Babyface/Heel turns that you never "bought"

garynysmon

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

That One Night Only poster is fantastic. I know it’s just rectangular photos of the wrestlers appearing but there’s something great about it.

It's because it's every wrestling poster we've come to love but it's actually THE REAL PEOPLE!

Chris Jericho turning face in early 2004 (or was it late ‘03?) due to falling in love with Trish after initially just trying to bed her as part of a one dollar bet with his best mate Christian.

I can see the reasoning for WWE going down such a soap opera-y route and the Trish turn on Jericho at WMXX was very well done but I’d just had a hard time buying Jericho as a gallant, respectful-to-his-woman face for the last few months given what a chicken shit and sleaze the character had been throughout 2002/03

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Justin Breeding said:

Chris Jericho turning face in early 2004 (or was it late ‘03?) due to falling in love with Trish after initially just trying to bed her as part of a one dollar bet with his best mate Christian.

One Canadian dollar, no less.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:53 PM, Justin Breeding said:

I can see the reasoning for WWE going down such a soap opera-y route and the Trish turn on Jericho at WMXX was very well done but I’d just had a hard time buying Jericho as a gallant, respectful-to-his-woman face for the last few months given what a chicken shit and sleaze the character had been throughout 2002/03

Imagine Vince's reaction when a writer pitched Trish getting with Christian. He probably laughed for days. 

19 hours ago, IronSheik said:

I never connected with The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith's heel attitude era run.

The stone washed jeans and black boots never got over with me either. 

Whether he was a heel or face, Bulldog felt really out of place in 1999 in general despite it being less than two years since he left. 

• Paid Members

Its bonkers isn't it? If you'd have told me in 1999 that he was 46 I woudn't have been surprised.

Then you look at some of the top boys in the WWE nowadays, AJ Styles (43), Daniel Bryan (39), The Miz (39), Sheamus (42), Bobby Lashley (43), neither of which come across as old men like the Bulldog did.

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

Its bonkers isn't it? If you'd have told me in 1999 that he was 46 I woudn't have been surprised.

Then you look at some of the top boys in the WWE nowadays, AJ Styles (43), Daniel Bryan (39), The Miz (39), Sheamus (42), Bobby Lashley (43), neither of which come across as old men like the Bulldog did.

I think because he along him Hennig, Bossman, Anvil and a lot of 80s/early 90s guys were ancient due to how much things had changed.

Back then 2-3yrs could change a whole roster, now 5-10 yrs creates little change in a lot of ways.

Was thinking about HHH and Rocks evolution and feuds from 97-2000 and how much they grew and changed in that time, lower mid-card 97 then solid upper 98 to proper bonifide top guys 99-2000

• Paid Members

To put a modern context on @The Maestro's point about it being roughly 2 years between Davey Boy's departure and his jeans-clad return, we've just gone past the 2 year anniversary of Big Cass' departure. And yes, precious little has changed really.

9 hours ago, The Cutting Edge said:

I think because he along him Hennig, Bossman, Anvil and a lot of 80s/early 90s guys were ancient due to how much things had changed.

Back then 2-3yrs could change a whole roster, now 5-10 yrs creates little change in a lot of ways.

Was thinking about HHH and Rocks evolution and feuds from 97-2000 and how much they grew and changed in that time, lower mid-card 97 then solid upper 98 to proper bonifide top guys 99-2000

What's mad is that if you look at the last 15 years fuck all has changed, if you look back at classic wwf 15 years takes you from 1987 wwf to. Post attitude and monday night raw wwe.