UFC Fight Island: Figueiredo vs Benavidez 2 - Jul 18 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

yeh Hermansson/Gastelum is a PPV level fight just tucked away that no one is talking about. Im fancying Gastelum to get back on track too, Hermannson needs to get on top to do his best work and i cant see him getting Gastelum there.

Got my eye on Golidze too, another 6-0 destroyer coming in like Chimaev the other night. Should be good.

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

This has to be one of the most slept on cards in a while for me. This and next week’s Whittaker vs Till show. There’s been next to zero buzz for either.

Some still have hangover from last week's show. 

If this show had happened a few months back, when there was nothing going on, it would have attracted a lot more attention. 

• Paid Members

Yeah you’re right. I guess we’re very much back in the routine now after weeks of constant shows again. This week alone we’ll have had 3 shows in 7 days.

From reading about on social media and talking to the few people I know who follow MMA, I seem to be in the minority in wanting to see Figueiredo go 2-0 tonight. Nothing against Benavidez. I’m sure he’s a nice little chap. But I’ve never really warmed to him for whatever reason. I don’t actively dislike him, I just don’t find him to be this loveable type I’m seeing him talked about as. I’ve always had a disconnect when it comes to the Team Alpha Male lot. The whole perpetually shirtless, dudebro cheeseball vibe is off putting to me. And from the little bits I’ve seen of the buildup to this, he’s still moaning about that headbutt and acting like it’s the only reason he lost the first fight. Even though the clash of heads was mostly down to Benavidez lunging in face first anyway...

99E0A536-AD6D-49A6-8D2D-8E137B9E2E65.gif

I’m not saying it didn’t have an effect. But if he thinks that was the main factor in why he lost and is banking on that being the difference this time, I think he’s being a tad too optimistic. Fig was handling him just fine long before they banged heads. Don’t get me wrong, I get why Benavidez is salty about the loss. Between Figueiredo missing weight and then the accidental clash of heads, it was a shit experience all around for him. At least Figgy made 125 this time, so that’s that potential controversy squashed this time. Hopefully everything runs smoothly tonight and we finally get a Flyweight champ crowned.

Watch it be a draw now. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Fuck me Figgy straight up mugged Benavidez, didn’t he? And this time no weight missing and no head clashing. Just crushed him.

Couldn’t have really beat him any more convincingly than he did this time. In the space of less than a round he must’ve dropped him 3 or 4 times. Pretty much every time he connected with anything even half clean Benavidez either hit the deck or looked wobbly. Then on the ground he just did what he wanted. That was probably partly because Benavidez was still foggy from the blows on the feet but in fairness he fought his arse off trying to escape all the choke attempts. You just knew it was a matter of time though.

73-B52-DEE-AE56-43-DD-ACD2-D33-D65-EFC3-

Hard to see where Benavidez goes from here if he chooses to fight on. He’s 36 at the end of the month and the lighter weight classes have historically been tough divisions to have real longevity in at the best of times. He’s had so many failed shots now too, right at the final hurdle. He’s been such a good fighter but he’s going down as a career long nearly man. There’s just always been someone better about who had his number. From Dominick Cruz in the WEC days to Mighty Mouse and now Figueiredo in the UFC.

Fig’s got a bunch of contenders in waiting. From Askar Askarov to Brandon Moreno to Alex Perez. Granted, none of them are setting PPV alight but fuck it. I’m quite happy to see Figueiredo just keep doing his thing. No doubt it won’t be long before everyone starts banging on about ‘superfights’ and all that cack. And admittedly, the thought of Figueiredo vs Yan does give me the horn. But I think what Flyweight needs now is a champ who just stays at 125 and defends. Bantamweight too. And Bantamweight is heaving with contenders. Both divisions got fucked over by Lego prick’s inactivity. It wasn’t all his fault as he was injured for some of the time but whatever the reason, he held up 2 weight classes for too long the little irritant.

