This Weekend's Boxing 🥊 (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Holy shit, could see a shit storm come out of that. That's O'Connor too who had Ritson up by 6 rounds.

I couldnt believe what i was seeing/hearing. I gave Ritson 2 rounds i think, he was schooled. Then you had Ritsons corner calmly telling him he was winning and he looked great much to everyones confusion. Vazquez danced around and was outpunching Ritson probably 4 to 1. It was one of the worst decisions i think ive ever witnessed in real time.

Joe Laws got utterly found out. He got big brothered by Charlton, it was like a man vs. boy situation.

Then there was a huge upset in the co-main after a long delay because of the missing ambulance.

Just weird night of boxing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This Saturdays boxing...

haney.jpeg

The sort of real WBC Lightweight Champ returns on a Matchroom USA show. Gamboa was seen as washed a year or so ago but ended up given Gervonta Davis arguably the toughesr fight of his career on a gammy foot. Might be better than some are expecting. 

Hrgovic and Zhang are on the undercard, 2 of Eddie Hearns newish heavyweight signings.

PBC...

maxresdefault.jpg

57 year old Luis Ortiz returns after being whiped out by Deontay Wilder. The card is all heavyweights, so expect some wild, sloppy one siders. 

Dont think either are on UK TV 😕

• Egg Shen changed the title to Boxing: Pre/Post Fight Discussion (beware spoilers) 🥊
  • Paid Members

the weekend ahead.

BT has a show on tomorrow, i'll definitely be catching the main event.

heffron.jpg

Hefron and Bentley fight again after drawing earlier in the year. Tommy Fury on the undercard which i was interested in but his opponent is 0-11, so it probably won't last more than a minute. @d-d-d-dAzanymore intel on this one?

Then Sky on Saturday night, Female World Title tripleheader. First time they've ever tried something like this. I usually wouldn't be arsed but Taylor and Harper are always worth watching. Crazy that Rachel Ball has secured a World Title fight though, there aint much depth there.

Heads up this show also airs completely free on Youtube.

fight-week-kt-1280x720.jpg

The Tommy Fury thing is a bit of a red herring thing, I think.

He suffers because he’s sat at the intersection of ‘Brother to the best heavyweight in the world’, ‘reality tv star’ and ‘all bouts are currently televised because of Covid’.

3-0, 21 year old kids should be fighting guys with losing records. Or, at the very least, it shouldn’t be a surprise that that’s happening. Off the top of my head, Yarde’s 4th opponent was 0-11, and I think Bivol’s 4th opponent had a losing record.

He’s at the stage of his career where opponents should be handpicked to make him look good and allow him to get his ring legs underneath him.

But, this stage of your career can usually be done on the untelevised portion of a massive card. But currently every fight is televised, so there’s extra focus on journeymen as it’s a part of boxing most people aren’t that familiar with. Then, on top of that, Tommy’s fame brings even more focus from people who expect boxing to be a sport of equals matched against equals from day dot.

Perhaps it should be, but it isn’t and it never has been.

• Paid Members

yeh i agree with that Daz. Fury is in a bit of a priveliged spot in terms of spotlight and exposure but it has its draw backs because people are sat waiting to stick the daggers in.

As for fighting guys with 0-11 records, its all well and good if the opponent offer some kind of resistance and pushes the A-side fighter beyond a round or so. Its when you can clearly see that the journeyman doesn't wanna be in there and is looking to hit the deck that it becomes a bit of a problem.

Anything else worth keeping an eye out on card for @d-d-d-dAz? i know Covid ravaged this one.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Tommy Fury's also half-Mauritian, so he'll have all of Mauritius supporting him. Highest achievement the island's ever had is a bronze medal in the boxing at the Olympics, so they'll be salivating at the idea of having a potential world champ boxer to refer to. 

17 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh i agree with that Daz. Fury is in a bit of a priveliged spot in terms of spotlight and exposure but it has its draw backs because people are sat waiting to stick the daggers in.

As for fighting guys with 0-11 records, its all well and good if the opponent offer some kind of resistance and pushes the A-side fighter beyond a round or so. Its when you can clearly see that the journeyman doesn't wanna be in there and is looking to hit the deck that it becomes a bit of a problem.

Anything else worth keeping an eye out on card for @d-d-d-dAz? i know Covid ravaged this one.

See, I don’t buy the top part at all. That views takes in prospects who’ve had 100’s of amateur fights and those with none.

If you’re an amateur star, and Olympian, should your 4th pro fight be at the same level as someone who turned over early? I don’t buy it. A 3-0 pro with no amateur experience typically gets a lot longer to work on tepid bodies in obscurity.

Tommy looked good, he got another pro fight in the bag and put his shots together well. 

Fucking delighted for Denzel, who looked night and day better than in the first fight.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

See, I don’t buy the top part at all. That views takes in prospects who’ve had 100’s of amateur fights and those with none.

If you’re an amateur star, and Olympian, should your 4th pro fight be at the same level as someone who turned over early? I don’t buy it. A 3-0 pro with no amateur experience typically gets a lot longer to work on tepid bodies in obscurity.

yeh and they should get longer but Tommy won't get that luxury (if you could call it that) because of his reality TV exposure and his last name, he can't go through this early part of his career in obscurity 

There's pro's and con's, pro's are obviously the spotlight of the TV time and the mainstream media taking note. Last night his KO was shared by the tabloids within minutes of it happening. 

The drawback, like i said are the fans sat there waiting to stick the daggers in. The reaction last night was really 50/50, it was either Tommy looked good, or Tommy beat a bum. There was no in-between, and that's what he's gonna have to deal with unfortunately. A lot of people don't understand the process.

I thought Tommy looked good myself and his opponent to his credit gave it a go. That's the kind of journeyman you wanna have in there with Fury.

...and yes Denzel looked like a man possessed, amazing performance worthy of a British Title. He ballsed up my weekend acca though. Id gone Hefron simply because he was the slight underdog. 

Edited by Egg Shen