This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

compare the finish from the Showtime Broadcast compared to the International feed we got.

The way the mic is pumped in (the guys probably commentating from his bedroom somewhere) drowns out the crowd noise too to a degree. The experience as a viewer isn't even close.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Buatsi vs. Richards - May 21st)
  • Paid Members

Few fights on this weekend, few standout fights both sides of the pond. Can't wait for Buatsi/Richards though, excellent domestic Light Heavyweight fight, Joshua Buatsi's rise had been slow and frustrating but this feel like the first proper fights he's been in. Spider Richards stock has gone up since Bivol beat Canelo too, he run Bivol pretty close. I fancy Buatsi to win, but in a real competitive fight.

20220519_190930.thumb.jpg.3db0fd336454c5b1bbb4d07b7bd6c809.jpg

The Babic/Balski fight could be good too. Babic is moving to Bridgerweight, Balski is coming up from Cruiser, so its probably the first time Babic has ever fought someone smaller than himself. Balski looks handy though, 16-1 never been stopped and had some fast hands. If this goes past 3-4 rounds, it could be trouble for The Savage.

This is whats on, and where you can find it:

Friday:

Foster vs. Baluta (BT Sports)

Lejaragga vs. Metcalfe (DAZN)

Meng vs. Pascal (Pro Box TV)

Saturday:

Buatsi vs. Richards (DAZN)

Benavidez vs. Lemieux 

Janibek vs. Dignum (Youtube)

🍿

Edited by Egg Shen

They waited for lockdown rulings to ease in Paris, so Tony Yoka could fight Martin Bakole to a capacity crowd. Over 10,000 people saw their French hero get absolutely battered over 10 rounds.

Left bloodied and knocked down twice. The 277lb blunderbuss, Bakole didn't give Yoka any respect and just came out swinging all fight. Yoka was happy to stay out of harm's way, dancing around the ring.

When it came down to the judges. They tried so hard to give the fight to Yoka, who won 2 rounds at best. Bakole was slightly up on two cards. And one maniac judge somehow scored it 94-94. 

• Paid Members

Yeah that was a bit of a shocker, Yoka was a big favorite. I didnt see it, but the Fight Disciples podcast said they were some of worst scorecards they'd ever seen.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

tonights Matchroom running order:

20220521_133737.thumb.jpg.dea1f3943003c456548c53baf5461feb.jpg

oh and PBC and Top Rank are streaming tonights shows free on youtube, which is nice (despite my beef with the shitty commentary feeds):

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Buatsi/Richards never truly caught fire last night, it came close on a few occasions but there was always a sense throughout the fight that Buatsi was picking up the rounds. That said, the actual scorecards were closer than mine (117-111). I 100% agree with the feeling that Craig Richards would be capable of more if he had a little more self believe, feels he fights within himself at times. Good performance from Buatsi but I don't think he's ready for a World Title yet, some tough Champions at Light Heavy.

Babic/Balksi was bananas though. Had a feeling this would be a tough fight for Babic, but didn't anticipate him getting dropped in the first. After that he just went about his business. Quite impressed to see how well Babic fought late into the fight despite his ridiculous workrate, he was fucked but he never stopped trying to fight like he does. If Babic wasn't in line for the WBC Title now i'd wanna see a rematch, but looks like he may get Babic against Oscar Rivas next.

1647234586_babic-balski-fight(12).jpg.23d83d9379d1639b8e947b11f4882d82.jpg

crazy bastads.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Tank vs. Romero - May 28th)
  • Paid Members

watch-davis-vs.-romero-on-FireStick-without-cable-in-canada.jpg.0796697f47bd65af6dc176239199a40a.jpg#

anyone in for Tank vs. Romero?

It's happening Saturday night, and whilst neither man are gonna be everyone's cup of tea, its fair to say the actual fight is almost guaranteed to be all action. It's widely accepted that in terms of skill and overall boxing ability Davis is leagues ahead of Rolly, but Rolly brings an x-factor that makes this a bit of a must see, he's a massive puncher, naturally much bigger than Tank and he's extremely unorthodox, combine that with Tank's ability to knock people dead and you have a recipe for madness.

Showtime have done an All Access for it, and despite both men's reputations I think they come off pretty well in it, which was probably by design but seemed to against the angle the fight is being sold as.

The fight is live on Fite, it's included in their monthly Fite+ subcription which will cost you about £4.50, just make sure you cancel it before the month is up.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

down goes Rolly.

Fight didn't play out as as i'd expected until the inevitable knock out. Rolly did well, he was patient and I thought won the opening 5 rounds. Tank was just so loose in there though, just had the demeanour of the guy who knew it was only a matter of time. He knocked Rolly out with the first real significant punch he landed.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Kambosos vs. Haney - June 5th)
  • Paid Members

Big ol' fight this weekend, 55,000 people expected for it...

kambosos.thumb.jpg.cdf00d75902ead6ba6f25c0244829808.jpg

George Kambosos returns after his shock win over Teofimo Lopez. 

All the belts are on the line. I can't see anything other than Haney winning a decision here. George Kambosos immediately became one of my favorite fighters following the Lopez win, based off his performance and in the way he carries himself, the guy gets it. In Haney though, just feels he's going to be outclassed by one of these top rate American's who are able to box smartly and stay out of danger, Kambosos is going to have a crazy crowd behind him but I fancy Haney to win. 

It's live on Sky Sports.

On DAZN Saturday night...

FT_LInBXEAMSLXH.thumb.jpg.4627ffb453bc5f79d0d040121378df90.jpg

Joe Cordina fights for a World Title. Im excited for this one as i'm going to the event but this seems a bit of a tall order for Cordina. Ogawa's a big puncher and hasn't lost in 10 years. Joe Cordina's career hasn't moved as quickly as some would have expected and there's still question marks about how good he can be, hopefully he raises his levels and gives Ogawa a tricky night, looking forward to this.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Incredible, star making performance from Joe Cordina in Cardiff tonight. The Arena was jam packed, and for him to go out and win the World Title like that in such unexpected fashion, amazing.

20220605_004456.thumb.jpg.9267f4190d80beb783848576a0857f89.jpg

The atmosphere was fairly flat all night, as it is with most undercards, it can be a strange old night at the boxing, but once they start that pageantry for the main event it was just buzzing in there, and nobody saw that finish coming.