This Weekend's Boxing πŸ₯Š (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

If you recorded the Okolie fight but haven't seen it, just delete it, save yourself the pain. Unless you are an insomniac of course. Awful rubbish.Β 

Eddie Hearn must be delightedπŸ˜„

• Paid Members

I didn't see the fight as I was out, but reading the reaction it sounded like an absolute dud. Okolie is polarising in the worst way possible, i'm not sure what Sky will do with him now. Any kind of plan to build him as a marquee name on the platform isn't gonna work, they've just got to pull the trigger and try and make fights that people may be interested in now, the Riakporhre fight would be decent at this point, or any kind of unification fight. Random fight nights against people don't know ain't gonna cut it because Okolie is continuously in rotten scraps.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing πŸ₯Š (Joshua vs. Franklin)
  • Paid Members

i had a mental weekend so missed most stuff, it sounded great though! Baluta is becoming a bit of a cult hero.

I did see Benavidez/Plant though which delivered and played out like you'd want a grudge match too and sounds like they settled their differences because of it. Cracking.

• Paid Members

anyone game for Joshua/Franklin?

josshua-franklin1.thumb.jpg.23c6ac2e3f943e3d907cf2da3cb752ce.jpg

It's a step back for AJ, but this is a tough little fight. AJ is the kind of position here where he needs to go out and remind people what he can do. Everyone's saying they want the aggressive AJ back, but if he's aggressive against Franklin I think he may wind up in some trouble. Franklin is small, but he's durable and has fast hands, I don't think he'll go into his shell if AJ gets on the front foot. Franklin also seems to have come in in better shape than he was when he fought Dillian Whyte last year. AJ should get it done but I think it goes long.

The undercard isn't great, and the Cash fight has fallen off but I do wanna see the Wardley/Coffie fight, decent little heavyweight fight.

Β 

• Paid Members

πŸ˜„Imagine there'll be a few moments like that in future, Connor Benn isn't gonna take kindly to the folk that stuck the knives in. Beautiful to see it happen to A. Davies though.

As for Joshua, the knives are out for him! Proper 'what have you done for me lately' reaction on Twitter. Maybe i'm not as down on it because it played out like i'd expected, but I think the general feeling was that AJ was going to blow through Franklin and that the destructive AJ was back! I don't think it was ever going to be like that, anyone that saw the Franklin/Whyte fight would have seen that Jermaine Franklin is granite tough. He's also someone not afraid to through punches under heavy fire. That's exactly what happened and I think it made AJ overly cautious at times. Joshua started flat but was eeking out the rounds, it went completely shit in rounds 8-9 then the last few were abit more open. I had expected AJ to perhaps fade if it went long but the more cautious pace suited him down the stretch.

I think there's always been a bit of a misconception that Anthony Joshua is at his best when he's aggressive, but when you go back and watch those old performances he was fighting guys who barely threw punches back, AJ's never been the 'street fighter' people seem to claim, when shit gets rough and people fight back he doesn't like it. People always point to the Dillian Whyte and Wladamir Klitchsko fights but i'll always remind them that whilst AJ came through them, both those guys let AJ off the hook when he was hurt. Last night, I think AJ felt the threat from Franklin early and it made him fight a different fight to maybe he'd planned to fight. People just expected a blowout, they didn't get it and they are pissed about it.

I dunno what that bullshit after the final bell was about thoughΒ πŸ˜„

Howard Foster completely fucked the co-main. Stopping Michael Coffie being defensive against the ropes. I see where he was coming from, but he completely mis-read the situation that Coffie was hurt, he was just riding the wave. Bullshit because it was shaping up nicely and if Wardley had finished that flurry with no success he might have punched himself out a little. The promoters need to come together and start putting these UK heavyweights together though, no more bullshit just make the fights, there's 5-6 guys that all need to fight each other.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Β 

I think there's always been a bit of a misconception that Anthony Joshua is at his best when he's aggressive, but when you go back and watch those old performances he was fighting guys who barely threw punches back, AJ's never been the 'street fighter' people seem to claim, when shit gets rough and people fight back he doesn't like it. People always point to the Dillian Whyte and Wladamir Klitchsko fights but i'll always remind them that whilst AJ came through them, both those guys let AJ off the hook when he was hurt.

Yeah if anything it’s when AJ gets more aggressive is when he usually gets clipped or finds himself in bother. He’s always been much more of a boxer than a slugger. I think a combination of him looking the way he does (a lot of people think muscles automatically = knockouts) and some of his past knockouts has some believing he’s an 80s Tyson KO machine and anything less than a highlight reel stoppage will always bring criticism.

It wasn’t the best fight but AJ just needed a win coming off the Usyk losses. Franklin was a bit of a risky one on paper because you always felt like he could be tricky and difficult for AJ to look good against and that’s pretty much how it went. But he got the much needed W so it’s all good in the end. They’re gonna push for AJ vs Fury now and I actually think it has a better chance of happening now than it ever has in the past because there’s a sense that the clock is ticking now for AJ. He’s been letting the word β€˜retire’ creep in a bit lately in interviews and I think Hearn will wanna get that fight on before he walks away. And Fury might actually want it now because he’ll no doubt wanna distract everyone from the debacle of the Usyk negotiations falling apart. What better way to do that than finally give us a big fight with AJ?Β 

• Paid Members

I wonder what makes Conor so aggressive all the time, nothing chemical I hope.Β 

Some of that fight was dull, some was ok, none of it set the pulse racing. Good to see the respect from Joshua at the end, once again proving that all this "Stay Humble" patter you get from him is cobblers.

I don't think Joshua knows what he is in the ring anymore. 3 trainers in 3 fights hasn't helped that and while as Egg says Joshua has never been the "Street Fighter" it was claimed he was, there was a killer instinct switch inside him and once he got an opponent even a little hurt it was flicked on and he finished the fight. That switch was broken in the first Ruiz fight and all the attempts to repair it since have only confused the situation more for him.Β 

The best version of AJ would struggle with Fury, the version he is now has virtually no chance. If Fury can be persuaded that a fair split is more than the 80-20 he will demand the fight might get made.Β 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I think a combination of him looking the way he does (a lot of people think muscles automatically = knockouts

I think that's a big part of the reaction, to mostt people they just can't understand why a specimen AJ isn't blowing past a tubby little American. It's probably why this fight was the wrong choice of opponent from a public perspective standpoint unless AJ had blasted through him. I'm not so sure the performance will have done much to boost AJ's confidence either, he seemed pretty down on himself afterwards.

As for what's next, i'm pretty sure we'll see AJ vs. Whyte II in the summer at a stadium. Maybe that door to Fury/Joshua is now open though considering the Usyk fight is apparently dead. Who else is Fury going to fight?Β 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Who else is Fury going to fight?Β 

Well we do know that Tyson loves a trilogy. Wilder and Chisora are checked off that list. What better than a trilogy of trilogies. The only candidate may not have fought for 10 years, he may be 43, but if you don't want to see Tyson Fury v John McDermott live at Wembley or for a very reasonable Β£35 on PPV then you obviously hate boxing.Β