UFC Fight Island: Kattar vs Ige - Jul 15 šŸ‡¦šŸ‡Ŗ šŸ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Midweek Fight Night is back. Wednesday 15th July on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi.

46-A37054-5-B2-F-4-F3-B-BA80-45-A37976-E

ESPN/ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Calvin Kattar vs Dan Ige

Tim Elliott vs Ryan Benoit

Jimmie Rivera vs Cody Stamann

Molly McCann vs Taila Santos

Abdul Razak Alhassan vs Mounir Lazzez

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
John Phillips vs Khamzat Chimaev

Ricardo Ramos vs Lerone Murphy

Modestas Bukauskas vs Andreas Michailidis

Jared Gordon vs Chris Fishgold

Liana Jojua vs Diana BelbitaĀ 

Jack Shore vs Aaron PhillipsĀ 

Ā 

Another niceĀ card pretty much top to bottom.Ā If they keep pumping out shows like this, I might even forgiveĀ them for serving up that Eye vs Calvillo shit sandwich the other week. Maybe. Seriously, this looks good. I think thatā€™s the right bout order too. No doubt thereā€™ll be a bunch of card changes between now and the 15th though.Ā 

Ā 

531683-D7-3-ABF-4-A22-BF9-A-5-D4897-B511

Calvin Kattar vs Dan IgeĀ is a cracking fight. Happy to see these two getting some spotlight and the opportunity to headline over 5 rounds. Two guys whoā€™ve shown a lot of potential but up until recently they were both relatively unknown. Kattar is out of the Boston area, 21-4 with 13 finishes. Tough dude with a strong striking game. Think the first time I saw him was the Shane Burgos fight in January 2018 and he caught my eye by gutting through a rough start to come back and stop Burgos. And as weā€™ve come to find out recently, knocking Burgos out is no easy task. Since then, Kattar has gone from strength to strength. Despite points losses to Renato Moicano and Zabit Magomedsharipov, heā€™s been looking sharper to me with each fight. And in April he got his big chance when he was booked against Jeremy Stephens on the main card of UFC 249. Being the first MMA event, well first major sporting event full stop, since COVID locked the world down, all eyes were on that card. And Kattar rose to the occasion big time. It didnā€™t get FOTN but it probably shouldā€™ve. After a wild round and a half...

180AC29C-E6C6-40B7-89D2-CE7C2C2D992D.gif

...Kattar closed the show emphatically. Loved the fight but the finish was even better. That elbow was a beauty. Stephens is a cock as well which made it all the sweeter. Big fan of Kattar. I love his fighting style and he seems a good guy too. Dan Ige also seems a likeable sort. Just comes off as a typical laid back Hawaiian. Not so laid back in the cage though. Heā€™s 14-2 with 8 finishes and he comes into this fight off the back of 6 straight wins. Like Kattar, he mostly went under the radar for a long time but slowly but surely heā€™s been racking up the wins. And this year heā€™s gone up a level in opposition and still come out in the win column. He beat Mirsad Bektic in February. Then in May, he beat Edson Barboza. By far the biggest scalp of his career to date. There were some asterisks though. It was Barbozaā€™s debut at 145 and many felt Barboza shouldā€™ve got the decision. I thought Barboza just shaded it myself but it couldā€™ve gone either way really. Whatever the case, it was a step up and Ige did just fine. If this goes long, it should hopefully answer some questions on both men. 5 rounds can really separate the men from the boys when it comes to gauging where a fighter stands in the title picture. Itā€™s also why Iā€™m holding fire on a lot of the Zabit hype.

Great fight, this. Genuinely think these are probably the two biggest dark horses in the Featherweight division right now. Everyone talks about Zombie, Ortega, Zabit, Yair etc. But I honestly think these two can mix it with any of that lot and do well for themselves. Throw Barboza in there as well now. And best of all, everyone in that group is exciting as fuck to watch. Thereā€™s not a dullard in the bunch at the top end of 145. Providing everyone stays healthy, you can mix and match that lot for years and almost any combination you come up with from a matchmaking perspective is must see. I know 155 gets all the plaudits as the deepest division in MMA, and understandably so, but 145 and 135 are nipping at its heels these days. If not just as stacked.

