VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

8 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Five students from different backgrounds and school cliques spend Saturday in detention and realize that they’re not that different from one another after all.  The quintessential brat pack movie.

I've said it before but my absolute favourite moment in the film is Andy getting hyped and really energetic from smoking a spliff. The exact opposite of what it would do.

What was in it, coke? 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Silent Partner (1978, Talking Pictures TV) I hadn't heard of this before, but saw Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer as the stars and I was sold. It's a thriller with a really nice set-up -

Yuen Biu's first lead role if memory serves, hence half the film basically being a showreel for him. Groundhog Day Andie McDowell plays Rita, a producer newly employed by a TV network that she

Posted Images

• Paid Members

Spiral.  Fuck me, this was poor. Worked out the “twist” 15 minutes in and hoped I was wrong.  I wasn’t.  Chris Rocks screaming was very funny though.

Xtro.  Last saw this in the heyday of the Video Nasty craze.  Crazy as fuck take on ET and The Thing.  Some great effects for the time, makes very little sense but much more fun than the other pile of shit.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:46 AM, Magnum Milano said:

Al Pacino is outstanding here.

The double act with the wonderful John Cazale is one of my favourite cinematic pairings. “Wyoming” still creases me up. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Xtro.  Last saw this in the heyday of the Video Nasty craze.  Crazy as fuck take on ET and The Thing.  Some great effects for the time, makes very little sense but much more fun than the other pile of shit.

Only British film on the "Video Nasties" original list. It is a bit crazy. Some brilliant gooey effects as you said.

17 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Only British film on the "Video Nasties" original list.

I thought it wasn’t on the original list but was added later?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I thought it wasn’t on the original list but was added later?

Yep. It's on the section 3 list which means it wasn't up for obscenity prosecution charges but was subject to seizure.

I've not seen Xtro yet. It looks like a good laugh.

• Paid Members

There was a cracking video shop on Hollyhedge road in Wythenshawe that had all the nasties plus a great smut shelf.  Where it lay, they could see the vans coming up the road, so had time to hide them wherever there was a raid!

A Quiet Place: Part II (in an actual fucking cinema). I have desperately missed going to the pictures and what a film to back with. You could have heard a pin drop throughout.

I think I spent half the film with my hand over my gob and the other half holding my jaw up. Just brilliantly tense with at least half a dozen great set pieces. And the two eldest kids, particularly the girl that plays the daughter, stole the whole show for me.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, DEF said:

Yep. It's on the section 3 list which means it wasn't up for obscenity prosecution charges but was subject to seizure.

I've not seen Xtro yet. It looks like a good laugh.

There's a bit with lots of goo that you'll never forget. It involves two people. All I'm saying. James Ferman's head must have exploded when he saw that particicular scene.

Edited by bAzTNM#1
  • Paid Members

There were 2 sequels, both were shite, but one had quite a good plot twist, can’t remember which one it was though.

• Paid Members

In the Earth (cinema)

I haven't seen Rebecca but recently Ben Wheatley had started to resemble a competent filmmaker. But this is really not very good at all. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because it was created during Covid and that but just watch Annihilation. Or The Blair Witch Project, if you hate yourself. Joel Fry and Reece Shearsmith are awful as well.

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (cinema)

Really enjoyed the original but this one was no jokes and a lot of noise and no especially memorable action scenes. I'm disappointed even if nobody else is.

After Love (cinema)

This one caught my eye because it has Joanna Scanlan, who has been a superb character actor for years, in a lead role. She's incredible too, but in a film that's almost as good as she is. Unfussy relationship drama that's both heartbreaking and life-affirming. Really good stuff.

Firewall

Completely nondescript thriller that absolutely wastes a great cast on nothing of note, made during that period when Harrison Ford was even less arsed than usual.