• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

6 is brilliant, but 5 has one of my favourite details - the guy playing Tommy in it was a born again Christian, and apparently only felt comfortable doing it when he realised that evil was punished in

I'll tell you why he did the film but I'm warning you, the answer is the blackest comedy of 2020  

I hate this argument that implies if you can't enjoy them you're some kind of killjoy. I wouldn't watch a film wanting to or expecting to hate it. It's not my fault that those films are so intrusively

Posted Images

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Needless to say the original is significantly better.

I liked the 90s version when it came out, but watched the original after the remake got slaughtered in reviews. I will agree that the original was better, but (and I admit I've not seen either version for almost 30 years) I didn't think the remake was anywhere near as bad as was made out. 

A Private War. 
Marie Colvin was incredible, The lovely Rosamund is great, but this film was not. It didn’t seem to know if it wanted to be a war story or a straight up biopic. Performances were excellent though and Pike delivered some of the best “Fuck offs” I’ve heard since Sean Bean in Ronin. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

A Private War. 
Marie Colvin was incredible, The lovely Rosamund is great, but this film was not. It didn’t seem to know if it wanted to be a war story or a straight up biopic. Performances were excellent though and Pike delivered some of the best “Fuck offs” I’ve heard since Sean Bean in Ronin. 

Yeah, wasn't a fan. Just the usual biopic blandness.

Eternal Beauty (cinema)

Genuinely had no idea Craig Roberts directed this, and what a job he does of it as well. Amazing cast, with Sally Hawkins possibly the best on the planet right now. Really well handled story of a paranoid schizophrenic, one of the best of the year so far. Bonus - Billie Piper looking great.

To the Devil a Daughter (Talking Pictures TV)

Hammer's last horror before their revival, a really daft but enjoyable thing with a superb cast and some appalling effects. Of note to Loki and those like him should be a *certain* scene with Nastassja Kinski.

Humanoids from the Deep (1980) (Netflix)

Daft monster movie with rapey sea monsters, sentient puppets and tons of huge tits. Perfect.

Something of a dodgy as hell film weekend film wise. 

Gallowwalkers (My5)

Wesley Snipes in his last role before prison. Completely incoherent plot but stunning visuals. Reminds me of Bounty Killer a little with it's extreme gore. 

Titanic 2 (My5)

What can I say about this zero budget film starring the youngest Van Dyke and Bruce Davison. Utterly bonkers from start to finish, with some god awful special effects. 

Megafault (My5)

Brilliantly terrible Earthquake movie. Shots are reused multiple, multiple times to no affect whatsoever, has Bruce Davison and a very ill looking Brittany Murphy in it, awful dialogue and horrible cgi. It's therefore utterly brilliant. 

Megashark vs Crocosaurus (My5) 

The hits keep on rolling and a giant shark that sinks a battle ship without even touching it and a Crocosaurus that can hide in about 2 inches of swamp water. It's a wild ride is probably the best acted of the four seen and at least tries despite the zero budget. 

Beyond The Mat (Netflix) 

Aged horribly given Mick Foley's decline and the state of the WWE these days. The Jake stuff then too wasn't even the tip of the iceberg and a follow up documentary where people are still alive would be perhaps better. 

Appreciated for what it was after not seeing it for years. Louis Theroux's Weird Weekend is a better documentary and holds up more though. 

• Awards Moderator

I hadn’t seen Beyond The Mat at all before yesterday but it was a fascinating time capsule. Terry Funk is actually retired now, right?

The main thing that struck me was the extraordinary access he got to the WWF. Can you imagine anyone outside the company getting anything close to that these days?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I hadn’t seen Beyond The Mat at all before yesterday but it was a fascinating time capsule. Terry Funk is actually retired now, right?

The main thing that struck me was the extraordinary access he got to the WWF. Can you imagine anyone outside the company getting anything close to that these days?

Wrestling with Shadows is around the same time frame too. They were far less restrictive then.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I think that Beyond the Mat was the main reason they became so much more closed up to the outside world. Funk must have went on another 15 years before actually retiring. 

Sure it had an impact. There were a load of shitty E! style documentaries around the wrestling boom from terrible interpretations of how wrestling is worked to backyard wrestling to looking at the drugs in wrestling that led them and WCW to stop guys doing shit like that. think it's in Foley's book too that one of the docs on backyard wrestling fiddled the editing to make it look like he was endorsing backyarders nearly killing themselves.

• Paid Members

Castle Freak (Prime Full Moon channel)

Stuart Gordon was so bloody good, man. Lovecraft has rarely been adapted well in film history but Gordon just got him. Not even one of Gordon's best but still great by anyone's standards.

Night of the Eagle (Talking Pictures TV)

A moustache-less Peter Wyngarde was a distraction but otherwise this is a superb British 60s horror film that proved there was life beyond Hammer. Probably as good as anything Hammer ever made too.

The Lair of the White Worm (nefarious)

I know there's a lot of ironic love for this one because it's so daft but it's genuinely so enjoyable that it can just be enjoyed on its own terms. I'm sure Hugh Grant remembers it fondly.

Fade to Black (nefarious)

Dennis Christopher as a film nerd who goes off the rails when a Marilyn Monroe impersonator stands him up, becoming a serial killer who impersonates film characters while killing people. One of the unsung horror gems of the 80s, with a hilarious support role from Tim Thomerson. Utter quality.

• Paid Members

Possum (nefarious)

Well this was great. You think you always know what you'll get with Sean Harris but this one is a slightly different role for him. Genuinely unsettling and one of the best things I've seen this year.

Death of Me (nefarious)

Darren Lynn Bousman is one of the worst directors on the planet and I can't wait to not watch the new Saw film. Luke Hemsworth can't act. Maggie Q tho. Utter shit as expected.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Possum (nefarious)

Well this was great. You think you always know what you'll get with Sean Harris but this one is a slightly different role for him. Genuinely unsettling and one of the best things I've seen this year.

Yep, it’s fantastic. Really gets under the skin and stays with you afterwards. Brilliant film. 

• Paid Members

Cherry Falls (nefarious)

You know, I reckon this is easily one of the best slashers since the turn of the 2000s. I was expecting it to be another shitty Scream knock-off (reminder that all the Scream films are shit) but it's just not and I didn't just love it for Brittany Murphy. Enjoyably weird, too.

The Oracle (YouTube)

Potty mid-80s horror with a budget of about 57p about a woman who finds a weird sort of Ouija board thing in her basement and unleashes.... well, I don't know, the effects were so shit. Still pretty funny though.

• Paid Members

The Drone (nefarious)

From the makers of Zombeavers! That film was really funny and so is this. Also the least likely place you'd expect to see an homage to The Exorcist III.