Champions’ interest killers

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Who are the people that have feuded with a Champion, and by doing so brought the Champion down several levels, either in standing or viewer interest? They don’t even have to beat the champ, but the champ is diminished just by their association with the guy.

Inspired by (spoilers for this week’s Raw)

the fact that Drew McIntyre has now entered the “Dolph Ziggler feud” stage of his title reign. Oh good.

For example, it felt like for years, whoever won the big one at WrestleMania would have to follow it with three months against Kane, which would almost always kill off any momentum that the title win had gathered.

Who are the other champions’ interest killers?

• Paid Members

Once upon a time I'd have said Bray as well, during that time when they didn't have a clue what they were doing with him. Is he treading water until Reigns is allowed back? 

• Paid Members

I think Kane, Dolph Ziggler and to a lesser extent Kevin Owens are the individuals that indicate (to me anyway) that there are no big or meaningful feuds/storylines available.

It is lazy booking and does nothing for the viewership numbers. None of the above are serious contenders and have been treated as such for so long that the stink of working with them could really damage the champion and that is such a bad place to be with a roster of the calibre they have.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Nexus said:

What about for the women? Nia Jax is definitely up there, and Tamina.

Oh it's definitely Natalya. Always their go-to girl when they need to fill some time for a champ, yet you know she's never going to win the title.

Kane is the biggest one that jumps out at me. I loved the Big Red Machine up until around 2004. It wasn't the unmasking that did it- I actually really enjoyed the first few months of that and the Shane feud. It was the returning Undertaker that basically destroyed Kane for me. It gets kinda glossed over because it was all about Taker returning to his iconic gimmick, but in that feud and Mania match, Kane was made to look about as credible as Zack Ryder. Then they plugged him into a world title match with Benoit at Bad Blood 2004, which happened in the midcard while the REAL main event was the HHH vs. HBK Cell match.

Ever since then, every time Kane has been the world title challenger, I can't help but groan. His mere presence threw a quick bucket of cold water over the title reigns of Seth Rollins and Daniel Bryan. Nothing to do with his talent (even though he definitely was past it in those examples), but 2004 really killed Kane's credibility as a main eventer IMO.

• Paid Members

Some of names mentioned have, in the past, shown they can be credible. It's just WWE have them do absolutely bugger all of interest for months before they thrust them into a title shot. For someone as work driven and detail obsessive as Vince, he isn't half lazy and scatterbrained when it comes to his telly shows.

Kane and Ziggler are definitively those guys that can kill a champion dead.