This Weekend's Boxing šŸ„Š

Egg Shen

Does anyone else struggle to sense the buzz with some of these 'huge' fights we're getting at the minute?

The Sheikh is chucking so much money at these things, and the bells and whistles are there and then some, but I don't really get the sense anyone outside the usual fight bubble really cares.

Joshua is still a huge star, but all this money and it still feels like no more people know who Dubois, Hamzah or Willy Hutchinson are compared to before the Great A-Sheikh-ening in boxing.

That crowd was absolutely tepid for anyone not named Joshua. It felt like people who were sightseeing in London and just hung around because there was a stage, and were secretly hoping it'd be Oasis or Peter Kay or something.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

We've become complacent Daz, and let's be honest this isn't the fight that we really want. We want Fury v AJ and anything else isn't going to really fire up the juices. This fight is OK, but pretending it's for a world title when we have all seen Usyk become undisputed is insulting. The IBF are taking the piss really. I'd sooner see Fury v AJ than this or the Fury v Usyk rematch. The best thing about this fight is that it knocks Froch down the attendance order another place.Ā 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Does anyone else struggle to sense the buzz with some of these 'huge' fights we're getting at the minute?

Ā 

Hard to say. From my viewpoint it feels massive, but that's probably because when I fire up Twitter or Youtube that's all I see in my feed. I'm not really working in an environment these days where I hear general sports chit chatter like i'm used too, so it is hard to guage. I think buzz is what you make of it, if you immerse yourself enough you'll feel something.

As for picks:

Dubois KO/TKO, Sheerez KO/TKO, Kelly points, Buatsi points, Warrington points, Chamberlain KO/TKO.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The best thing about this fight is that it knocks Froch down the attendance order another place.Ā 

Whoa! We can all pull about a bit. Have a little pull and a push.Ā 

16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I think buzz is what you make of it, if you immerse yourself enough you'll feel something.

I get what youā€™re saying and it does help if you can throw yourself into the hype content for a fight. But that isnā€™t what ā€˜buzzā€™ is about really, is it? If a fight truly has buzz, youā€™ll feel it and you wonā€™t have to go searching for it. There was loads of content leading into Fury vs Usyk (and I know itā€™s not really fair to compare AJ vs Dubois to that) but I never needed to go looking for that to get my balls tingling for that one. It shouldnā€™t be on us as viewers/fans to generate buzz, and it never used to be. Although maybe itā€™s a sign of the times a bit. These days with social media and all the different ways to put shit out there, the onus isnā€™t strictly on the promoter and the fighters quite as much to generate buzz for a fight.

In other news, did anyone see Eddie Hearn and Ben Shalom having words on the stage during the weigh in? You couldnā€™t hear what was being said but Shalom said Eddie threatened to knock him out šŸ¤£

IMG-2436.jpg

Munguia with a great performance last night against Bazinyan.

Buzzing for today, been shadow sparring round the house already..:D

Joshua KO round 9

Kelly decision, and lots of dancing from him and generally wasting time looking flash when he could be jumping on his opponent

Buatsi KO 7

Chamberlain KO 5

Sheeraz KO 4

Cacace KO 10

I'm excited for the whole card. Nice early start time to kick it off and main event supposedly first bell begins at 10pm.

My picks:

Joshua KO/TKO

Sheeraz KO/TKO

Kelly Points

Buatsi Points

Cacace KO/TKO

Chamberlain KO/TKO

A lot of fighters on the card with spectacular performances could elevate themselves to the more casual fan tonight.Ā 

I hope I'm wrong about the main event tonight and Dubois can pull the upset off. I don't even want to hear how loud the noise will be if Joshua wins and becomes heavyweight champion of the world for the third time, it will be endless.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

There was loads of content leading into Fury vs Usyk (and I know itā€™s not really fair to compare AJ vs Dubois to that) but I never needed to go looking for that to get my balls tingling for that one. It shouldnā€™t be on us as viewers/fans to generate buzz, and it never used to be. Although maybe itā€™s a sign of the times a bit. IMG-2436.jpg

Definitely a sign of the times. Social media has changed the way everything is pushed and advertised. Whatever you engage with on a daily basis will interprate what's pumped back at you, algorithms and all that shit.

All i've seen all week is AJ and Dubois related content. It's also being covered by every major broadcaster, you never used to have TNT, Sky and DAZN all providing their own shoulder content for the same fight until very recently. From what i'm seeing, it's everywhere.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ā 

In other news, did anyone see Eddie Hearn and Ben Shalom having words on the stage during the weigh in? You couldnā€™t hear what was being said but Shalom said Eddie threatened to knock him out šŸ¤£

IMG-2436.jpg

Yeah apparently Shalom questioned why Hearn was getting into a photo for a fight he had nothing to do with and Hearn threatened him.

I dont fancy Shalom's chances getting into a slanging match with Eddie Hearn though.

Ā 

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Definitely a sign of the times. Social media has changed the way everything is pushed and advertised. Whatever you engage with on a daily basis will interprate what's pumped back at you, algorithms and all that shit.

All i've seen all week is AJ and Dubois related content. It's also being covered by every major broadcaster, you never used to have TNT, Sky and DAZN all providing their own shoulder content for the same fight until very recently. From what i'm seeing, it's everywhere.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It's definitely everywhere, and that's a testament to how much money Uncle Saudi has chucked at it.

But I'm just not sure people care.

'Buzz' for me is when normal people start talking about it. A fight with 'buzz' is one where I don't feel like a social leper for liking watching people punch each other's heads in... fights where my mum has an opinion based on which fighter has kinder eyes, or fights where my mates start talking like they know how the sport works, or how your workplace lights up at the thought of it - people arranging awful pub get togethers and whatnot.

And I just don't see it for this fight, and lots of these big Saudi cards that don't feature a true SUPERSTAR v SUPERSTAR main event.

I guess I'm wondering whether the old formulaĀ  (build someone up the hard way so everyone knows who they are and the big fights will follow) has been subverted with a new way of doing things (fuck it, let's chuck some money at it) and it's left it feeling a bit soulless. I think Dubois is borderline whether people know who he is, but you move down the card and you wonder whether some of the guys could sell out York Hall.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I really don't like boxing as a whole however with absolutely zilch this weekend mma wise this will be stepping in to try and fill the void for me. I am happy to admit after what Joshua did to a man I was convinced would never be slept expecially not like Joshua did so I'll never doubt his power ever again and just because of that I'm watching excited for him to decapitate a man again lolĀ 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

'Buzz' for me is when normal people start talking about it. A fight with 'buzz' is one where I don't feel like a social leper for liking watching people punch each other's heads in... fights where my mum has an opinion based on which fighter has kinder eyes, or fights where my mates start talking like they know how the sport works, or how your workplace lights up at the thought of it - people arranging awful pub get togethers and whatnot.

Realistically though, how many of those kinds of fights do we see? Or are even a possibility to be made? They are very few and far between, especially nowadays.Ā 

Like i said though, I may be misjudging it, I live in my own little bubble with this kind of stuff.

Ā 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

fights where my mum has an opinion based on which fighter has kinder eyes,

My mum's three favourite boxers are Marvellous Marvin Hagler, Nigel Benn and Arturo Gatti. Kindness of eye never a consideration. My dad's favourite was Joe Bugner and that does partly explain why he was a cunt.Ā