This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

16 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Eubank Jr is appealing the result of the Liam Smith fight, claiming an illegal elbow caused him to lose. To be fair Smith did elbow him, but it was only 50% of his elbow that connected. 

He's been advised by his team to do so, and quite rightly so. Eubank did mention in the Gloves are Off segment that Smith is a dirty fighter, using his head and elbows etc, and Smith accepted that.

And more importantly, it's shithousery of the highest order. It'll have the homophobic scouse fuck's fans in a rage, so it's worth it.

Got to think that any rematch comes at 160lbs, right? I know Smith was making comments about 157lbs, but there's no chance of that. He may have won the first fight but he's not going to be well placed to dictate those terms I wouldn't think.

Will Eubank be a different fighter after taking some time off then coming in for a single fight camp and weight cut? That's the question really, isn't it? 

Taking nothing away from Smith, but Eubank had cut down to 157lbs (or close to it) for the Benn fight, which was a mistake in my opinion to begin with, but he went through the camp for that fight, then stupidly went on to continue the cut despite the fight being called off, then he went right into prep for the Smith fight. 

That's far too long a time to spend on the boil, and two gruelling weight cuts far too close together. 

• Paid Members

Artur Beterbiev is a bad muthafucker.

What a contest though, momentum swings and big shots landed, proper title fight. Beterbiev just has a way of outlasting anyone who decides to try going blow for blow with him, true sign of a great champion, he finds a way. That shot was stared the finishing sequence was a cracker, caught Yarde whilst he was dipped to throw an uppercut, absolute peach.

You gotta give it up for Anthony Yarde though. He's now fought in two of the hardest World Title Fights imaginable at his weight. Both against dynamite punching Russian killers, tough way to go about your business. Hell of an effort though. If these titles get splintered about in the next year or so i'd expect to see Yarde pick one up.

Karol Itauma losing on the undercard was a shocker, I think he was 1/50 favourite going in and he got whooped, don't see shit like that very often.

• Paid Members

That was a very good fight. I'm not a big fan of Tunde as his trainer but he got that stoppage exactly right. He protected his fighter where the ref didn't. 

Hopefully Beterbiev fights Bivol next. As savage as Beterbiev is I think Bivol does the same thing to him as he did to Canelo. 

• Paid Members

I thought Steve Bunce made a good suggestion for a match. Beterbiev v Canelo could be one hell of a fight. 

I think you are right though, we get Canelo v Bivol II next, with Beterbiev demolishing another Brit, probably Callum Smith. 

• Paid Members

this is taking place on DAZN tonight, my sub. is up and running so i'll skim it:

20230204_131110.thumb.jpg.ad752e29b8932e888ba747b89bd54f13.jpg

Its heavy on the females, but the Unification/top end fights usually deliver and there's two here could be good. Crazy to me that Serrano is taking this when the Katie Taylor rematch is all but confirmed for May.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Wood vs. Lara - Feb 18th)
  • Paid Members

Forget that shitty UFC offering this weekend, the fight to be paying attention to is this...

th.jpg.bacf224fe255a602f06f00f64484f116.jpg

This can't fail to be a belter. Mauricio Lara really came from nowhere to KO Josh Warrington a couple of years ago, it was meant to be a routine defence by Warrington instead he ran into the most ferocious Featherweight in the sport. Leigh Wood has chosen to fight Lara, most people think it's a massive mistake but coming off the back of two great wins and the fight of the year is flying.

For me, I can't see past the fact that Wood has been hurt previously. He loves a tear up but if Michael Conlan is dropping and hurting you it's likely Mauricio Lara will finish the job. Lara comes in like maniac throwing massive shots and always looking for finish, he's great to watch. If Wood survives the first few rounds he has a chance but those first few are gonna be rough. This is gonna be tremendous.