This Weekend's Boxing 🥊

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

ahhh nice one Daz, ive gone Heffron on my acca but that was purely because he's a slight favorite. Good luck to your mate! 

You ever have much interraction with Yarde and Tunde? i cant figure out if i love or hate them😄

anyone catch Kharitonov/Williams? its was predictably depressing but fascinating viewing. Williams has no business being in the ring. At 47 he still actually looks in decent physical nick but he's just finished. Anytime Sergey landed Williams looked off balance, it was sad. Sergey looked afraid to hit him at points and the ref waved it off in round 2 when not a lot was happening. Was the right decision though. Sergey himself looks a bit slow and plodding these days, at 40 i dont know what boxing ambition but id expect he'll do a few of these exhibition style fights.

There were fans in the crowd too!

This ring entrance though...

It was cool to see this live in a Russian setting, Sergey Kharitonov looks a pretty big deal in Russia, sometimes lose sight of this kind of thing when you see him on cut and paste Bellator shows. Love it when you see a fighter thrive in his own environment. The fight here headlined over the Chudinov/Sadiq fight which was for a WBA Gold title. Decent scrap it was too. Nice get by Boxnation this.

Edited by Egg Shen

41 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

You ever have much interraction with Yarde and Tunde? i cant figure out if i love or hate them😄

Yeah, they’re good people.

I speak to Tunde quite a bit, because as well as Yarde he manages quite a few Up and coming guys that we promote (Bilal Ali and Amin Jahanzeb are on tonight, for example).

Tunde’s a good guy who loves his fighters and cares for them 100%. He might be a marmite media personality, but he’s a good bloke.

This is the first fight cycle I’ve worked with Yarde properly - spoke with him a little bit over lockdown after what happened to him - and he’s a pro. I set up the media workout last week where he messed about with Likkleman and what have you. People might think it’s unprofessional or whatever, but what they don’t see is that after that I dragged him to a room upstairs where he stood in place for 3 hours doing interview after interview. The next day he had to sit by the phone for 3 hours doing interview after interview.

Anthony does the work.

The Lions in The Camp thing is meant to be entertaining, and for me it works. It makes media/open workouts - which are, at best, usually fucking tedious - tolerable and fun.

Also, people say if Anthony trained differently he’d be further along or whatever. Maybe - or maybe he just wouldn’t do it and it would be a moot point. He wants to enjoy training. He wants to have a laugh and get better with a smile on his face. He’s found a style that works for him and took him to a world title fight, and may well take him to one again. If not, he’s got a Kovalev rematch that would be a big fight if possible and maybe even a Buatsi fight down the line which would be humongous. He’s doing alright.

Tunde’s one of Frank’s boys. He’s got a lot of prospects. Alongside Martin Bowers (Dubois, Bentley, Louie Lynn, Chris Bourke) and Al Smith (Dennis McCann, Sam Noakes, Henry Turner), there’s Talent for days at or beneath the surface.

• Paid Members

great post Daz!

Yeah, its easy to got on Yarde because he is so outspoken and has the loud team around him. Its similar to the O'Malley situation in MMA, because of the personality it opens him up to a level or critisism not aimed at 99% of fighters. Comes with the territory.

When i say i aint sure if i love or hate Yarde, thats not meant in a disparaging way, its more just rooting against him as a heel type, hes brilliant for the sport, especially in this country. I welcone all fighters who like to come and entertain. I really hope Warren puts together the Yarde/Arthur fighter after tonight.

9 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

anyone catch Kharitonov/Williams? its was predictably depressing but fascinating viewing. Williams has no business being in the ring. At 47 he still actually looks in decent physical nick but he's just finished. Anytime Sergey landed Williams looked off balance, it was sad. Sergey looked afraid to hit him at points and the ref waved it off in round 2 when not a lot was happening. Was the right decision though. Sergey himself looks a bit slow and plodding these days, at 40 i dont know what boxing ambition but id expect he'll do a few of these exhibition style fights.

There were fans in the crowd too!

This ring entrance though...

Sergei > Williams > Tyson > Holmes > Ali

Sergei > Overeem > Werdum > Fedor > Hunt > Struve > Miocic > Ngannou > Cain

I think it's clear that Sergei is the GOAT of heavyweight combat sport. 

Heffron/Bentley was a great fight.

First fight I’ve really enjoyed live since we came back. 

I scored it for Denzel, but enough people scored it for Mark for me to be happy enough just to see it run back. I think it comes down to how you score aggression versus counter punching. I thought Denzel made some mistakes, backed himself into corners when he didn’t need to and looked WAY better when he planted his feet and fought the centre ring. But, I think he did enough, landed the more significant shots and won more exchanges. I had it 6-4 Denz, without the knockdown.

I thought the commentators were on a madness though. I can see the argument that as Denzel slowed Mark had more success when pressing as it took Denzel longer to get out, but giving Heffron the earlier rounds is crazy to me. In round 1, which they scored for Mark, I thought Denzel clearly won and that left hook became a full stop on every exchange.

Rematch will be great.

• Paid Members

Yeh it delivered, it was one of those fights that depended on what you liked though, you could make arguments for both men. I wasnt scoring but i knew it would be close.

Yarde/Spelman was a perfect warm up for Yarde. Spelman tried his heart out and gave Yarde some rounds, thats how you do a tuneup. Stoppage was right, it wasnt gonna get better for Spelman from that point on.

Question for you @d-d-d-dAz, why does Warren have an issue pacing his shows? I didnt watch live Saturday but my mate messaged me and said that Yarde wasnt even in the until half 11. I just dont understand the thinking of it? surely you want your main event fighters in the ring by 10pm, 10.30 at the latest? Why not go back to the old float fight thing thing where no matter happens the main event is happening at 10, and if its going long have fights go on after it.

I remember the Ali Trophy trying to promote ring walks like the start of football matches. So if they were putting on a main event, you knew the main event was ready to go at 10. So much more viewer friendly.

Edited by Egg Shen

He's always had a bit of an issue in pacing his fights hasn't he. We went to a copperbox show that had Skeete vs Dale Evans and Yarde on - we didnt leave till 12:30. 

In theory he should want his 3 attraction bouts on at 8,9 and 10. Unless he's got USA interest to put a fight on at 2am there's no reason to put marquee bout on so late. It probably detracts from people watching his show too, it can make them numb to it.

My mrs often watches boxing with me - on Saturday she was moaning midway through Bentley - Heffron asking how many fights left. I said Yarde next to my dismay when there was a filler bout so she just went to bed and gave Yarde a miss 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

some good shit coming up this week, BT Sport have the return of Josh Taylor Saturday night, along with the Queensbury debut of Charlie Edwards:

IMG_20200923_183433.thumb.jpg.7ee8b94dcb8e51fd2cc71ce046bbd018.jpg

Then in America the same night is by far the biggest show staged post Lockdown. Showtime PPV involving the Charlo twins.

charlos.jpeg.thumb.jpg.921cf067d8c9d03c66e5f9d432270601.jpg

Both in legit fights, but the Charlo's are obviously the draw. Only thing is it comes on such a loaded weekend it may get away from and i wont end up watching, but its still cool to have some big fights back.