VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

• Paid Members

Godzilla VS Kong was exactly what it should be. Loads of fun, daffy sci-fi and lots of bad ass monster smackdown. You are a tory if you don't like it.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Silent Partner (1978, Talking Pictures TV) I hadn't heard of this before, but saw Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer as the stars and I was sold. It's a thriller with a really nice set-up -

6 is brilliant, but 5 has one of my favourite details - the guy playing Tommy in it was a born again Christian, and apparently only felt comfortable doing it when he realised that evil was punished in

Posted Images

• Paid Members
On 4/2/2021 at 8:27 PM, DEF said:

Godzilla VS Kong was exactly what it should be. Loads of fun, daffy sci-fi and lots of bad ass monster smackdown. You are a tory if you don't like it.

Never could I agree more with a comment about this film. I went into it fearing the worst because I’d heard from a couple of friends they didn’t rate it. It’s EXACTLY what a film called Godzilla vs Kong should be. I’m gutted I didn’t get to see it in IMAX 3D frankly.

• Paid Members

Wrong Turn is really quite poor, which is a shame as there are the bones of a good film in there somewhere (mostly involving Matthew Modine). Changing the nature of the villains and adding some political overtones just isn't necessary in a franchise that is built on people getting killed in the woods by mutants. It feels like two different films got mashed together in the edit at times, and the last 10 minutes is dreadful. Yes Day got shat on a lot but it's a perfectly decent family movie. I do have a soft spot for those types of films though as it's the kind of thing I used to watch with my mam on Channel 5 on a Sunday evening. Judas And The Black Messiah is worth watching for the performances of LaKeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya but it never quite gripped me in the way I hoped it would and it loses focus a little towards the end. 

The Little Things has all the ingredients of a decent crime thriller so its a surprise it didn't work at all. Denzel Washington sleepwalks through the film and his chemistry with Rami Malek is non-existent. The ending would be more interesting if it came at the back of a better film. 76 Days is a documentary about the outbreak of the Covid pandemic in Wuhan. Maybe I'm just desensitised after seeing some of the really good frontline reports on BBC News over the last year but this didn't do anything for me. 

Cherry is one of those films where I can recognise it's got a hundred flaws yet I still really liked it. Considering it's 2 hours 20, it zips along and never stops in one place for too long and was more idiosyncratic than I'd expected. Tom Holland is great but there's a few really good supporting roles in this too, and it was nice to see Jack Reynor pop up in something again. One of my favourites of the year so far. Zack Snyder's Justice League is a huge improvement on the original and still a baffling, stupid waste of time which is terribly paced. 

Infinitum: Subject Unknown is a time loop film that is nowhere near as interesting as it thinks it is, and by the time it started to make sense I'd stopped paying attention. Just watch Source Code instead. Ian McKellan gets the easiest payday of his career here too, he's in it for about 20 seconds filmed over Skype but he's plastered over all the posters! Retaliation is a really grim, tough watch about a victim of sexual abuse coming face to face with the priest who abused him. Orlando Bloom is probably at his career best here as a man consumed with rage, and Charlie Creed-Miles is always great, but it's so bleak and nasty it's honestly hard to recommend. Made In Italy was a lovely watch to follow it up with, just a warm nice film which immediately made me want to go on holiday. Liam Neeson's lad isn't very good, mind.

Lastly, Ammonite was terrific. I wasn't a big fan of God's Own Country so probably went in with low expectations, but I loved it. It would make an obvious but fantastic double-bill with Portrait Of A Lady On Fire.

• Paid Members

I eschewed my usual, rather narrow taste in films over the weekend and watched the “critically acclaimed” Pieces Of A Woman. There was some very good acting but it wasn’t for me, although if you like a film which is all about tragedy, heartbreak, loss, conflict etc from essentially start to finish... I would say “this is a film for you” but my truest reaction would be “there’s something wrong with you.” Maybe I’m childish in this regard but I really need something to cheer for, something to laugh at, some moments of triumph, happiness or levity in my films or TV. Wall to wall suffering isn’t entertainment to me, it’s depressing.

Rewatched Sideways last night, it’s still immaculate. Miles and Jack are dicks but they really produce moments of warmth for each other. Possibly Giamattis finest performance and the three supporting players are superb.  

