power required that would be needed to keep Canelo off him, and 2, he only beats Canelo on points, and no one is beating Canelo on points. 

• Paid Members

Is there any chance that BJS is the middleweight Tyson Fury (undefeated Traveller boxer that everyone's seeing as a bit of joke against real opposition, but then surprises everyone by out-boxing a super-puncher), and that we're writing him off at our peril? 

Only reason I'm asking, rather than saying it outright, is because David hasn't said anything, and he's often irritatingly on the nose with such insights.

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Is there any chance that BJS is the middleweight Tyson Fury (undefeated Traveller boxer that everyone's seeing as a bit of joke against real opposition, but then surprises everyone by out-boxing a super-puncher), and that we're writing him off at our peril? 

It's probably the opposite. Some overrate BJS because of his association with Fury. 

He's far from a bum, but he poses little threat to Canelo. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Only reason I'm asking, rather than saying it outright, is because David hasn't said anything, and he's often irritatingly on the nose with such insights.

Possibly, but at Super Middleweight I just cant see it. Saunders would have to do something incredibly special to get a decision against Canelo too, theres no chance of him stopping him.

Saunders has done nothing in the last 4 years of note, and he's probably pissed away his prime years in the process. He was gifted a Super Middleweight title but boxing once a year and not being overly impressive when he does doesn't bode well for his chances against Canelo at the weight.

• Paid Members

I loathe Saunders as much as (and probably more than) anyone on here but he’s definitely not a joke. He is a very good boxer beyond being a total shithead. But I definitely think a lot of people overrate him. As Jim said, part of it is probably his association with Fury. Part of it is probably because he mouths off a ton and a lot of people seem to buy into that shite. And I think some of it is just that enough people have said he’ll be the one to cause Canelo problems, especially around the time Saunders beat David Lemieux, that a load more jumped on that bandwagon. But that was David Lemieux. It was a really strong performance for Saunders but against a one trick pony who was tailor made for him. He lived off the fumes of that win for ages but how many times has Saunders really looked great beyond that? And it’s not like he’s been fighting the cream of the crop. He didn’t look overly impressive against a 38 year old Martin Murray on the verge of retirement last time out. He got buzzed by Shefat Isufi a couple of fights before that...

EEF3A87B-1F90-41AF-AE11-C5010AED01DE.gif

Shefat Isufi. If Canelo gets him on the old Elvis legs like that he won’t be weathering that storm. He had that awful showing (he’s admitted so himself) against Artur Akavov in Scotland before that as well. Actually, Lemieux fight aside, I honestly can’t recall one Saunders fight that I’ve seen and came out of it thinking he looked all that. Even the Eubank fight, he went on like he schooled Eubank but, in reality, he was only good for about half of it, couldn’t seem to maintain over the full 12 and let Eubank make it close in the second half. 

I keep hearing that Saunders style will give Canelo issues as if Canelo can’t box or deal with technical boxers. I’m just not feeling it and it’s genuinely not because I dislike Saunders. I’m just really struggling to get on board with this line of thinking that he’s this nightmare for Canelo. I honestly think most of the people latching onto that either a) are blindly picking him because of allegiance either through nationality or because Sky/Matchroom pay their bills. Or b) they’re just jumping on it so that they can say they told you so if it somehow comes true. Because based on what we’ve seen of both Canelo and Saunders over a sustained period of time, I don’t really get why anyone would see Saunders as that much of a threat. As said, he’s not stopping Canelo. He doesn’t have big power and Canelo has a jaw like fucking marble on him. It’s just not happening. And as Lion says, he’s almost certainly not getting a decision. And honestly, I don’t even think they’d need to rob him. This isn’t Fury vs Wilder. If Saunders doesn’t have the power to keep Canelo at bay, Canelo is going to walk him down and bust him up. I don’t think Saunders has the speed like Khan did to have that kind of success in the early rounds before Canelo lamped him. I do think he’d probably win a few rounds early on but I just don’t see him keeping it up or making Canelo respect him. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

If BJS was a silent, respectful family man he'd be recognised more for his ability, which is considerable. Is he good enough to beat Canelo? Probably not, I'd venture he'd lose a decision, but I don't think Canelo would stop him. He's far too elusive for that to happen in my opinion.

I also don't think it would be a walkover for Canelo. While he's hard-hitting and is able to take a shot, he's not the most mobile. I could Saunders winning rounds using his speed and footwork, which is his main attributes.

Put it this way, he's probably as likely to beat Canelo as anyone else at that weight. Which isn't saying much really, but still.

