This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

11 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

😂 My daughter’s 9 as well and she somehow knows about it. As well as this Prime shite the kids are banging on about now. Fuck am I selling a kidney for a bottle of arsewater in a colourful bottle. 

Off topic but I've bought her a couple. £2.99 it was from Spar. She wanted it try to for ages, and I was happy to oblige as I remember being around that age and being desperate to try Kool Aid as I'd seen it in loads of films/TV.

Was alright, but good God did I find it sweet. Like drinking liquid sweeteners.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Off topic but I've bought her a couple. £2.99 it was from Spar. She wanted it try to for ages, and I was happy to oblige as I remember being around that age and being desperate to try Kool Aid as I'd seen it in loads of films/TV.

Was alright, but good God did I find it sweet. Like drinking liquid sweeteners.

Yeah I caved really and got her one 😂 might as well have given her a line of coke though how sweet it was. 

22 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I caved really and got her one 😂 might as well have given her a line of coke though how sweet it was. 

4 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Be careful what you say, Kalle Sauerland will be round. 

All Out Wwe GIF by Extreme Improv

Hmmm.

I think embarrassing is harsh.. that was literally as good as it could possibly have been. The celebrations were a little much, but by and large I enjoyed it - and, I think, if YouTube boxing is here to stay it’s better in this format.

I’d take a YouTuber challenging themselves and trying to step up to face real challenges over that Misfit shite where they’re going to do tag team boxing and the like.

I thought Tommy looked like exactly what he is: a novice boxer with a pretty low glass ceiling that has no idea how to put shots together. Seriously, go back and watch it - he throws combos based on what he’s learnt on the heavy bag. He has no strategy or tactics and doesn’t set anything up. Jake Paul was turning his head as he threw shots like a complete amateur and Tommy didn’t take advantage of it once.

I also thought Jake looked like exactly what he is: a tough bastard in good shape who is proof that you can’t pick up boxing late and be any good, but a good punch can get you further than your talents would usually allow. Tommy was clearly worried about the power.

They were evenly matched and the result was the right one. Tommy gets the real world victory and Paul gets the moral victory of knocking down and taking to a decision a professional boxer.

Canelo is going to be all up in Badou Jack’s DM’s this morning.

• Paid Members

Yeah it was decent enough if not overly scrappy, the ref was a bit quick on the trigger too. The issue is, people who get caught up in it expect all boxing to be equal, to watch a fight levels below what they usually see is jarring. Most comments i've seen this morning have been critical but you have to set your expectations accordingly. 

I scored it 76-73 the same as the two judges who had it for Fury.

Makabu/Jack over-delivered in the co-main event though, cracking fight.

4 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Embarrassing is all I can say.

Any more embarrassing than watching a young prospect be matched against a taxi driver from Lithuania who has a record of 3-45-9? Nah, it wasn't embarrassing. It was what was expected.

Basically, two guys still in single digits as far as fights go, and neither of who have taken boxing anywhere near seriously enough for long enough to be considered competent. 

What was embarrassing was Carl Froch doing his best heel promo attempts in the build-up. He so wants a slice of that Jake Paul money and attention it's actually cringeworthy.

I also loved how the panel managed to keep a straight face when they were talking about Tommy possibly going after an area title with aspirations of a potential British title fight one day.

He made around £5 million for that fight last night. Why the fuck would he fight someone who could likely put him on his arse and keep him there for 50k or whatever in York Hall? That would be mental.

The rematch beckons I think.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Yeah the panel set up was weird, but I think as this wanted to be presented as 'Professional Boxing' they gave it the standard BT treatment. The commentary team apologising for Logan's between rounds outburst summed up the weird disconnect happening with the presentation and what was actually taking place.

Edited by Egg Shen