UFC Fight Island: Whittaker vs Till - Jul 25 πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ͺ 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

i think Herb had heard Hardy shouting on commentary, after the stoppage Herb points at someone and mouths off, I assumed that was Hardy. Thought Hardy was playing cornerman more than commentator here.

Agree with everything written about Till.Β I feel they pushed him too far, too soon. With them both facing a long layoff for different reasons, I'd make the Mike Perry fight next which would be a good way for him to get back into the win column and there would be a bit of interest given their ongoing "beef".

Khamzat looks legit but I hope they don't do the same thing they did with Till and let him continue squashing a few cans before pushing towards a title, much like they did with Khabib. Someone with an excellent takedown defence would be good for him next, given how the last two fights went.Β 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Agree with everything written about Till.Β I feel they pushed him too far, too soon. With them both facing a long layoff for different reasons, I'd make the Mike Perry fight next which would be a good way for him to get back into the win column and there would be a bit of interest given their ongoing "beef".

Khamzat looks legit but I hope they don't do the same thing they did with Till and let him continue squashing a few cans before pushing towards a title, much like they did with Khabib. Someone with an excellent takedown defence would be good for him next, given how the last two fights went.Β 

Isn't Perry in trouble for his recent behaviour, though? I'd have thought he's not long for top-flight MMA because of it.Β 

For Chimaev, perhaps they can feed him Kevin Lee. He's a good wrestler, so will likely have some luck against him in the takedown stakes, he's probably got desperate to prove he can still hang in the UFC given his recent results, he's good enough to ask tough questions of Chimaev, but he's less likely to derail him too.Β 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Β 

be careful what you wish for:

Β 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

He’s already been on about fighting Demian Maia next.

3-E730-F8-A-90-BB-47-C4-81-DF-946135-A8-

I know Maia is winding down but it’d be something different because I’m not so sure Khamzat would be so keen on taking Maia down. We’d probably see his striking more in that one.

If I was Maia I’d leave it alone though. Not that Maia couldn’t sub him if it hit the mat. I know everyone’s fully aboard the Khamzat hype wagon now but nobody’s unbeatable and MaiaΒ can catch anyone on the ground. ButΒ at this stage he’s in his 40s andΒ there’s little forΒ Maia to gain from taking that fight. Sure he was saying he was only looking to fight once or twice more and that’d be him done.

I’mΒ seeing all sorts of suggestions already for Khamzat’s next fight. Robbie Lawler, the lot. But I’m with Guy. I’d rather see him squash a few more opponents at this level first. Not that he can’t possibly beat a fading Lawler but even if he does, there’s only one way to go from beatingΒ a guyΒ like Lawler (or even Maia or Kevin Lee) and that’s one of the Top 10. It just feels too soon. He’s only debuted this month, for fuck’s sake. There’s plentyΒ of time. People love comparingΒ him to Khabib but Khabib wasn’t just rushed up the ladder right away. He was gradually moved up in levels and that gave him time to adjust and improve along the way, and feel comfortable on the big stage. Then by the time he was fighting the RDAs and Michael Johnsons, he was ready for the top level. Khamzat looks like he could be something special from early impressions. But I’d rather see him walk and jog before we get to the sprints. 170 is no joke and the top end is a stark contrast to the John Phillips level. So far, so good. He looks scary at the moment. But I think people need to be sensible. I’d be quite happy to see him hover around the level he’s at now and just getting cage time for a bit. Have him fight 2 or 3Β more times this year and see what’s what in 2021.Β 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Isn't Perry in trouble for his recent behaviour, though? I'd have thought he's not long for top-flight MMA because of it.Β 

For Chimaev, perhaps they can feed him Kevin Lee. He's a good wrestler, so will likely have some luck against him in the takedown stakes, he's probably got desperate to prove he can still hang in the UFC given his recent results, he's good enough to ask tough questions of Chimaev, but he's less likely to derail him too.Β 

Kevin Lee moved back to lightweight.

Given that Khamzat's next fight will likely be on Fight Island id imagine he wont fight an American, someone skirting around the bottom or just out of the top 15 would be my guess. Maia would be good but hes highly ranked at #7, i dont think the UFC will put him there just yet.

• Paid Members

He’s not pissing about. He’s already trollingΒ the big names. Reckon McGregor responds to this? Or does his usual of leaving it 3 weeks, pretending it doesn’t bother him then going mental on Twitter after a few lines one night?Β 

84B3FA8B-3859-4F23-88AA-865152DA153A.jpeg

• Paid Members

the guy is on a mission, when was the last time someone came out of nowhere and made this kind of impression? we see lots of good debuts in the UFC but some people just have that unquantifiable 'it' factor, Chimaev has it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i think Herb had heard Hardy shouting on commentary, after the stoppage Herb points at someone and mouths off, I assumed that was Hardy. Thought Hardy was playing cornerman more than commentator here.

Quoting myself here, but in Herb's statement in the link below he confirms it was someone shouting 'stop the fight!' which he had taken issue with, that was of course was Dan Hardy. I think Herb is spot on here...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12234720/herb-dean-dan-hardy-ufc-row/

• Paid Members

I’ll keep this in here just incase anyoneΒ hasn’t seen Werdum vs Gustafsson yet but...

DD91-AA98-FEDF-4-C98-B999-BD88-FD0-A0198

What’s that? From someone like Big John as well. I like Oleynik a lot. He’s really grown on me over the years and there’s no doubt he’s a gorilla on the ground. But this argument is surely about more than just sheer number of submissions on a record, right? Otherwise you’ve got to putΒ Travis Fulton at #1 with his 143 fucking subs. Werdum’s had a lot less than Oleynik but it’s the quality over Oleynik’s quantity that wins him the argument for me. Oleynik’s best scalps by sub are Hunt, Cro Cop, Browne andΒ Monson. Of that lot, only Jeff Monson hasΒ really legit grappling skills. On the other hand, Werdum hasΒ subbed the likes of Fedor, Cain, Big Nog, Overeem and Gustafsson.

The top MMA Heavyweight submission artists everΒ for me have to include Werdum, Mir, Fedor,Β Nogueira and Barnett right at the top of the list. The order will vary depending on who you ask but that’s probably most people’s Top 5 in some order. Oleynik’s on the list but to put him above Werdum just because he stockpiled a load of submissions over unknownsΒ early in his career is crackers to me. If Werdum fought a great big bunch of nobodies who don’t even have Wiki pages for the first chunk of his career I’m sure he’d have something like 40-odd subs too.Β 

• Paid Members

Even more odd is Werdum is probably heading to Bellator next. Or there’s a least a decent chance ofΒ it. So you’d think John would want to hype him up a bit. Not that it would be hype to rank Werdum that highly but you get my drift. McCarthy bigging him up before he comes in would be the move surely. But no, Oleynik’s the GOAT apparently.Β 

At 27 years old I don't think I'm ready to write Darren Till off entirely. It's hardly as if he got completely mugged off by Boring Bob, he looked like he belonged in there. There's even an argument for him winning the fight I think, it was a really close decision.

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The top MMA Heavyweight submission artists everΒ for me have to include Werdum, Mir, Fedor,Β Nogueira and Barnett right at the top of the list.

None of them hold a candle to the MMA submission master Paul Craig. What a fucking guy.