The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Why not try an "NXT showcase" or something use Ciampa, Balor, or new guys to get eyes on NXT, one match a week and it might gauge who's ready or fans are into (if they allow themselves to care) 

They're apparently trying to keep NXT and the main roster reasonably separate in order to prevent transmission of Covid between the two groups. That said, given that - again - there's no fucking audience, there's no reason they couldn't record NXT matches separately as part of the same episode.

4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's actually another WCW-ism. When Kevin Nash took the book in 1999, they turned the first hour into a bunch of bad sketches. It killed ratings which was especially astonishing because the first hour was the one that wasn't up against Raw so was perviously the one with the most eyes on it and a lead in to the rest of the show.

In fairness, part of this is about a misunderstanding of the WCW audience. Nash, and even moreso Russo, failed to understand what differentiated the WWF audience from WCW's. Every focus group or market research showed that WCW audiences wanted more wrestling and less skits and backstage shenanigans; I'm not convinced the same would be strictly true of a WWE audience schooled on either the one minute matches of the Attitude Era or the comedy skits of something like Tuesday Night Titans. I think it's a cautionary tale of not knowing your audience more than it's a question of what balance of wrestling to not wrestling should be on a wrestling show.

It doesn't need to be literally handing over the entire hour, in a solid block, to promos and nonsense, though. A well paced show could easily break that stuff up throughout the episode, and especially at the moment where they don't have to worry about losing the live audience by making them sit through pre-taped segments or backstage footage - because there's no fucking audience.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a quick go of Thunderdome tonight. It’s pretty much exactly the same as watching the show normally, only with the added bonus of being so distracted trying to find yourself in the crowd that thi

Collectively, they sound like a verse from Red Hot Chili Peppers’ By The Way. What an odd choice.

Like going to a show and calling people cunts?

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

They're apparently trying to keep NXT and the main roster reasonably separate in order to prevent transmission of Covid between the two groups. That said, given that - again - there's no fucking audience, there's no reason they couldn't record NXT matches separately as part of the same episode.

Plus didn't they sort of try this already when they had guys like Ciampa and Gargano around randomly. As we've seen, Vince changes his mind all the damn time anyway so it's not like they'd get a consistent shot at being successful. I imagine Daniel Bryan would be pushing for some guys on SmackDown, mostly so he can wrestle them himself but still.

The best thing they could do with RAW for me is some of the documentary stuff they do on YouTube and on the Network. If you really want these people to get over then these clips do wonders for them instead of 50/50 random wrestling matches over time. It's 2021 and we really don't need to worry about kayfabe a whole lot after all.

This is the first year ever I've had no a single shred of interest going into Mania season. Even if I've checked out previously I would always get back in around Rumble time and see where they were going.

Throughout this year with lockdowns etc I've watched a lot more than I have in recent years. Raw has been tragically bad for as long as I can remember now, they were struggling when it was 2 hours, the 3 hours is just impossible to fill.

There's simply not enough star power now to justify 3 brands anymore. They have diluted their own product with just too much content.

It’s been 24 hours and I still can’t get over how bad Riddle is.

It’s a shame I have years of bias about Bobby Lashley, as I think if this was my first exposure to his act with MVP I’d think he was a nailed on World Champion. He looks, acts and wrestles like a boss.

Overall, the biggest tragedy of the show was the fact that the biggest and best wrestling company in the world is having to emergency call the COO when just ONE main event talent goes down with covid. I get that Drew is the Champion, but surely they should have something... anything they can do with the regular roster to pique interest in the main event slot if their champion is ill.

I love Triple H, in the right doses, but it was actually kind of sad seeing him used so flagrantly to allow them to compete with College Football for ratings.

It’s also probably an indictment of their true feelings on the Orton/Fiend feud if there’s nothing they can advertise straight down the line with Orton/Bliss that they think people will watch, so have to invent a needless, senseless Triple H segment as a conduit to get to where they wanted to go.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
  • Paid Members

The thing with Riddle, is as usual, his shtick a few weeks / months ago, was slightly humorous, but has been driven in to the ground through over exposure and by turning him in to a stoner version of Dave Best from The Royale Family. Reports stated Vince was a huge fan of Riddles act, but didn't quite get it. Thats the problem.