Ā 

17-E7-D69-B-6726-428-D-BF1-A-839-AC4-BC4

Tim Elliott vs Ryan BenoitĀ sounds like an all-action affair. Elliott isnā€™t on the best form at the moment. Heā€™s 15-11-1 and coming in off 3 losses on the trot. Most recently, UFC newbie Brandon Royval subbed him on the May 30th card. But it got FOTN and I canā€™t recall Elliott ever being in a boring fight. Which I guess is why they keep having him back. He has had his moments too. People forget but before Cejudo dethroned Mighty Mouse, Elliott was the first guy in forever who actually gave DJ a bit of a scare in their fight with the submission attempts. Benoit was meant to face Tyson Nam on the June 13th show but pulled out late in the day. Heā€™s been very inconsistent over the years but heā€™s got some skills and I can see this being one of those mad fast paced sprints. Elliott should be winning this though, IMO. Another loss here really wonā€™t look good for him.

Ā 

A7-C0-C6-DE-DB2-F-49-FF-B045-FB50971-AD6

Jimmie Rivera vs Cody Stamann kind of got thrown together last minute when Edgar vs Munhoz dropped off the card. GoodĀ fight. Not a patch on Edgarā€™s Bantamweight debut in terms of interest for me but itā€™ll probably be a decent battle. Rivera was on a heck of a runĀ at one point. By the end of 2017 he was 21-1, on a 20 fight streak and coming off consecutive wins over Thomas Almeida, Urijah Faber, Iuri Alcantara and Pedro Munhoz. Heā€™s hit a rough patch since and gone 1-3 in his next 4 fights. In allĀ fairness, the losses were to Marlon Moraes, Aljamain Sterling and Petr Yan. No shame in losing to that lot on their current form but it does indicate Riveraā€™s ceiling. Stamann is 19-2-1 and his only loss over his last 14 fights was also to Sterling. He had that draw with Song Yadong in December but I felt he won that. He beat Brian Kelleher in his last fight at UFC 250 in June. It was a fun fight, as Kelleherā€™s usually are, and an emotional one for Stamann whose brother had just died days earlier. Iā€™m expecting a competitive and livelyĀ one here. Probably slightly favour Rivera but kind of rooting for Cody after the month or so heā€™sĀ had.

Ā 

D10-B0892-D6-F8-4-C62-9-F29-B46048-EC1-A

Molly McCann vs Taila SantosĀ is alright. Quite enjoy watching Meatball Molly actually. She didnā€™t get off to the best of starts in the UFC. Came in with a bit of buzz after winning the Cage Warriors Flyweight belt, made her Octagon debut on the UFCā€™s first ever card in Liverpool...and got submitted by Gillian Robertson, in her hometown, in her UFC debut. Not ideal. Sheā€™s done a good job bouncing back though, rattling off 3 consecutive points wins. Hasnā€™t exactly blown anyone away but sheā€™s looked a bit more comfortable each time out and I thought her performance in her last fight against Diana Belbita was her most dominant yet. Belbita seemed way out of her depth though and I remember thinking McCann needed a step up in opposition next time. I think sheā€™s got it here. Santos is 27 years old with a 15-1 record, 12 finishes, 10 knockouts. She doesnā€™t play. Headkicks, elbows, body shots. Sheā€™s ended fights with all of these. Her only loss is a split decision in her UFC debut against Mara Romero Borella. So maybe thereā€™s an argument she should still be undefeated. Definitely feels like a stiffer test for McCann to me.

Ā 

161-F7552-1-BF4-472-D-A447-ED6-BBE2-C195

Abdul Razak Alhassan vs Mounir Lazzez. Fuck knows. Alhassan is 34 years old, originally from Ghana, fights out of Texas. 10-1 record with all his wins coming by first round knockout. His last fight was at UFC 228 in September 2018 and he putĀ Niko Price away in 43 seconds. An explosive and exciting fighter to watch for sure. BUT...shortly after that fight with Price, Alhassan was indicted for the rape of two women on the same night months earlier. The trial took place in March this year and he was found not guilty. But fucking hell. I remember starting to really like Alhassan before that story came out. I admit I havenā€™t looked into the story enough since to really speak on it but it still makes me feel uncomfortable even typing this. Lazzez is making his UFC debut here. Heā€™s 24 years old from Tunisia. 9-1 with 8 knockouts. Sounds like a solid signing.

