VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Having finally seen Yesterday, I’d just like to declare that I much preferred Ed Sheeran playing himself in that film, as opposed to playing himself in Game Of Thrones.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Drop Dead Gorgeous. 

My word it’s a gem. Stellar performances all round. 

Best film I've seen this year so far. Just fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Best film I've seen this year so far. Just fantastic.

I knew nothing about it but my girlfriend said she saw it at the cinema when it came out and loved it so we stuck it on. Sam McMurray has to play Vince McMahon at some point, doesn’t he? It also made me miss Brittany Murphy all over again. 

• Paid Members

Haven't watched Drop Dead Gorgeous in donkeys years but it was one of my first DVDs back in 2000ish. Bought it in a 3 for 20 deal with Two Hands and In Too Deep I think. Watched it constantly. Cheers for that Keith I'm going to bung it on tonight.

Most of these are on various catch-up services.

Funny Cow (2017) (All 4)

A woman tries to forge a career as a comedian on the Northern club scene, whilst at the same dealing with an alcoholic mother and an abusive relationship. Very dark in places and it almost doesn’t need saying that Maxine Peake is excellent. Does jump around but worth a look.  There's also a bunch of random cameos in here like Vic Reeves, Richard Hawley, Diane Morgan, Paddy from Emmerdale etc. 

Buster (1988) (BBC 2)

Biopic of petty criminal Buster Edwards based around the events of the Great Train Robbery. Collins is surprisingly good in the lead role, but the film seems to fast-forward through events not really giving anything time to breathe. Still, decent though.  Look out for a young Steve McFadden, uncredited, as one of the gang.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985) (YouTube)

Dance TV, a popular television show, is auditioning to find a new regular couple and the new girl in town has her eyes set on winning it. Pure 80s cheese with all the tropes such as the disapproving father, the rival from the wealthy family vying for the same role and the comedic best friends.

24 Hour Party People (2002) (All 4)

It must be over fifteen years since I last watched this. Part biography of Tony Wilson/part story of Factory Records, the film centering heavily first around Joy Division and then the Happy Mondays. Coogan is good although I do get occasional Partridge vibes from him. An essential watch if you’re into the Manchester music scene.

Tennis (2013) (My 5)

Short film based on a true story. A woman returns home to find her house being burgled. This one did nothing for me. Joseph Gilgun seemingly acting like he does in everything I've seen him in.

Kinky Boots (2005) (BBC iPlayer)

After a chance meeting, a struggling shoe factory owner teams up with a drag queen to produce women’s shoes for men in an attempt to save the failing family business. A funny and uplifting comedy, if a tad predictable.

Stan & Ollie (2018) (BBC iPlayer)

Laurel & Hardy reunite for a 1953 tour of the UK in what turns out to be the duo’s swan song. The two leads will understandably get all the plaudits (Reilly is faultless and the spit of Oliver Hardy) but a special mention to for Shirley Henderson and Nina Arianda who were excellent as the respective wives. Moving, poignant and heart warming.

Those Glory Glory Days (1983) (All 4)

Coming of age story about four girls obsession with Tottenham Hotspur and their efforts to get FA Cup Final tickets in the hope of seeing them do “the double”. A charming, gentle comedy that was way better than I expected going in. Sara Sugarman is a joy as the boisterous Tony, and her and Zoe Nathenson looked to have huge careers ahead of them. Recommended.

Edited by Magnum Milano

Under Siege (ITV4)- A daft classic that my 12 year old son, who loves his action films, had somehow never seen so was the perfect excuse to stay up late with his dad. He had fun, went "Woah" when a bloke had a girder dropped on his face, thought Seagal's knife fighting technique and his obsession with pies was hilarious and kept the best poker face I've ever seen when Erika Eleniak came out of the cake.

23 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Buster (1988) (BBC 2)

Biopic of petty criminal Buster Edwards based around the events of the Great Train Robbery. Collins is surprisingly good in the lead role, but the film seems to fast-forward through events not really giving anything time to breathe. Still, decent though.  Look out for a young Steve McFadden, uncredited, as one of the gang.

