This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

😄 i almost did, I just didn't think anyone would give a toss. Probably with good reason, Yoka was awful. I actually thought about Audley has the fight was on. Yoka has all the attributes except for a proper set of nuts to be a fighter, it was disappointing.

The Dan Azeem fight before it was good though, if a bit brutal in a one sided kind of way, Azeem is quality.

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Benavidez vs. Plant)
  • Paid Members

silly amount of boxing this weekend, decent shows all over the gaff. The highlight is David Benavidez/Calab Plant on PBC PPV, proper grudge match at 168lb. Outside of that it looks abit like this:

Screenshot_20230225_220328_Instagram_2.jpg.f1bd23870ca0a64eca91de4565b6d969.jpg

Friday:

Lyndon Arthur vs. Braian Suarez (Channel 5)

Saturday:

Lawrence Okolie vs. David Light (Sky Sports/Sky Showcase)

Nathan Heaney vs. Jack Flatley (BT Sports)

Jose Ramirez vs. Richard Commey (Sky Sports)

David Benavidez vs. Caleb Plant (Fite TV)

There's no way i'm getting through all of it, but i'll try watching every main event. Quite interested to see Lawrence Okolie over on the Sky. The guy's stock is in the toilet at the moment. I think when joined Sky he was expecting to be a some grand re-announcement of his career, but all it feels everyone has seen him as pretty ungrateful for the job Matchroom did for him. There's obvioulsy more to the story than we see, but it does feel like Lawrence is a but deluded about where he stands in the grand scheme of things. Never seen New Zealander David Light fight but it sounds like this won't be a knockover. Lawrence needs to hope this ain't a stinker.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Some good stuff there. Although, Suarez is out of the fight with Lyndon Arthur, failed his medical. Lyndon’s still fighting though. Boris “DON’T CALL HIM BORIS’ Crighton (10-1) is the substitute. 

5B43E709-6D3D-4A5C-9687-3F9508A78635.jpeg

• Paid Members

Arthur Crighton looks like someone's genuine name, like that time Anthony Joshua fought Eric Molina and all the advertising made it look like there was a big show about the bloke out of The West Wing. 

Arthur Crighton sounds like a minor Victorian nobleman who painted watercolours and took a lot of laudanum. 

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Quite interested to see Lawrence Okolie over on the Sky. The guy's stock is in the toilet at the moment. I think when joined Sky he was expecting to be a some grand re-announcement of his career, but all it feels everyone has seen him as pretty ungrateful for the job Matchroom did for him. There's obviously more to the story than we see, but it does feel like Lawrence is a but deluded about where he stands in the grand scheme of things. Never seen New Zealander David Light fight but it sounds like this won't be a knockover. Lawrence needs to hope this ain't a stinker.

His style is so viewer unfriendly, he's very hard to market. I didn't realise he was boxing this weekend until earlier today because of the fracas in the undercard fight. They went for a face to face and one of them pushed the other one onto his arse.

It's like Joshua Buatsi. He recently left Matchroom for Boxxer for better opportunities. Eddie got him a fight with Dmitry Bivol with a £1m+ payday and he turned it down. Instead he's fighting Pawel Stepien on a show in Birmingham 

• Paid Members

Yeah Buatsi is another odd situation. There's obviously more to both cases but from outside looking in it feels like Matchroom did great jobs with both fighter. Buatsi's main point of contention seems to be that he felt like no one was watching him on DAZN.

With the switch in trainers for Okolie it be interesting to see how much of the new Kronk style training he can implement in to his game plan for tonight's fight. He had been more exciting until his last fight against Cieslak which was a tough watch. He needs to make a statement tonight and I can see him doing it by stoppage between around halfway stage.