UFC Fight Island: Whittaker vs Till - Jul 25 šŸ‡¦šŸ‡Ŗ šŸ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a great night of fights.

Chimaev is a scary prospect. Lets hope they get him back in the cage ASAP for some more maulings. Ideally not against people from the UK.

I think Darren Till is at the Kevin Lee level. Full of hype from the UFC but never able to get the job done. Then one win will propel them back into the title mix and talk of how much potential they have.

Bobby vs Jared is the logical next step and the winner of that should get the champ.

I was gutted to see Gus lose so quickly, hopefully we see him again, I don't mind if it's it LHW or HW, he's always exciting to watch win or lose.

Ā 

• Moderators

It would be nice to be proved wrong, but I feel like Till is going to be stuck being that top 10 fighter who probably going to be the gatekeeper for up and comers. It was a good fight between him and Whittaker, but for all he talk about how dangerous Till is, how powerful he is in the gym etc, he just never seemed to actually _look_ like that. Yeah he had the 1st round elbow, but over 5 rounds I didn't get the feel for what all the commentators were saying. And thats not the first time I've felt that way about Till.

That takedown to back take to arm bar was so tasty by Werdum. Gus didn't seem to have much in the way of escapes for it. I was trying to get my girlfriend to put me in an armbar so I could see if I could remember how to get out of one, but she had absolutely no interest that late at night.

Chimaev is very exciting. I hope he fights on every UFC card.

• Paid Members

Main event played out like id expected, if neither man could stop the other i think it was always gonna be that kind of fight. Scored it 48-47 for Whitaker, round 4 was the swing round for me. Till just needed a little more activity.

Shogun/Nogueira was a good little sloppy Superbowl. When round 3 ended i actually said to myself 'i wish this could have gone 5'. The two are still so evenly matched, made for a good battle and fitting end for lil Nog despite losing.

Gusty just got dicked. Werdum looked refreshed again after an awful performance last time. Werdum is so wildy inconsistent, its what prevents him from really being in that GOAT discussion at heavyweight but on his day he can beat anyone.

What can you say about Chimaev? just flawless. Rhys McKee got stitched up. I know you have to take whats offered to you, but takingĀ on that bloke on 6 days notice, in the wrong division may have been a little ill-advised. I hope McKee is mentally strong because that may have ruined his confidence. Chimaev is undoubtably the find of Fight Island.

Edited by Egg Shen

Till is a strange one. I think a few people have hit the nail on the head with him needing to drop a few levels, get a couple of impressive confidence boosting wins before stepping back up to these levels again.

He can hold his own with the upper levels, yet just can't seem to push to get the wins. Clearly good enough to pick up a belt, against the right opponent - I could see him beating Whittaker if he changed tactics. Couldn't see him doing enough with Adesanya. Faded names or gate keepers should be his next bouts.

Werdum Gus was quick. Didn't expect it and was looking forward to seeing Gus in the heavies. Will be interesting to see if he continues.

Shogun Nog was as good as all their previous bouts. 2 evenly matched guys just beating each other up.

Chimaev is a machine. Felt for Mckee.

Herb Dean came in for some flak. You know its bad when a fighter doesn't punish his opponent waiting for the ref to intervene only to have to make the ref intervene. Just like sports people, I think ref's probably peak and go over the hill. His best days are likely behind him.Ā 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

Shogun Nog was as good as all their previous bouts.

The first fight in Pride was way better than the later ones. Both were younger, neitherĀ were anywhere near as banged up and Shogun still had kneecaps. The 2015 fight was good, the 2020 fight was good. 2005 was great.Ā 

58BC7EAB-7A15-4B1C-978B-818136B3C063.jpeg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, kamicazze said:

Ā 

Herb Dean came in for some flak. You know its bad when a fighter doesn't punish his opponent waiting for the ref to intervene only to have to make the ref intervene. Just like sports people, I think ref's probably peak and go over the hill. His best days are likely behind him.Ā 

Its divided opinion.Ā 

I thought Trinaldo running in is what lead to Herb allowing to continue. If he'd walked off i think Herb would have waved it. There was an odd moment on confusion, it was a weird one. Good fight though.

Actually thought Dan Hardy was fairly unprofessional in his reaction, both on mic and going after Herb post-fight, not really his place to attack an official like that.

I remember being a commentator for a local show myself (boxing though), and someone got knocked down. My angle was clear i saw their knee pop out, knowing that even if they had their bearings they'd not be able to stand properly.
Ref let them stand, hadn't seen what i saw and let it continue. Went exactly as expected. Person damaged ligaments in their knee.

Refs are human. Herb has far more good stoppages than bad ones. As unprofessional as it was, it's nice to see that from Dan. Unlike Bisping he often toes the company line, and here is something he's really passionate about.

Stoppages in MMA are far harder to determine than boxing too. You could get knocked down and grab an arm bar. Think Herb got this wrong.Ā 

• Paid Members

Iā€™ve never bought into Herb Dean as ā€˜the best ref in the gameā€™ like some try to make out. Heā€™s been more good than bad obviously but heā€™s had enough bad calls over the years to where I just donā€™t see him as a safe pair of hands like I would a Big John or Marc Goddard or even Keith Peterson who I think is one of the best of the current crop. Donā€™t know if he still refs but Josh Rosenthal was another one. I actually like Herb and he seems like a really sound bloke when you listen to him in interviews and on podcasts. Heā€™s about as cool as it gets. But I donā€™t find him consistent enough to be considered the top referee in the game. Thatā€™s a tag someoneā€™s said, probably Rogan, enough times to where itā€™s stuck but Iā€™ve always felt thereā€™s been better refs about.Ā 

Itā€™s a ridiculously tough job. And aĀ thankless oneĀ most of theĀ timeĀ because if you do it well, nobody will even noticeĀ youā€™re there the majority of the time. But if you fuck up, youā€™ll get both barrels. Itā€™s how itā€™s always going to be though. In any sport the ref cops a lot of flack, in combat sports where a fighterā€™s safety is in jeopardy thatā€™s only heightened.

I do think Hardy probably couldā€™ve handled it better but I donā€™t know the full context of their little spat. Hardy hadĀ already shouted ā€œSTOP THE FIGHT!ā€ But thereā€™s a little clip of them getting into it at cageside after that and Herb wouldā€™ve had to come over to Hardyā€™s desk for that so both fuelled it more. In the end, fuck professionalism. I think itā€™s healthy that these arguments are had. It can always be better but it wonā€™t be if nobody is willing to debate it. I wouldnā€™t mind seeing Hardy and Dean debate all this (and other issues in MMA from judging to rules to scoring systems and all that)Ā on a podcast when everything cools down. Theyā€™re both really well spoken and I think it could be a fascinating listen. Itā€™d have to be the right platform, of course. You donā€™t want to do that on Roganā€™s podcast with him constantly interrupting. And definitely not Schaubā€™s. But Iā€™d like to see them just sit in a room and talk about this and everythingĀ MMA.

Hardy putĀ this out on Instagram yesterday, by the way;

B533EBDC-2C13-4DA6-A3B2-0A3C8C0C46B1.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09