This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

OK then cheers for that Daz 😂 Christ!  Kayfabe is once again broken. 

Thing is though, it’s hard to make any value judgments as it’s just how he’s been bred.

There’s also an underlying naivety and sweetness that comes from being so sheltered that does make him endearing.

During lockdown he fought Snijders. When he arrived in the bubble his dad sent him up the lift at the Premier Inn to the testing floor. He came in looking a bit lost, and I just sat with him until Martin Bowers arrived.

Similarly, whenever we did press conferences at the BT studio i’d always get him lunch beforehand. Usually there was a window between him being dropped off by his dad, who wouldn’t always come in, and the Peacock team turning up. He’d always grab tins of pop and crisps and sarnies whatever, stuff it in his gob and then laughingly ask us not to tell anyone.

I guess my point is he’s fucking fascinating. There’ll be a film made one day.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Beterbiev vs. Smith Jr. - June 18th)
  • Paid Members

banger alert! as the kids like to say!

Artur-Beterbiev-vs-Joe-Smith-Jr.thumb.jpg.dddb2b985b4f5105cf46a906b2a9aa15.jpg

Artur Beterbiev/Joe Smith Jr. Light Heavyweight Unification is Saturday night. This can't not deliver.

The hardest punching Light Heavyweight in the world against one of the toughest, hard nosed boxers in the division. The oddsmakers having Beterbiev as a massive favorite, but im not writing Smith off. Beterbiev has gone long in recent fights and hasn't overly impressed but ultimately gets the KO finish. 17 finishes in 17 fights now for Beterbiev.

Top Rank have done a Blood, Sweat & Tears 2 part build up, it's over on Youtube.

It's live on Sky Sports.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Beterbiev crushed Smith. I thought he’d win but between Beterbiev not usually being a fast starter and Smith’s toughness, this looked like it’d be a longer fight where Beterbiev would really have to earn it. Instead we got a 2 round blowout.

CD5-E7501-2-D71-4275-B2-B3-732-A8-A085-A

Wasn’t even competitive. Looking like Anthony Yarde in October next but Beterbiev’s saying he’d prefer the Bivol fight. If I could choose I’d go with Bivol next but either will do nicely. 

I think people should be careful wishing the Yarde fight away. There's plenty of folk who will do that for us - we should fight for it as hard as possible as that fight will be absolute fireworks and would be here.

I think Artur has far too much for Anthony over a prolonged duration, but I think Anthony (for the first time really) will come in as not just as an underdog but as favourite to get knocked out cold. I suspect that means he'll go peak-Yarde - which is 3/4 rounds of utter violence - and see where it gets him.

I think it could be superb.

• Paid Members

Only just caught up, but safe to say that Joe Smith Jr. decided to go to war with the wrong motherfucker. Beterbiev at his destructive best.

...if we are on the subject of what's next for Beterbiev, i'm all for the Yarde fight. A Light Heavyweight unification fight with Bivol would be bigger, but from a stylistic standpoint i'd prefer Beterbiev/Yarde personally.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Small card from this past Saturday in Texas, saw standout, super flyweight star, Jesse Rodriguez take on Srisaket Sor Rungvisai. New vs old in a way. Rungvisai is tough as nails, feet planted, ready to bang. Rodriguez who was defending his WBC super flyweight title was having none of it. His speed was causing Rungvisai all kinds of problems and the hardest punches are the ones you don't see coming. Rungvisai got dropped towards the end of the fight. And the ref stepped in the 8th after Rodriguez unleashed an unanswered, ten punch combo. Next for Rodriguez has to be Roman Gonzalez or Juan Estrada and then he's cleaned up the division.

Also on the show was Murodjon Akhmadaliev defending his two super bantamweight titles against the tough, Ronny Rios. Akhmadaliev has only had 10 fights but already has two world titles. Stephen Fulton has the other two world titles and there has to be a unification fight in the pipeline. Akhmadaliev had a tough time with Rios, he wouldn't go down from some massive liver shots. In the end the culmination of big shots from Akhmadaliev made the referee step in on the last round after Rios did go down. But he looked ok to continue. Akhmadaliev is only 5'5 but he has a good reach for his weight class and his shoulders are like breeze blocks 

Only saw the highlights of that one. Eggington is never in a dull fight, but the Polish guy was so static and had no head movement, he was there for the taking at the start. He kept looking at his corner in the first round, trying to say, what the fuck have you signed me up for here. But he was tough as nails and wouldn't go down. It looked like he had some success from the highlights. But the scorecards were a shutout for Eggington.

• Paid Members

other highlight was Adam Azim who away a massively overmatched foe:

now 5-0 but only 19 years old, id'd imagine we'll get a couple more years of blowouts before he steps up but there's some crazy potential there no doubt.

• Paid Members

little piece of business over on BT Sports tonight:

FWVWrZWWIAAaO1z.jpg.3401bc308a4da9c29a11d06588abead6.jpg

Joe Joyce is back out. He should have been fighting Joe Parker but that went to shit so they've shipped in Christian Hammer for another beating. This is a tickover, but im hoping Hammer comes in with some kind of ambition. It looked like he looked for a way out against Hughie Fury last time he was over. The fight is technically main eventing, but the initial main even for this show was Jason Cunningham/Zolani Tete, that now acts as chief support but is by far the best fight on the card. Tete comes in as a slight favorite but the hope here for Cunningham is that he's catching Tete on the other side of the hill. It's a good one!

Solid looking card this!

20220702_161603.thumb.jpg.91210bed789317b1795452228d73b211.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen