This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

That was a wonderful performance from Valdez. The sticking and moving worked to perfection. Berchelt could not get himself set to launch any big bombs because Valdez was getting out of harm's way too quickly.  Round 4 was crazy, I still don't know how Berchelt did not go down. He was chicken dancing all around the ring for most of it. When he got launched into the ropes they had to give it as a standing 8 count otherwise, he would have been in the front row if the ropes were not there. Then when the ref told him to walk to me, Berchelt looked like he was hula-hooping with an invisible ring. He had no control of his body.

There were two rounds in the middle, where Valdez looked like he was trying for the knockout, trading more with Berchelt which is a deadly game. Berchelt was like the Terminator he would not go down or take a back step.  Luckily Valdez went back to moving and slipping. Popping with the jab and then ripping across with the left hook. Round 9 was the big one. Berchelt finally went down from a five punch combination. A buzzsaw of an uppercut and peppering Berchelt with lefts and rights. Valdez was now switching from orthodox to southpaw stance to confuse Berchelt even more.

By now Berchelt needed a knockout to win he was too far back on the cards. I had him at best winning two rounds. Going into round 10, Berchelt's corner said they need to see something otherwise they're stopping the fight. Andre Ward said Berchelt is two big punches away from getting knocked out. The writing was on the wall. Valdez was bossing with ease, Berchelt's head was fuzzy but heart still strong, he wasn't going to give up. At the end of the round, two bells were rung. Berchelt wildly swinging and jumping into punches. Valdez coolly waited until he was in range, slipped the shot and launched the ill-fated left hook to slay the champion.

Not the Mexican war which was anticipated. If it was, we would be seeing a different winner. Valdez's team got the tactics spot on and found the way to win where so many have failed.

Berchelt is big enough to move up to lightweight next. After rehydrating in this fight, he was 1lb off being welterweight.

Watched the Josh Kelly fight this morning. Don't really have much sympathy for him, with the way he boxed after round 2. He got into a dogfight with an educated brawler. His style, trying to be slick with the hands down low doesnt really work if you abandon it after a couple of rounds. To do that for a full fight, you need super human reflexes and he doesn't. He was getting hit too much with unguarded shots which ultimately became his downfall.

Did have a head shake when the Sky Analyst was saying after a few rounds, Kelly was not adverse to going in the trenches, he's been in deep water before, he will slug it out..... Round 6, Kelly's on the floor, towels been thrown in and he's having gas and air.

You can’t help but like Aveneyson. He’s tough as nails and relentless. Looks like a move up to 154 for Kelly.

What is it about questionable engines for certain Booth fighters? Haye, Groves, Kelly.

Connor Benn in about 2 Sky appearances as a pundit seems to speak more sense than the rest of them put together. 

• Paid Members
On 2/21/2021 at 3:15 PM, Mr Lawrence said:

Connor Benn in about 2 Sky appearances as a pundit seems to speak more sense than the rest of them put together. 

Yeh big fan of Benn as a personality, he don't take any shit and says it as he sees it. 

A few years ago if anyone had spoken about Benn/Kelly i think the feeling would have been unanimous that Kelly would win comfortably, weird how the tide shifts. I like Josh Kelly, but his style hasn't really adapted well as he's gone up the levels.

• Paid Members

Canelo/Yildrim then? anyone up for it?

The whole thing has split opinion, you have one crowd saying they love the fact that Canelo is staying active and just getting his mandatory out of the way. Then there's other group who just see it as a pointless fight. 

I sit in the former. Rather than dragging this out and seeing this as one of his 2 fights of the year (that most championship fighters do), Canelo's just getting it out of the way so he can to the proper business in May. I wish it was an approach more fighters would take. 

The fight itself should be exciting. Canelo tends to blast these kind of opponents away, and Yildrim seems like the kind of guy who will come to have a proper go, so he's likely getting sent to hell.

Other than that, and the Parker/Fa being on early Saturday morning, BT continue on with their scheduled event without Frampton/Herring on top. I'll be tuning for this if im free:

IMG_20210224_120500.thumb.jpg.43561f797d8f68dd5acb0a286b03f433.jpg

Here's a little time guide:

Edited by Egg Shen

I love that Canelo is fighting more often. He is the best fighter on the planet at the moment and in his prime, so anytime you see him fight, its a bonus. I Watched a couple of reviews of his fight against Smith recently and some of the things he does with his feet, his feints, they way he aims shots at Smiths arms to bust them up, he’s just an unbelievable all round fighter.  

I would love to see the Canelo of today fight Calzaghe or Benn in their primes, or Roy Jones. I’d bet on Canelo cleaning out all divisions other than heavyweight in the next couple of years. I mean Smith will move up to Light Heavy and probably win a belt and look what he did to him. Can you imagine Canelo v Okolie at Cruiserweight, it would be a massacre.  

I’m fairly convinced the plan was to plot an unlikely course to Heavyweight, had Ruiz Jr kept the title.

That sounds mad, but after Kovalev there would have been a fairly straightforward fight with Makubu available for the WBC title. 

After that, no organisation in the world would have turned down the chance for probably the biggest fight of all time - certainly in Latin America and parts of the US. And for Canelo, it would have probably been the only heavyweight in the world he’d ever want to fight. Height difference is no different than what he’d already faced, he’d be significantly faster and if he could avoid the power for long enough there’s a path to victory by tiring out and outpointing Ruiz.

As it is, Ruiz lost the title and went to Reynoso.