Rest of the card was very enjoyable too. I think the fear with the Fight Island cards was that going back to the big cage might see less action but this card was pretty great, I thought.

Who would’ve called Jack Hermansson heel hooking Gastelum in about a minute? Definitely not me. Nobody does that to Gastelum. Usually if you’re beating Gastelum it’s war or a close decision. The Joker is slick as fuck on the ground though and he got that heel hook early when they were both dry and there was no getting out. Really tough times for Gastelum now. That’s 3 losses on the trot. Hermansson is right back in the mix though. This was huge for him.

Fiziev vs Diakiese was a lot of fun. I was bigging Fiziev up on here since before his UFC debut. Just off that gif I posted and little snippets I’d read and highlights I’d seen. But he never delivered on the hype until last night. He looked amazing here. I think a lot of it was down to the style matchup just being good for him and also he’d have been in camp getting Yan ready for Aldo so he was coming in mega sharp. It was nice to hear the commentators giving him praise but, even as much a Fiziev fan as I am, I thought the ‘he’s a contender now’ talk was a tad much. This was a great stylistic matchup for him. The jury is still out on how he handles more well rounded opponent. Loved this performance though. And the fucking sound of those kicks! 😬

I said before that I hadn’t been all that impressed with Ariane Lipski so far...

40123DFA-FC94-4046-8FB0-70FF24DADA14.gif

So she goes and produces one of the highlights of the whole show by pulling out a kneebar counter to an attempted calf slicer! Fucking brutal.

Askarov vs Pantoja was a solid battle to open up the main card. Nice win for Askarov over a tough and tricky opponent.

Roman Dolidze looks like he’s going to be fun to follow. Exciting debut and another finish for his perfect unbeaten record.

Joel Alvarez smoking Joe Duffy quick was a bit deflating. It’s just not happening for Duffy, is it? How did it all go wrong? Forget the McGregor win, that was ancient history. In general he seemed to be bursting with potential when he first signed with the UFC. Now it’s completely fizzled out and he’s been left in the dust. MMA is ruthless. Couple of layoffs and even the most promising of prospects can fall totally by the wayside.

Amir Albazi caught my attention. Nicely done triangle finish in his Octagon debut. Took it on short notice as well. Need to see him against someone I’m more familiar with but so far so good.

And if you didn’t see it, I’d highly recommend giving the Arman Tsarukyan vs Davi Ramos fight from the Fight Pass bit a look. Tsarukyan really looks like he could be something special to me. I said it after his incredible showing against Islam Makhachev in his UFC debut but this was a level up from that. Ramos is a tank and Tsarukyan took it right to him, was fearless jumping into his guard and bashing him with elbows, despite Ramos’ ADCC credentials. He’s only 23 as well. Bags and bags of potential there. They need to get him televised more. He’s too good for Fight Pass. 

• Paid Members

What a performance from Figueredo. Just big brothered Benavidez. He really mauled him. Benavidez did well lasting as long as he even did. 

Fiziev was extremely impressive. What a way to really make sure you stand out, and still get good cage time in against an experienced opponent. 

Askarov Vs Pantoja was a lot of fun. Had it for Askarov myself by two rounds to one as well. I could see these men clashing down the line again, especially in a thin division. 

I feel bad for Gastelum in a way, in that he's almost too talented to be 0-3 in his last three. Saying that, he shouldn't have been getting caught in a heel hook as easy as that. This was more a case of poor defence than good offence, in my opinion. Fair play to singin' and dancin' Jack Hermansson, he seems to be a good egg. 

It's not often that I feel legit sorry for any fighter, but by Christ was I feeling for poor Joe. I was really hoping he'd win the big one. If ever there was a nicer guy who had skirted around the title more often I've yet to see him.

Poor fucker.

• Paid Members

yeh, he's gotta be the ultimate nearly man in MMA, feels as if he's been no.2 forever. Figueiredo just looks like a monster at 125lb though, if he keeps his weight in check hes gonna be a hard man to beat.

Edited by Egg Shen