Buster is a good film. Phil's not a bad actor.  I always remember when he turned up in an episode Miami Vice as a con man.

• Paid Members
On 6/10/2021 at 7:15 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Caliber 9 (ok.ru)

Another recommendation for @Scott Malbranque but he's far more versed on poliziotesschi than I am so I assume he's seen this one. Almost my favourite of the genre that I've seen to date, bruisingly violent with a top quality story. Brilliant ending too.

Absolutely fantastic, D-Mal. Never, ever seen this one but finally sat down to watch it last night at your recommendation. Could be recency bias, but I think this IS my fave of the genre now and I'm actually surprised this one wasn't remade in some shape or form.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Absolutely fantastic, D-Mal. Never, ever seen this one but finally sat down to watch it last night at your recommendation. Could be recency bias, but I think this IS my fave of the genre now and I'm actually surprised this one wasn't remade in some shape or form.

Ahh, superb! Glad you enjoyed it! I really must watch more of Di Leo's films as soon as I can because I've only seen this and The Italian Connection. Might watch Rulers of the City next.

Fast And Furious 9 (cinema). Took the boy for a cinema treat on Friday night. I'd had my second Covid jab earlier in the day and was drifting in and out of consciousness during the film to the point I thought I'd dreamt some of the weird shit that happened. Simultaneously the worst yet most entertaining film I've seen for a while.

The Blackcoat's Daughter (Amazon Crime). I'd never heard of this but saw it recommended by Last Exit To Nowhere on their Facebook and they normally hit the mark. Thought it was slow to get going but once it did I really enjoyed it.

Ice Road (Amazon Crime). This made Fast and Furious look like a masterpiece in comparison. Just utter dogshit.

Promising Young Woman (Amazon Crime). Absolutely loved this. I really feel like I need to show this to our 16 year old daughter. Bleak, genuinely shocking in places, well acted and way more psychological revenge than I was expecting from this type of film.

Gone Baby Gone (Netflix). I've put off watching this for years, I think I just assumed it would be super depressing. Turns out it's an enjoyable, twisty thriller. I find Casey Affleck really likeable and he's got a really strong cast around him in this.

got through a fair few films this weekend

Kill List - the reviews i read painted this out to be a great film, my god i was bored too tears, what a load of rubbish. when it come to the 'shocking' ending i just didnt care as i was that bored by the time it reached its conclusion.

12 Angry Men - first time watch for me, absolutely fantastic film. Loved it!

Now onto the first 4 Hellraiser films for me the first is a really good film, i know loads old it to a high esteem in horror circles. Maybe i don't hold it to that high level as i didnt see it as kid, i dont know but still a real good film. Infact the first 3 films i gave ***1/2 too on Letterboxd. Now for the 4th film (*** i rated it), Bloodline. This was good but, i think there was a really great film in here somewhere which could have been to the point am at the best in series. And as i suspected after doing some reading up, script changes, budget cuts and director changes seem to have changed what the original premise/vision for the film was. Such a shame

• Paid Members

A few horror/thrillers recently:

The Stylist (Arrow streaming)

I really, really liked this. It's a fairly simple horror story, about a hair stylist who stalks and/or kills her clients and scalping them. But it's very nicely done, very stylish, and contains the creepiest scene I've seen in ages, with the stylist going through her friend's room and belongings, and then... 

Spoiler

using her vibrator. Just the transgression and the intimacy of it. Eesh.

It doesn't quite land the ending, but it's a good time getting there. The lead, Najarra Townsend, is really good.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Cinema)

The Prince Charles was showing this, so that made a good reason to make my first trek there in a little while. It's a fairly early Giallo thriller, and Dario Argento's debut. I'd tried to watch it at home, but found it difficult to concentrate on - the pacing and the dubbing mean you either click into it or you don't. And some films just benefit from not being able to pause and make a cup of tea, or get distracted by your phone. So, this time around, I really liked it. It's very Hitchcockian in places, all slow and stylish. It's made on the budget of a bag of chips, but still looks beautiful in its own way with Ennio Morricone music. It also has a hilarious bit with a police computer printing out a 'perfect image of the criminal', which looks like a dot matrix version of a child's drawing.