This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

I watched the main event sat next to Frank. That was a thrill.

Felix was just too big and powerful. Denzel was scoring some lovely points at times, but every time Felix came on he looked ruthless. Think the big right hand in the first round made Denz second guess himself too.

I had the Adeleye fight even, if not David slightly ahead. I thought he was landing the better shots, and when he did throw the jab it was effective. Very close fight, and weren’t many in the arena scoring it for Kamil.

I thought David did poorly when it came to the things that influence viewers - spent a lot of time with his back against the ropes, slow off his stool.

Karol Itauma is a real prospect.

Callum Johnson loves a war 😳

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I had the Adeleye fight even, if not David slightly ahead. I thought he was landing the better shots, and when he did throw the jab it was effective. Very close fight, and weren’t many in the arena scoring it for Kamil.

I thought David did poorly when it came to the things that influence viewers - spent a lot of time with his back against the ropes, slow off his stool.

The commentators didn't have Adeleye ahead, and the jab did look effective when he threw it, but he barely threw it. When the home commentators don't have the home fighter ahead he probably hasn't won.

It looked like the talk of him moving on to better opponents had got in his head and he just thought that he would blow past Sokolowski quite easily. I think we as fans and him as a fighter need to remember that he has barely had any fights as a pro and that these things take a lot of building up. I certainly wouldn't write him off after that performance but talk of him fighting the likes of Nathan Gorman need to calm down. 

6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The commentators didn't have Adeleye ahead, and the jab did look effective when he threw it, but he barely threw it. When the home commentators don't have the home fighter ahead he probably hasn't won.

It looked like the talk of him moving on to better opponents had got in his head and he just thought that he would blow past Sokolowski quite easily. I think we as fans and him as a fighter need to remember that he has barely had any fights as a pro and that these things take a lot of building up. I certainly wouldn't write him off after that performance but talk of him fighting the likes of Nathan Gorman need to calm down. 

Not sure we have home commentators in the same way normal firms do. We’re hampered by our own honesty at times 😂

I think David is potentially a very good fighter, but he hasn’t discovered his power potential yet and assumes his success in sparring (spars Fury, Joshua etc) will equate to his success in a fight.

Definitely some learning to do, but think he can come back stronger from this. May well be his McDermott moment.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Sokolowski is a quality fighter, but he got caught in the cycle of taking jobs. 

Sunny Edwards’ hopefully wins a world title on Friday. Contrary to popular opinion, he’s a great lad and I’m rooting for him.

Emotionally I can’t handle watching another good kid lose.

• Paid Members

yeh looks a good one Friday.

Sunny's a bit of a weird case. His twitter account alone makes him polarising. He's super opinionated and goes after the trolls that mock him, he proper leans into it. I think he's very much of the belief that having someone love or hate you is better than indifference.

Ive never seen a single second of his opponent fighting but at 39-2 and not having lost a fight in 13 years! Still at 38 he's old at the weight and they are probably hoping Sunny is catching him at the right time. Bookies have it close to evens.

IMG_20210427_222934.thumb.jpg.f61ead544c4b0a93d6894885796e0744.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

Always worth remembering that Mthalane made Casemiro literally quit in the ring - like walk off and say ‘no thanks’ - and knocked out Zolani Tete.

He’s as avoided as avoided gets, and is #1 with The Ring at Flyweight for a reason.

That said, if the legs are shot in any way he could be in for a long night. Sunny is fit as fit can be, and has as good movement as anyone else in British boxing. It might not be fun to watch someone on their bike all night, but if he wins the world title I don’t care how boring it is 😂

20 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

had it spoiled on the Matchroom show this evening (which i should have expected), some achievment from Sunny though, fair play.

Still watch it mate, it was a master class. Like when a footballer scores a worldie and everyone says “if that was Messi, people wouldn’t shut up about it”, this was the boxing equivalent - if Floyd had done this, it’d be everywhere.

• Paid Members

Thought it was a good show last night @d-d-d-dAz Sunny boxed beautifully. I thought Conlan and Baluta was close, certainly closer than Conlan thought, but that his better quality of punches was the difference. Conlan is a tremendous technical boxer but he doesn't seem to have enough punch power.

The only little negative would be Joe Joyce on the microphone. Joe seems like a lovely fella, and is a really good boxer, but he needs to work on his mic skills and interview technique. Every time he was asked a question he looked like a rabbit in the headlights. I dont think he will ever be a money promo but he needs to work on it to be passable. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The only little negative would be Joe Joyce on the microphone. Joe seems like a lovely fella, and is a really good boxer, but he needs to work on his mic skills and interview technique. Every time he was asked a question he looked like a rabbit in the headlights. 

One of Joe's main problems is that he tries to be funny and his sense of humor just doesnt translate to the camera. It can be a tough watch.