1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

It sure is! I adore the passive aggressive / shithousing way McMurphy introduces everyone as Doctor except "Mr Harding", absolute brilliance.  I was annoyed when I saw there is some Nurse Ratched "Origin" story coming up, not everything needs a fucking origin story.  Then I saw Sarah Paulson is in it so I might give it a watched based on her alone.

Yeah, I loved that little touch. And when he sneaks in to the cabin with the woman, the bloke steering looks down and everybody has vanished.

The Nurse Ratched thing is what inspired us to watch it. Id have to agree, don't know why she needs an origin story. A spin-off sequel would have made more sense with the aftermath of everything that happens but would have been equally unnecessary.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate this argument that implies if you can't enjoy them you're some kind of killjoy. I wouldn't watch a film wanting to or expecting to hate it. It's not my fault that those films are so intrusively

I’ve got to pick my daughter up from school at 12, just enough time to squeeze this in  

Fast forward, surely.

Posted Images

• Paid Members

Rage (Prime)

Gary Daniels, a primary school teacher, is turned into an unwitting killing machine by a group of far right mercenaries. Which sounds great in itself but doesn't come close to explaining just how great this whole thing. Stupid, unquestionably, but also genuinely funny and knowingly so and, most importantly, featuring some absolutely great action scenes and stunts. Bloody great.

The Devil All the Time (Netflix)

A miserable, shit and just thoroughly pointless and endless load of old bollocks. Robert Pattinson must hate himself to keep getting cast in stuff he's way too good for, but I'm sure whatever he's got lined up next will be bett.... oh. Just absolutely despised this.

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It sure is! I adore the passive aggressive / shithousing way McMurphy introduces everyone as Doctor except "Mr Harding", absolute brilliance.  I was annoyed when I saw there is some Nurse Ratched "Origin" story coming up, not everything needs a fucking origin story.  Then I saw Sarah Paulson is in it so I might give it a watched based on her alone.

I read they give her a sympathetic backstory. Why can’t a cunt just be a cunt.

• Paid Members

Hard Boiled (YouTube)

Still the greatest. And never forget the brilliant cast this thing has, which helps it immensely. Legitimately changed my life when I first saw it back in 1993 on Sky Movies, I genuinely had no idea films were allowed to be like this. A gateway film to foreign language cinema and beyond. It's incredible.

Rumble in the Bronx (DailyMotion)

Jackie's non-Hong Kong films deserve more respect. There's some amazing stuff in this and I love how, because he fucked his leg up, they decided to just have a massive hovercraft chase for the ending instead of his usual brawl.

Cliffhanger (nefarious means)

Technique from London's Burning and Henry Lee Lucas, together at last. Can't believe how bad Renny Harlin turned out after turning out action crackers like this for a few years in the 90s. WE NEED INSULIN.

21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Cliffhanger (nefarious means)

Technique from London's Burning and Henry Lee Lucas, together at last. Can't believe how bad Renny Harlin turned out after turning out action crackers like this for a few years in the 90s. WE NEED INSULIN.

The plane transfer stunt still holds up 27 years on.

Renny Harlin sadly was the victim of his Geena Davies double bill (Cutthroat Island and Long Kiss Goodnight) bombing at the box office and his preference for 'big action'. After CI bombed and LKG failed to live up to expectation, Hollywood wouldn't offer Harlin the big budget scripts that get the best out of him, thus the man was fucked really. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't believe how bad Renny Harlin turned out after turning out action crackers like this for a few years in the 90s. 

Driven and his cheap Hercules film are deep cut, very guilty pleasures of mine, although they're both terrible, he also did a Cena film. I had no idea he'd made a Jackie Chan/Johnny Knoxville buddy cop team up film until 2 minutes ago, guess I should probably set my expectations pretty low for that one.

• Paid Members
On 9/16/2020 at 7:14 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Rage (Prime)

Gary Daniels, a primary school teacher, is turned into an unwitting killing machine by a group of far right mercenaries. Which sounds great in itself but doesn't come close to explaining just how great this whole thing. Stupid, unquestionably, but also genuinely funny and knowingly so and, most importantly, featuring some absolutely great action scenes and stunts. Bloody great.

This might be the best gem you've ever put me on to. What a cracking little film. It's a lazy comparison and hyperbolic but it felt like Gary Daniels's Police Story. Great stuff.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I had no idea he'd made a Jackie Chan/Johnny Knoxville buddy cop team up film until 2 minutes ago, guess I should probably set my expectations pretty low for that one.

You absolutely should.

21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Hard Boiled (YouTube)

Still the greatest. And never forget the brilliant cast this thing has, which helps it immensely. Legitimately changed my life when I first saw it back in 1993 on Sky Movies, I genuinely had no idea films were allowed to be like this. A gateway film to foreign language cinema and beyond. It's incredible.

Started The Counterfeiter this morning just because Chow Yun-Fat was in it but quickly got bored and started to think about digging out my copy of this from the spare room.

Like you say, just a perfect action film and along with Chanel 4's Jackie Chan season, my entry point for HK cinema.

Edited by Just Some Guy
Salient point missing presumed dead

Edge Of Tomorrow. Is there a better babyface in cinema than Tom Cruise? He shows so much emotion in this film, he's just so sympathetic. He's way funnier than he gets credit for too. Think this was my third viewing and I'd totally forgotten Bill Paxton was in it who is equally fantastic.

World War Z. I've tried to watch this a few times and have somehow never managed to make it past the bit where they get to the tower block early on. Loved it. Brad Pitt in infuriatingly handsome. 

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Is there a better babyface in cinema than Tom Cruise? He shows so much emotion in this film, he's just so sympathetic

tom-hanks-coronavirus-e1583977757416.jpg

Yeah But Cruise does the turn from arrogant big head to likeable like no one else. Plus Tom Hanks definitely moved to Greece because of paedo cults and that, Cruise would never be a part of such cult behaviour.

38 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah But Cruise does the turn from arrogant big head to likeable like no one else. 

This is what I'm getting at. There's not many that could pull it off.

38 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Plus Tom Hanks definitely moved to Greece because of paedo cults and that, Cruise would never be a part of such cult behaviour.

This is what I find so bizarre about Tom Cruise. As weird as he is off screen he's a gem as soon as he gets infront of a camera.