Ā 

53305916-8701-4-CC1-8-CA8-BA54-A5-D7886-

John Phillips vs Khamzat ChimaevĀ isĀ ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā on this one.Ā It was supposed to be Phillips vs Dusko Todorovic but Todorovic got the COVID. From bits Iā€™ve read on Chimaev though, this might be even better.Ā Phillips is a real banger. Heā€™s nicknamed ā€˜The Welsh Wrecking Machineā€™ according to his Wikipedia page and with good reason because he can definitely crack. Heā€™s currently 22-9-1 in MMA. With 20 of those 22 wins coming by knockout. Donā€™t expect him to be in the title picture anytime soon but heā€™ll probably be one of those undercard guys who banks a fair old chunk of bonus money however long he sticks around. Chimaev is meant to be one of Swedenā€™s top prospects. Trains with Gustafsson and Latifi at Allstars in Stockholm, 6-0 with 6 finishes. From what I can tell heĀ usually fights at 170 though. Heā€™s jumping in here on very late notice at 185 so fuck knows. Itā€™s got my attention though. And chucking him in with Phillips, itā€™sĀ got the feel of a chaotic 2 minute bombfest, this one.

Ā 

59-ABC725-946-C-49-EA-8-B91-0-EDC3-A592-

Ricardo Ramos vs Lerone Murphy.Ā Bit of a sleeper, I think. Ramos has been flying under the radar for a bit now but heā€™s a good fighter. 14-2 record, submitted Eduardo Garagorri with ease on the SĆ£o Paulo card in November. Knocked out Aiemann Zahabi (younger brother of Firas) on one of the MSG cards a while back. Heā€™s legit and he doesnā€™t fuck about, he comes to finish fights. And Lerone Murphy is a prospect nobody talks about. 28 years old out of Stockport. Unbeaten at 8-0-1 with 5 knockouts. He made his UFC debut on the Khabib vs Poirier undercard in September and went to a split draw with Zubaira Tukhugov. Seem to remember a lot of people felt Murphy won and one judge did score it for him 29-28 which is what made it a split draw as the other two had it even. Looking forward to seeing how these two match up.

Ā 

4-FB26-DC2-A201-43-D7-B114-7-B18808-FF84

Modestas Bukauskas vs Andreas MichailidisĀ is a fight where Iā€™ll be seeing both for the first time. Donā€™t know what to expect. Was meant to be Bukauskas vs Vinicius Moreira but Moreira fell out injured. So weā€™re left with two UFC newbies facing off.Ā Bukauskas is 26 years old, Lithuanian born, fights out of London. Heā€™s mostly fought in Cage Warriors and is 10-2 with 9 finishes. Heā€™s actually trained a bit in Albuquerque with Jon Jones and Andrei Arlovski as well. And even appeared on that Take Me Out bollocks on ITV! Heā€™s got about a bit, old Modestas. Itā€™s done the trick on me though. My attention has been got. Michailidis ā€˜The Spartanā€™Ā is Greek, 31 years old, 12-3 with 11 finishes.

Ā 

78094-DCD-3356-4-A1-F-8820-367730-F852-F

Jared Gordon vs Chris FishgoldĀ might be decent. Donā€™t have a strong opinion on it one way or another but itā€™s an OK piece of matchmaking. Gordon is a New Yorker, 31 years old, BJJ brown-belt under John Danaher. Heā€™s 15-4 and coming off a first round KO loss to Charles Oliveira. In truth, his record isnā€™t all that impressive at all. Pretty much any time heā€™s fought anyone of note, heā€™s been outclassed. But heā€™s got an inspirational story and if youā€™ve got any kind of heart, you canā€™t help but root for the guy to do well. Heā€™s come back from heroin addiction, being homeless, nearly dying a bunch of times. The fact heā€™s where he is now in life is bigger than any victory he could have in the cage. Fishgold is 28. Allegedly. Iā€™m going to need to see the birth certificate. Heā€™s from Liverpool and has a record of 18-3-1. He was the Cage Warriors Lightweight champion, defending it 3 times and heā€™s primarily a grappler. Havenā€™t been blown away by him but heā€™s alright.

