UFC Fight Island: Whittaker vs Till - Jul 25 πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ͺ 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I've said it before, Till is a very strange one for me. On Twitter, I find him funny, engaging, humble and self deprecating but then you listen to him on an interview and he comes across asΒ  both passive and directly aggressive and an arrogant bully. Particularly towards the interviewer, who obviously is not going to square up to him or push back in any way. It's just bizarre.
I really want to like him, and I actually want him to win on Saturday, but like I said, there's certain things that stop me getting fully onboard with the chap.
Regarding the fight, I've seen some idiots say "If he irons Whittaker out, it doesn't mean as much because Whittakers' head hasn't been in the game for ages" and if he loses, as David said, the hype train is goosed because of how convincingly he lost to Woodley and Masvidal, and how unconvincingly he beat Gastelum.

I'm quite nervous for McKee to be honest. I've been following him for a good while now, and having met the lad a couple of times, he's an absolute pet and even gave my wee lad some tips, so I'm a little bit invested in it, because I want him to succeed, but sweet merciful hour, what a test Chimaev is. If Chimaev lives up to the hype, and I'm sure we all think he will judging by his past fights, it's going to be very, very tough for McKee in there. Especially on such short notice...

• Paid Members

Yeah I was going to say, McKee seems a good guy in the few bits I’ve seen this week. Wasn’t familiar with him before this fight got made. It is a big ask but on the flipside, I don’t think the UFC will hold it against him if he gets dominated on Saturday. They already seem quite high on Chimaev and when you add in the circumstances and short notice, I’m sure he’ll get another shot regardless of the outcome this weekend. And however slim the chances, if he does pull this off..well what a debut that would be.Β 

• Paid Members

Shogun/Nogueira

Gustafsson/Werdum

who fucking knows? two fights that are pretty impossible to call. Shogun/Noguiera is simply a case of who has more left. You'd expect a decent version of Gusty to steamroll the last version of Werdum we saw, but again who knows? Two weird ass fights.

As for Shogun/Nogueira, is that the last time we potentially see 2 Pride legends fight each other in the UFC? there's not many left.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

As for Shogun/Nogueira, is that the last time we potentially see 2 Pride legends fight each other in the UFC? there's not many left.

Got to be. Who’s even on the roster now from Pride besides these two? Especially in the legend bracket. I mean there’s Werdum and Overeem but they accomplished their main success and are most known for their runs post-Pride.

Shogun vs Nog 3 is a funny one butΒ I’m favouring Shogun myself. I don’t think he’s as far gone as Nog. But you never know. With it being Nog’s last fight that might spur him on to really empty the tank and go balls out. Being 0-2 down already and wanting to go out on a positive, he might want this more than Shogun.Β 

• Paid Members

Gus with the BJ Penn method of eating himself up through the divisions.

Really not sure how that fight goes. Most of what I’m reading online seems to be favouring Gus and I’ve even seen people acting like Werdum finishing Gus is an outrageous prediction. Don’t know where that level of confidence in Gus comes from. He’s been great at points in his career, seriously top level to where he was a whisker away from beating both Jones and Cormier in different fights. But he’s not looked great other nights. Got stopped by Anthony Smith in his last fight, has been out a while, retired, unretired and now he’s rocked up all chubby.

Don’t get me wrong, I could still see him catching an older fadingΒ Werdum. But this is a total coin flip for me at this stage in both men’s careers. I wouldn’t be at all shocked if Werdum submits him. Much lesserΒ grapplers than Fabricio Fucking Werdum have tapped Gus. It wouldn’t be a surprise at all. Werdum’s elite ground game is always a threat no matter how old and past it he looks. And there are big questions on Gus for me. He retired for a reason. I don’t know thatΒ reason but to hang up the gloves at 32, there’s a reason and it’s usually either injury or lack of motivation. And I’m not sure him coming back as a Heavyweight was him just wanting a fresh start or more thatΒ he can’t be arsed anymore and didn’t want to give up beer and fry ups. It’s a total wildcard for me, this fight. The most oddly intriguing on the card.Β 

• Paid Members

The Bash podcast had an episode that focussed on the Chimaev/McKee fight earlier this week. Im looking forward to that as much as anything on the card. Really get the feeling that we are starting to watch the genesis of something special.

There was a Swedish reporter on who said that Chimaev is generating way more buzz in Sweden than the return of Gusty.

A glorious thing has happened to kick off this fight weekend- I was originally meant to go on an outing with my mum on the Sunday. She rang me and said she wasn't feeling up to it- never been so glad to have plans cancelled. Watching Whittaker vs. Till live tomorrow! C'mon Reaper!

Also, 15 fights on this card? Is this the biggest card UFC have done in the modern era? (I'm assuming they had more back in the one-night tournament days)