This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The sack on John Ryder.

A couple of Brits have gone in against Canelo and completely shit the bed, be it from lack of confidence or letting the occasion get to them, not John Ryder, he left it all in there. Canelo was a comfortable winner but that was probably the hardest fight Canelo has been in since the second Golovkin fight in terms of physical damage. Unbelievable to see a guy like Ryder who never got over the line for a British title come on later in his career and achieve this kind of success and no doubt financial reward. 

As for Canelo? it does feel like he's slowing down a little, he didn't look his usual self in there but that may have been down to the effort of Ryder but he showed nothing here that tells me he has any chance of avenging his loss to Bivol, even thought that's what he's saying he wants.

Regardless though, is this the greatest ring entrance in the history of anything? fucking hell.

• Paid Members

There was nothing more Ryder could have done, but he gave absolutely everything he had so fair play to him. I hope he got paid well. 

As for Canelo, I agree with you Egg, there was nothing in his performance that suggested he can reverse the Bivol loss, but Ryder was hardly the guy to show those skills against. Bivol will still outbox him. A better fight would be Beterbiev, that would be a war. 

• Paid Members

I want Canelo vs Beterbiev above the other options myself. Before they both get too old/slow down enough for it to be too late. I think that’s a killer fight still at this stage and I really don’t want it to be one that gets away.

Canelo’s definitely more basic now in his approach. Still love watching him but when you look back at some of his old fights you really see that he’s not quite the same. He’s far, far from shot. Not saying that at all. To listen to some since Saturday night you’d think he was Ali in the Larry Holmes fight. He’s still a force. But he’s definitely not looking quite as sharp or elusive as he once did. Fair play to Ryder though. His 100% wasn’t enough but he gave it all he had. Can’t ask for more than that. 

• Paid Members

all popped off at York Hall last night following Ellis Zorro's KO win over Hosea Burton...

Both sets of fans clashing after Zorro's KO. You sense it coming during the fight, two very animated sets of fans. Reminded me of the old Tyson Fury Boxnation fights, lots of travellers mixing with a hometown fighters fans, and just a real edgy feel that it could go off, unfortunately it did.

The actual fight itself was good though, the finish a peach...

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊
  • Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

@Egg Shen holy smokes have you seen the end of the Romero/Barroso fight ? It's one for the ages.

I've just seen it CJB. Before we get to the finish let's say the two knockdowns were questionable at best. You normally only see that much pushing if Kalle is trying to score. Then the finish. If not landing punches can get the fight stopped then I can be world champion. The ref has had a shocker. 

Romero pushed Barroso over, that should not have been a knockdown. And the finish was just ridiculous.

Barroso was up on all the cards, 5 points ahead on one of them. Showtime had him 4 points up. Glad to see the commentators shit all over the finish as well.

I've only seen Rolly Romero from the Tank fight, but if he's struggling with an alleged 40 year old Barroso. There are a lot, lot, better fighters at 140lbs than him .

There was a 140lb eliminator starting the show. Kenneth Sims Jr vs. Batyr Akhmedov. Absolute scrap, complete fire fight. Sims Jr just edged it. 

• Paid Members

I saw the stoppage, just madness. Tony Weeks bailed Romero out big time. It wont happen cause Showtime got what they wanted but id like to see them run it back.

Barroso is the oldest looking 40 year old ive ever seen though.

• Paid Members

Wait a sec - "Rolly" Romero? Please say he's related to Rocky Romero - it would be too perfect to have two brothers called Rocky and Rolly.