The problem with Saunders is that the very thing that makes him the cocky, slick operator in the ring is the same thing that causes him issues outside of it. He's a knob, basically. If he'd screwed the nut a while back he'd likely be up there in the top three or four in his weight class instead of being a top talent who's trying to put together a run at 31 years old.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

Put it this way, he's probably as likely to beat Canelo as anyone else at that weight. Which isn't saying much really, but still.

This is the crux of it for me. I don’t think he’s got much of a chance at all of beating Canelo but I really don’t think the rest of the current crop do either. If I had to predict how it’d go I’d say you’re probably right about it going to the scorecards. I think Saunders would probably be able to avoid the bulk of the very worst shots. But I think he’d struggle massively to keep Canelo off or even just make him hesitate a bit to come forward.

On the first bit of your post though, I think it’s actually the opposite. I think a lot of the support Saunders gets is because he’s a gobshite wanker. I suspect that if he was a quiet, respectful family man with the same resume, wins and performances he’s had he’d get little hype at all. He’s not particularly exciting to watch, it’s not like he’s a Conor Benn type who’d still be fairly popular if he was mute just based on the entertaining fights he puts on. And as much as he’s clearly skilled, he can be very inconsistent one fight to the next in how good he looks in there. I think the fact that he chats a bunch of shit and is a total arsehole is a massive part of the reason he’s as popular to a large section of Boxing fans as he’s unpopular to the rest. I’ll give him this, there doesn’t seem to be any indifference to Saunders. It’s a pretty clear love/hate thing with him, which is obviously a good thing in Boxing. Floyd Mayweather being the best example of that. 

10 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

This is the crux of it for me. I don’t think he’s got much of a chance at all of beating Canelo but I really don’t think the rest of the current crop do either. If I had to predict how it’d go I’d say you’re probably right about it going to the scorecards. I think Saunders would probably be able to avoid the bulk of the very worst shots. But I think he’d struggle massively to keep Canelo off or even just make him hesitate a bit to come forward.

Canelo beats people on workrate most of the time. He simply walks people down until he either tires them out and stops them, or he wins via decision.

He strikes me as the kind of fighter who'll eventually get sparked at some point, and after that happens he'll fall off a cliff. It won't be for a while mind you.

11 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

On the first bit of your post though, I think it’s actually the opposite. I think a lot of the support Saunders gets is because he’s a gobshite wanker. I suspect that if he was a quiet, respectful family man with the same resume, wins and performances he’s had he’d get little hype at all. He’s not particularly exciting to watch, it’s not like he’s a Conor Benn type who’d still be fairly popular if he was mute just based on the entertaining fights he puts on. And as much as he’s clearly skilled, he can be very inconsistent one fight to the next in how good he looks in there. I think the fact that he chats a bunch of shit and is a total arsehole is a massive part of the reason he’s as popular to a large section of Boxing fans as he’s unpopular to the rest. I’ll give him this, there doesn’t seem to be any indifference to Saunders. It’s a pretty clear love/hate thing with him, which is obviously a good thing in Boxing. Floyd Mayweather being the best example of that. 

Really? I find his style quite easy on the eye and exciting to watch. 

I also think that based on skill alone he'd still be a world level practitioner. His biggest problem is he's a dick who can't stop fucking up outside the ring. 

I'd love to see him in there with the very best, as I think he's up there among the likes of Benavidez, Plant, Dirrell, Charlo, Andrade etc. 

I'd pick him to beat GGG if they fought next. I think Saunders would handily outpoint him. 

• Paid Members

You know what I mean. I’m not saying his fights are boring but we’re talking about if he was a ‘quiet respectful family man’ type. In that situation, the way he fights alone probably wouldn’t have gotten him half the fanbase he has as the gobby cock he is. 

On his skills, we just don’t know because he hasn’t even fought at that level yet. He’s got to 30-0 but he’s yet to really face anyone top level. He clearly has skills but I definitely think people overrate him based on what they think he’ll be able to do rather than what he’s actually showing. The way some talk about him you’d think he was the second coming of Mayweather. Until he starts facing those names you’ve mentioned, we’ll never know truly how good he is. I wouldn’t be confident picking him over any of the top guys. There’s some stylistically who you’d think he’d do well against but you just don’t know how he’s going to show up. He’ll look good one fight and a bit flat the next. A lot of that is probably down to his choices and fuck ups you allude to between fights. One similarity he might have with Tyson Fury is that maybe he’ll rise to the occasion when he’s up against an elite opponent like Canelo. But again, until we see that it’s all just guesswork and speculation and we can’t just assume that’s the case either. People like to talk like they know for a fact when it comes to Boxing but it’s really a case of wait and see with Saunders at that level for me. He schooled a one note Lemieux and beat a young Eubank and an old Murray. That’s fine. But I think some are getting carried away.

Plus, fuck Saunders.