• Paid Members

As big a mark as I was for Riddle a couple of years back, his gimmick and character isn't suitable for the main roster. He has great matches, but stoner bro mma guy is pretty niche. He could maybe serve as some kind of Orange Cassidy equivalent if he went back to NXT? I know he probably wouldn't be able to travel at the moment, but stick him in NXT UK with all those ex PROGRESS and britwres lads he used to tear down houses with. 

• Paid Members

Matt Riddle’s a scumbag though, so it’s one of the few times when you can almost enjoy WWE boiling someone down to nothing. I hope they boil the gimmick down even further until he’s just called, “bronut,” and he leaves the company absolutely worthless.

Edited by Supremo
  • Moderators

The Kevin Nash Non Wrestling First Hour gave us the Scott Steiner and Buff Bagwell become policemen for a day skit so it fucking ruled and anyone who says otherwise is a dickhead who knows nothing.

What's John Cena up too at the moment? He doesn't get mentioned much and with Mania plans getting started you'd think he'd be factored in?

After Drew hopefully beats Goldberg, I'd go with McIntyre vs Cena for the WWE title at wrestlemania, big match John proving he still has "it" and wants his 14th reign vs Drew the leader of the new generation with everything to prove etc.

To me that's a big Wrestlemania level main event.

• Paid Members

Part of me honestly wonders if John Cena has quietly retired after the Firefly Funhouse, though it wouldn't surprise me to see him brought back in for Wrestlemania season, and potentially settle into the latter day Undertaker schedule of just rocking up for Mania every year. 

The right decision would be for Drew McIntyre to beat Goldberg, and then go to have another successful title win at Wrestlemania over a star of near equal footing, to really cement him as a top guy. But on the other hand, I can really see them pressing the low ratings panic button and putting the title on Goldberg leading into Wrestlemania. 

The question then is just who faces him - if Goldberg becomes champion, I can see McIntyre being transitioned into a feud with Sheamus (an issue that seems to be slowly bubbling under, based on recaps I've read), while another big name wins the Rumble. On Twitter I made the prediction that it might be Triple H (with gave me cause for concern when he was announced for RAW that I might have been horribly right), but could plausibly be Cena or Lesnar if they're available, to go back to the Goldberg/Lesnar well for Wrestlemania (and then, potentially, do McIntyre/Lesnar again to give Drew the belt back once live crowds are allowed back, basically hitting the reset button on the entire year), or Cena/Goldberg as one of the few big "first time ever" matches they still have available to them. I did see someone suggest McIntyre winning a Triple Threat against Goldberg and Lesnar at Wrestlemania, which could be a good star-making moment, and hopefully overbooked enough to hide everyone's respective weaknesses. Though I'm not sure how a Triple Threat match in which both Goldberg and Lesnar take table bumps to take them out of the running for ten minutes at a time would go down.

A lot of it might depend on who they have in mind for Roman Reigns. At one point there were hopes that the "Tribal Chief/Head Of The Family" angle would lead to Reigns vs. The Rock (which, if The Rock ever wrestles again, I think is the only match he would actually come back for), and after that talk shifted to Reigns vs. Goldberg. If Goldberg loses to Drew, I could see them switching gears to that one, though it's doubtful because it'd make Goldberg look weak to lose one title match and then go begging for another. I suppose he could lose to Drew and then go on to win the Rumble.

Basically, if Reigns has a big opponent lined up, I could see them going with someone like Sheamus for Drew, whereas if Reigns is facing Daniel Bryan or Big E or whoever, they'll probably go to the Big Star well for McIntyre. 

• Paid Members

Is Cena still even under contract?  He doesn't appear to do anything for WWE anymore.

I can't see him returning until there are live crowds again. Can't imagine he would have the interest.