This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

AJ has got three punches, two directions and zero love for getting hit.

You could see the old panic set in at times when Franklin threw leather.

The fact that they kept the show on the road as long as they did is a credit to wonderful management on Matchroom and Sky’s behalf, and - admittedly - wonderful maximisation of limited talent on AJ’s behalf.

The next time he’s in the ring with anyone who can really move and/or punch, the final curtain on a brilliant overachieving career probably comes to a close.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I think it's pretty clear that Joshua is basically a modern day Frank Bruno. He looks the part, and is a nice enough chap, but he's robotic and fairly limited as a boxer. The Sky machine was behind him early doors and done a great job, but there's only so far that can go.

If he faced either Fury or Wilder he'd get starched. 

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊
  • Paid Members

Shocker in London tonight. Zhilei Zhang just stopped Joe Joyce in 6 rounds. Joyce pulled out after suffering some terrible damage to his eye. It was a brutal six rounds but Zhang just couldn't miss with the left hand, he drilled Joyce with it whenver he wanted too. If it had a gone a few more rounds Zhang may have tired but he looked pretty comfortable to me, and it was quite surprising to see how uneffective Joyce was. His usual plod forward, overwhelming style didn't seem to trouble Zhang at all. Crazy.

Ftyab8HX0AMFJnZ.jpg.9df3b1f5623b541f4d550d86ed1ac97e.jpg

Joe lost in the first 30 seconds to a minute of the fight.

The plan was clearly come in lighter than you ever have, move around, tire the big man out and overwhelm him late. Joe just got caught in a trap of his own making.

He was lighter and quicker, but a lighter and quicker Joe Joyce is neither light nor quick. In the opening few exchanges he tried to get on his bike quickly with some lateral movements and ended up tripping over his feet. That happened twice, the third time he looked more hesitant, got hit with a big punch if memory serves and he just looked completely short of confidence the rest of the fight.

After that he tried to Joe Joyce his way to victory, resorting to what brought him to the dance but he wasn't big enough or physical enough to impose himself on Zhang or get himself out of tricky situations. And by stopping moving like the plan had been, he was right there for Zhang's big left hand.

Not liking southpaws was obviously a part of it, the reason they felt they needed to tweak a previously winning gameplan but in the end it was just him not being able to deliver his teams plan.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

He was lighter and quicker, but a lighter and quicker Joe Joyce is neither light nor quick. In the opening few exchanges he tried to get on his bike quickly with some lateral movements and ended up tripping over his feet. That happened twice, the third time he looked more hesitant, got hit with a big punch if memory serves and he just looked completely short of confidence the rest of the fight.

Good observation. 

Early talk is that Joyce will activate a rematch clause and go back in with Zhang. Dunno if that's a wise choice.

Sounds like seeds were being sewn for Joe Joyce and Dillian Whyte to fight this summer but that's down the swanny.

I feel like UK judges and commentators are the most biased in the world, at one stage when Joyce looked like he was about to go down the ref stepped in, stopped the fight and warned Zhang about hitting the back of the head when I’m pretty sure he didn’t. 

It’s worth saying, Joyce was winning rounds. I didn’t have him up, but equally if you score volume as a judge, Joyce was picking up plenty of points through activity.

It’s one of those silly nights in boxing with the round system, and MMA has it to a point, where you can watch someone who is quite clearly losing the fight but isn’t necessarily losing the match, or at the very least the match may be closer than the fight.

Zhang wore him down with big left hands, but as it went on Joe was more active, landed more and landed with more variety. The issue is, his activity was erratic and panicked and his shots weren’t having an impact…. Doesn’t mean they didn’t score points, though.

Zhang sort of executed an attritional beat down across rounds, but in a sport where each round exists in a vacuum that doesn’t mean you win all those rounds.

Another one is how some judges score aggression. I’ve seen people win rounds for being on the front foot and being busy; but they were getting absolutely battered with counter punching by someone on the back foot. Some judges just like just like people who take the initiative.

Silly sport.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I feel like UK judges and commentators are the most biased in the world, at one stage when Joyce looked like he was about to go down the ref stepped in, stopped the fight and warned Zhang about hitting the back of the head when I’m pretty sure he didn’t. 

Biased judging and bad reffing  happens everywhere though we do seem to be getting worse. Daz might have met him and know different but Ian John-Lewis gives me no confidence in either his reffing or scoring. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It’s worth saying, Joyce was winning rounds. I didn’t have him up, but equally if you score volume as a judge, Joyce was picking up plenty of points through activity.

Yeah, it wasn't one sided. I think I had Zhang up 3 rounds to 2 going into round 6, just all the significant damage was being done by one fighter. It was a strangle old fight because there's a built in way of thinking that Joyce will just eat everything and eventually take over, so the commentary was basically going along with that narrative and telling that story like it was only a matter of time before Joyce took over but it was fairly clear that he was in deep from early on.

Have to mention Denzel Bentley's KO from earlier in the night too, Denzel wasn't hanging about was he. I hope they make the Sheeraz fight night.