Ā 

39-D7473-B-6-B75-400-B-ADA7-AE343-ED755-

Liana Jojua vs Diana Belbita. Meh. Iā€™m probably being harsh and it is early to write them off. But my first impressions with both of these two was that they just donā€™t cut it in the UFC. Jojua is Russian, 25 years old, 7-3 with 5 submission wins. Belbita is Romanian, 23 years old, 13-5 with 10 finishes. Not the worst records and they are both young. I probably am being harsh. But I just thought they both looked woeful in their Octagon debuts. Jojua got bashed by Sarah Moras in September. I mean, Moras isnā€™t much good so getting stopped by her doesnā€™t bode well. And Belbita got crushed by Molly McCann in October and the early wins in her career seem to be over shit opposition. Just feels like they were both hired because they look nice but there doesnā€™t seem to be much in the way of actual substance in terms of fighting skill or potential.

Ā 

5-EC8-CD6-B-F289-4-E8-C-8844-0077-DBC395

Jack Shore vs Aaron PhillipsĀ is anotherĀ last minute switch up. Shore was booked against Anderson Dos Santos for about 2 days before Dos Santos pulledĀ out. Doesnā€™t really matter. Shore was where the interest lay anyway.Ā Iā€™m looking forward to seeing himĀ back in there. The most promising UFC fighter to come out of Wales to date, IMO. 25 years old, 12-0 with 11 finishes, former Cage Warriors Bantamweight champ. Made his UFC debut back in September and looked fantastic submitting Nohelin Hernandez. He looks the business so far. Dana seemed impressed as well, describing Shore as ā€˜the hottest prospect in the UKā€™ or something. Phillips is 30 with a 12-3 record and, for my money, one of the more punchable faces on the roster. Look at it. Heā€™s even nicknamed ā€˜The Modelā€™. I almost hope he is a cocky prick now. Itā€™ll justify my instant dislike plus the lighter weight classes could do with more heels anyway. Apparently he did fight in the UFC before, a short stint in 2014 where he went 0-2. No recollection of that.Ā Canā€™t see Shore having too much hassle with him, to be honest. Not if heā€™s going to be as good as everyone thinks he is.Ā 

Ā 

I donā€™t like it quiteĀ as much as the Figueiredo vs Benavidez 2 card on the 18th but itā€™s a nifty little card. Few good fights on the undercard and then Kattar vs Ige on top will do nicely. NowĀ theyā€™re getting Fight IslandĀ rolling and they can use more of the roster, hopefully the days of Eye vs Calvillo level main events will be a thing of the past. Pretty much all the shows coming up at least have strong main and co-mains.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Frankie Edgar is looking lean but pretty healthy 2 weeks out from his Bantamweight debut.

FB6-BD788-BAC4-42-D6-8-CC7-A4-A9630-E7-B

Obviously, the worst bit is still to come though and all bets are off until fightĀ week. I hope heā€™s got it right though. I donā€™t expect him to win the gold or anything at 135, I think thatĀ ship has probably sailed. If heā€™d made the drop a couple of years sooner then I think heā€™d have had a betterĀ shot but with the division being as strong as it is now, heā€™ll have to pull offĀ something incredible to take that belt at this late stage of his career. But Iā€™d love to see him have a bit of a resurgence at 135. I just want to see him looking good at the weight and performing well. If this fight with Munhoz goes well Iā€™d love to see him and Dominick Cruz face off on one of the end ofĀ year cards. Or even a rematch with Urijah Faber. Couple of name fights to see how he looks and let him adjust to the cut a couple of times before putting him in with the top contenders. Iā€™m not sure heā€™d fight Marlon Moraes anyway as they train together.

Oh and while Iā€™m here, Jack Shore vs Anderson Dos Santos just got announced forĀ this card over the last day or so. Added a bit about it to the opening post.

• Paid Members

It's almost as if trying to train in close, personal contact with other people, and travel halfway around the world, can make you more likely to catch a virus. Who knew.

It feels like the start of this becoming the norm now, and they are going to have to place people regularly on stand by for the main and co-main events on each card.Ā 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Jimmie Rivera vs Cody Stamann has been announced for this card now. SoĀ you can scratch those two from the running to fight Frankie. Ricky Simon and Marlon Vera are both already in Abu DhabiĀ apparently, so theyā€™re the obvious favourites. Unless theyā€™re just taking Frankie off the card altogether and moving him to a later date.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yep. Itā€™s providing he tests negative though, of course.

All gone very quiet on the Frankie Edgar front. I thought Ricky Simon or Marlon Vera had to be the frontrunners but theyā€™re both in Abu Dhabi and thereā€™sĀ still beenĀ no news.Ā