Sign in to follow this  
Frankie Crisp

VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Venom is fucking shite. The voice is just like the dog in an advert where he asks his owner “What Doing”. Think it was a comparison website or something. 
Midsommar - Way too long and even with 45 minutes cut it would still be shite. It’s a no from me, Clive. 

That’s exactly what that voice is too! I’ll never watch it again but I’ll definitely watch the second for Woody. It harks back to a simpler time when superhero films knew what they were and didn’t all have 26 film story arcs.

Come To Daddy (NowTV) Elijah Wood in a belting little thriller about a chap that visits his estranged father. It's funny and dark as hell. Recommended.

Just noticed Shia LaBeouf‘a double whammy of The Peanut Butter Falcon and Honey Boy are on Netflix and Prime respectively. Any advice on which to watch first?

Also immediately after Venom watched I to The Spider-Verse. I liked it. Was a good story, got the balance of drama and light hearted moments right. Lost my shit when Nicholas Cage turned up as Spider-Man Noir. Apparently they'd wanted to get Maguire, Garfield and Holland in to play some Spider-Men which would have been interesting. I liked the post credits nonsense as well. Funny enough if it's left as a standalone, but also sets up a sequel nicely as well. It'd be interesting to see them getting in people like Christopher Daniel Christopher Barnes, Dan Gilvezan, Ted Schwartz, Neil Patrick Harris etc in to voice some other extended universe Spideys, but would also be interesting to just see a Miles Morales solo Spider-Man movie as well. 

Brick Lane

Very much enjoyed this. I have read the book, but a while ago, so can't be sure how it compared, and I also felt really sorry for the husband, who was a good guy that didn't really do anything wrong, but circumstances meant what happened, happened. Tannishtha Chatterjee in the lead role was fantastic.

Away

This animation about a lad who falls out of a plane and parachutes on to an island, features no dialogue, and some very basic animation (compared to todays standard. I still thought it was great) and is probably one of the best films I've seen this year, and a real throwback in many ways.

Made by one animator, who apparently just made it up as he went along, if you get the chance to see it, do.

Les Miserables

I've seen some very lazy reviews of this, comparing it to La Haine and Do The Right Thing, which does it a massive disservice.

It's a very well paced, tense film that tells the story of the lesser known parts of Paris, with a cracking score, and superb realistic performances and the director, Ladj Ly, is one to watch. Reminded me a tiny bit of Braquo (the most underrated TV series of all time), but that's probably me being lazy as it's French and about the police.

The Captain (Der Hauptmann)

I remember wanting to see this for ages, and due to medication affecting me and general memory loss, I can't actually remember whether I'd seen it or not. That's not because it's shit by the way, it's fucking fantastic.

It tells the story of a young paratrooper who finds a Captains uniform, and assumes his identity as he moves through Germany, picking up stragglers along the way.

Harrowing and dark, it's not one to watch on a Friday night, that's for sure.

No Country For Old Men

I was really enjoying this. Had the subtitles on and everything to let every little word sink in properly. Then the last 15 minutes comes into play and takes a piss all over it. I actually let out a confused "What the fuck?!" when the credits started rolling as I was so disappointed.

Brilliant performances. Awful ending.

7/10. Sorry lads.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Edit: no idea how my post was created. Nothing to see here. 

Edited by Onyx2

3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

No Country For Old Men

I was really enjoying this. Had the subtitles on and everything to let every little word sink in properly. Then the last 15 minutes comes into play and takes a piss all over it. I actually let out a confused "What the fuck?!" when the credits started rolling as I was so disappointed.

7/10. Sorry lads.

Was my initial impression but once you know the ending and the anticipation of a Wresltlemania Main Event showdown isn’t there it holds up much better on rewatches. The ending that is, the rest is always fantastic. I get the point of the ending being that way but when you don’t know it’s coming it is a gut punch. 

Does Tommy Lee Jones need more recognition as a great actor? You never really hear his name getting bandied about much these days but he’s always been great, which reminds me I need to see The Fugitive as for some reason I’ve never seen it but have see U.S Marshall’s.

47 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Does Tommy Lee Jones need more recognition as a great actor? You never really hear his name getting bandied about much these days but he’s always been great, which reminds me I need to see The Fugitive as for some reason I’ve never seen it but have see U.S Marshall’s.

The Fugitive is fantastic. I last watched it only a few months ago and I think I'm ready to watch it again.

Edited by cobra_gordo

32 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Absolutely. He also has one of the most fascinating faces of all time.

The Fugitive is incredible.

5 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

No Country For Old Men

7/10. Sorry lads.

A common reaction but the ending (or lack of one) is pretty much the whole point of the story. I disliked it too on my first viewing but on further viewings I absolutely love it and a big final showdown would have been shite. I adore this film (and book and anything written by Cormac McCarthy).

Edited by LaGoosh

So after get excited by all The Fugitive chat I sat and watched it this afternoon for the 20th time. What an absolute corker of a film. The pacing is fantastic, TLJ and Ford are brilliant, Joey Pants is his usual amazing self. May have to watch the less-good-but-still-watchable US Marshalls and Double Jeopardy over the next couple of days.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (Netflix)

Charlie Kaufman did another film about people not being in control of their mind or something and I don't care.

Striking Distance (nefarious means)

I almost fancied Sarah Jessica Parker in this but despite that, it's not as bad as its reputation suggests. The cast is fantastic too.

Boiling Point (1993) (YouTube)

Complete shite. Dennis Hopper plays a redhead but he looks blonde. That's about it.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

16 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

A common reaction but the ending (or lack of one) is pretty much the whole point of the story. I disliked it too on my first viewing but on further viewings I absolutely love it and a big final showdown would have been shite. I adore this film (and book and anything written by Cormac McCarthy).

I'll give it a few weeks and I'll have another go then. This is definitely something I would've analysed thoroughly and bored everyone to death with back in my film snob early 20's.