This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i like the idea of Top Rank being on Sky, but ideally id like a promoter involved who will give us Saturday evening live shows.

Just read Ben Shalom is the guy behind the Ultimate Boxxer thing.

• Paid Members

Matchroom's Sky Swansong this weekend.

ritson-vs-ponce-card.thumb.jpg.580ffa5a3ff14c8bdcd755a315f26989.jpg

Like the last show theres been a lot of backlash to this, but Matchroom are running down the clock.

Still, with a small, hot crowd this could be good fun. The buzz on Ritson has slowed considerably and he got gifted a decision last time out in one of the worst decisions ive ever seen. 

Ponce is a 27-0 Argentinian with a decent KO ratio. This could be a tough night. Razor tight with the bookies too.

Allen Babic on the undercard too, always a bonus.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

is he? didnt know that. Cracking name though isnt it, Ponce.

Nice to see things progressing. Years ago ponce was a slur against gay men. Now it’s an undefeated Argentinian boxer. Pride month and all.

On a serious note, I’m looking forward to this. Always enjoy watching Ritson. He’s got his flaws but he’s usually great to watch. Was looking up some stuff on this fight yesterday and barely recognised him though. When did this happen?

The Ritson we remember;

D00835-D0-C1-FF-44-E2-9889-E179-F61-ACFF

Ritson this week;

84-B56-A1-F-3-A39-49-BD-9-EBC-79-B293-A0

Babic is always worth tuning in for as well. Again, don’t think he’ll go too far at Heavyweight but his non-stop aggressive style is always gonna make his fights must see. Whether he wins or loses. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeah, its a bit of a tranformation.

Ive always liked me some Ritson though. Its a bit of a shame he went on that crazy run of early stoppages at British Title level because it made expectations a bit unrealistic, especially when you added in his popularity up North. He was known as The Geordie Golovkin for a minute, talk about big shoes to fill. He's always in good fights though and thats what works for me.

Ive not watched these episodes yet, but Matchroom have started a fight week radio show that has David Diamante interviews fighters before the weekend. Bit more in depth that a media interview and helps that Diamante knows absolutely everything about boxing, its good stuff.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah that was bollocks. Really good fight. Ponce was non-stop, I’ll be keeping track of him going forward. Ritson’s heart was ridiculous, how he kept getting up from those body shots. But the ref ignoring the towel coming in has put a negative spin on an otherwise cracking fight and a brilliant performance from Ponce.

Got to love Matt Macklin giving it the ‘fighter safety’ shite though. He was one of the worst for putting the boot in and calling Daniel Dubois a quitter after the Joyce fight. I know this was a different thing but him going ‘what if Ritson got hurt because the fight wasn’t stopped?’ or something was a bit rich after he expected Dubois to go blind in November in the name of ‘going out on his shield’. 

I still can't figure out how Macklin managed to pull Kate Abdo. But aye, fuck him. 

I actually prefer Sky's new boxing line-up. Other than Mad Man Fitzgerald, I don't really care about the domestic scene. Whereas I can't wait to watch Inoue next week and for Josh Taylor's next bout. 

Edited by jimufctna24