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Rewatched Sideways last night, it’s still immaculate. Miles and Jack are dicks but they really produce moments of warmth for each other. Possibly Giamattis finest performance and the three supporting players are superb.  

I genuinely love all of Alexander Payne's films. 3 of them would comfortably sit inside a top 20 of all time for me.

The scene where Miles gets progressively more drunk in the restaurant is top tier acting. 

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The scene where Miles gets progressively more drunk in the restaurant is top tier acting.

I still haven’t drank any Merlot since first seeing it. 

• Paid Members
Spoiler

Kong scratching his arse after waking up made my day.

Godzilla vs Kong spoiler.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the hell out of Godzilla vs Kong, in a way that I didn't as much with Godzilla: King of the Monsters. It had a lot of charm, with Rebecca Hall and Kaylee Hottle in particular adding a lot to it. Rebecca Hall managed to put more awe into elements of the film than anything else. 

It also looks great from start to finish - the use of colour isn't subtle, but it is really nice throughout. And the fight scenes feel coherent in a way a lot of big monster stuff doesn't tend to. Hell, they managed to make [spoiler] seem like an asshole from the way they fought alone, which is really impressive.

Sure, there's a lot of bollocks in there, and it's throwing silly concepts at you repeatedly, but it does it with enough charm, you just go 'oh, so the axe does that? Okay, sure, whatever, let's move on.'

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

@Chris B I’d go as far as some scenes in the last 3 Monsterverse or whatever they termed it, were so artistic they would have made great prints to hang on your walls. All had some beautiful shots. As an example 

Spoiler

image.jpeg.b5b8859b81bf343b51617000a9381aaf.jpeg

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

A week's worth of viewing, including the other Yaphet Kotto film I downloaded after seeing it recommended in Devon's thread.

Across 110th Street (1972)

The Harlem mob are gunning for revenge after a criminal gang steal from them , while two diametrically opposed policemen have been assigned the case. My first blaxploitation flick is a cracker, very violent, Quinn, Kotto and Franciosa, as the ruthless D’Salvio, are all superb.

Holmes & Watson (2018)

Sherlock Holmes has four days to prevent the Queen being killed. Confirms that I don’t find Will Ferrell funny in the slightest. The laughs are few and the film is all over the shop. I only watched this because I saw it had Rebecca Hall in.  I shouldn't have bothered.  Bad.

The Damned United (2009) (BBC iPlayer)

A largely fictitious dramatization of Brian Clough’s 44 day tenure as Leeds United manager, a job he never really stood a chance with. Sheen is uncanny in his portrayal of Clough and Spall and Meaney are excellent as the support . Lovely scene at the end where Clough and Taylor reunite.

Game Night (2018)

A group of friends’ game night turns into a real-life game of life or death when one of them is kidnapped. Starts out promising but loses its way about halfway through becoming unnecessarily convoluted and completely unbelievable.

The Business (2005) (Film4)

Drugs, guns, geezers and lots of bad language! An English fugitive out in the Costa del Crime takes the young Frankie (Danny Dyer) under his wing and into his criminal empire. Basic gangster flick, the sort of film where you can leave your brain at home. Quality 80s soundtrack.

Shutter Island (2010)

A U.S. Marshall (Leonardo DiCaprio) investigates the disappearance of a patient from a highly secure psychiatric facility on Shutter Island. Or does he? I found this hard going, even when it’s explained I only just about understood.

Graduation Day (1981)

When Laura Ramstead dies at the end of a track race, someone starts killing her team mates. Good slasher and a nice change from the humiliated student out for revenge trope for that was prevalent in these high school setting horrors. Didn’t pick the killer at all and proper creepy towards the end.

I also watched Lover's Rock (2020) from the Small Axe series on the iPlayer.  A joyous way to spend seventy minutes.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Game Night is one of the best comedies of the last ten years you swine!

I wonder what his stance on Good Burger being the classic film of 1997 is?

37 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Game Night is one of the best comedies of the last ten years you swine!

I did find it funny (especially Rachel McAdams and Sharon Horgan), and the early cameo of John Francis Daley from Freaks & Geeks (who also directed) gave it instant plus points but it got unnecessarily convoluted for me.  Plus points were lost when Jaxson Ryker showed up, but then restored on his demise!