This Weekend's Boxing ๐ŸฅŠ

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

IMG_20200708_125950.thumb.jpg.d635f0bc7fbf582a166f32a1d7dfc72c.jpgAgain, given the discont9IMG_20200708_125950.thumb.jpg.d635f0bc7fbf582a166f32a1d7dfc72c.jpginuation of the megathread and with boxing's move into the MMA section, thought it would be handy to have a boxing fight discussion thread to sit alongside the general news thread. This can be the place to post about the weekends upcoming fights (this will usually be me) and discuss the outcomes after they happen. Itย also keeps immediate spoilers out of the general news thread too which is nice if you fall a few days behind.

Granted when the big fight nights and PPV's come up, shows can get their own thread but this should be good for the smaller weekly fight nights.

and considering domestic boxing returns this Friday, no better time to start!...

This Friday, Live on BT Sports 1:

IMG_20200708_125950.thumb.jpg.d635f0bc7fbf582a166f32a1d7dfc72c.jpg

Two solid, competitive fights on top makes a nice change from some of the mis-matched shows Top Rank has fed everyone this summer.

little preview here:

https://www.frankwarren.com/ready-for-our-big-return

Speaking of Top Rank, this is tomorrow (only available in the UK through Fite i believe):

takam.jpeg

Carlos Takam steps in to replace Jarrell Miller. Given how good the UFC shows have been during all this ive not really felt the need to watch the Top Rank shows. Like i said, they've been heavily panned due to the poor matchmaking but i likes me some Carlos Takam so im breaking my Top Rank duck with this one.

so yeah, live boxing ๐Ÿค—

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeh, enjoyed that his evening on BT. Cracking little main event between Foster and Beech. Beech had a decent couple of rounds but I had Foster a comfortable winner, exciting young fighter and a likeable kid.

David Adeleye looks like he could cause a bit of trouble at heavyweight too. He's certainly got the kind of look that makes people sit up and take notice, looks to have the potential skills and personality to back it up too.ย 

Hamzar Sheeraz was probably most impressive on the night though, just absolutely whiped the floor with Paul Kean. Warren's young stable doing work.

Liked the BT setup too, looked great. The interviews were similar to the UFC setup. Not so sure about the very subtle crowd noise they piped in though.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

2nd Warren show on Saturday, bit of warm up for Joe Joyce ahead of the Daniel Dubois fight in October. On paper this looks better than a standard run out, Wallisch is 20-3 but has been stopped in 3 of his last 4 when he stepped up in quality. Still it gives us all a chance to scratch our heads at the baffling style of Joe Joyce.

IMG_20200723_134350.thumb.jpg.dfb3f1451d6624d88e47f6a516875a72.jpg

• Paid Members

Joe Joyce really is a one off isnt he?

Im actually starting to believe that he'd give the top heavyweights issues. He just plods forward throwing relentless, heavy combos and always remembers to goto the body. The guy must be a nightmare to fight. To relate it to MMA he reminds me of slow ass grinding wrestler that is just able to turn make any fight be fought at his pace, and if the opponent cant keep up they simply wilt.

I actually thought Wallisch came in with abit of ambition last night and you could argue won the opener but by round 3 he was just doomed.ย 

I still fancy Dubois to chin himย because Joyce is hittable, but if it goes past 4-5 rounds i favour Joyce.

The post-fight skype showdown was fucking brutal though, they are trying bless em.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Iโ€™m watching most of it but by the time Iโ€™m getting around to it itโ€™s days, sometimes a week or so later and thereโ€™s another show upon us. I was craving some Boxing during lockdown and now itโ€™s back Iโ€™m back at work and donโ€™t have the time to get stuck into it properly.ย 

Lyndon Arthur vs Dec Spelman is a great fight. Itโ€™s a fight that Lyndon has to win, really, but Dec is as tough as old arseholes and will just plug himself into Lyndonโ€™s chest and make him work harder than heโ€™s had to work his entire career.

Some good talent on the rest of the show, I like Caoimhin a lot and itll be good to see him get a little step up and get 10 rounds.

The three Liverpool lads Iโ€™m not hugely familiar with, but have heard good things.

2 week break for us after this, but then we have Frampton and Dubois in quick succession so no rest for the wicked.

I enjoyed the Joyce fight a lot. What I loved about it was it had just enough to confirm everyoneโ€™s preconceptions of how Dubois/Joyce is going to go - if you thought Joe was going to be durable, survive the Dubois storm and break him down with zombie-like persistency and sledgehammer like shots from all angles, congratulations, you still think that. If you think Dan hits harder than a usual heavyweight and you believe heโ€™s going to put Joeโ€™s face in the third row, congratulations you still believe that too.

Dubois/Joyce is a great fight. Really great.

ย 

ย 

ย