VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

1 hour ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Friday The 13th - the original. Holds up surprisingly well, with a nice Psycho-esque score and different villain than the norm. I’ve got the boxset to work through. I’m sure the sequels will get better and better as they go on. 4/5

You say Psycho-esque, but I think the only reason Bernard Herrmann’s estate didn’t sue was because Re-Animator went one step further in copying it practically note for note

• Members
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

Shiva Baby, fuck me it's just as tense as Uncut Gems and once again Rachel Senott is absolute perfection, after this and the just as excellent Bottoms I'm hoping her and Emma Seligman work together even more.

Interesting, as I didn't particularly like this, and it absolutely is well up my street. I thought it was quite annoying.

30 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

You say Psycho-esque, but I think the only reason Bernard Herrmann’s estate didn’t sue was because Re-Animator went one step further in copying it practically note for note

Re-Animator is one of the films on my watchlist. Had it on Blu-Ray for ages, just haven’t got around to it yet. My entire knowledge of the film comes from a scene in American Beauty. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Godzilla: Minus One (cinema)

As widely reported, an absolute gem. Plays the hits both with its story and its style but married it to some excellent characters, performances and notes on PSTD and post war trauma. All for just $15 million. You'd like to think Hollywood will learn from it but we know it won't. One of the best of 2023.

Couldn’t agree more and I couldn’t believe it cost $15m dollars who’s is about 21 Fast X or 17 The Flash in todays money

7 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Justice League Dark (first watch) - despite the appearance of Deadman, who I love, this was pretty bad. 2/5

Yeah the JLD films aren’t the greatest, the only positive is Matt Ryan voicing Constantine which effectively kept him as the definitive actor in the role after the live action series got cancelled, this in turn led him to return to the role for cameos in Arrow and The Flash and a main cast spot in seasons 5&6 of Legends of Tomorrow as well as a stand alone Constantine animated movie

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Freelance (Prime) - John Cena and Alison Brie action flick. The cast alone is probably enough to sell some of you. 

It's worth a watch. Decent enough story, with some good, if not particularly memorable, action sequences, elevated by the cast. John Cena is still a goofy doof so he is better at action comedy than straight action. This film though whilst being fun, doesn't really land its outright jokes very well; the tone kinda feels off.

There are bits of the film that don't make any sense but they're not major points that will stop you enjoying it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Saltburn (Amazon) - thoroughly decent Brasenose chap takes pity on an oily Northern tick.  Nobody wears subfusc after Prelims so marked down for that.  About as subtle as being hit with a housebrick, but lovely cinematography.  

49 minutes ago, Loki said:

Saltburn (Amazon) - thoroughly decent Brasenose chap takes pity on an oily Northern tick.  Nobody wears subfusc after Prelims so marked down for that.  About as subtle as being hit with a housebrick, but lovely cinematography.  

Bet it took you back to that summer you and Carl Weathers shared a bath tub.

• Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wanted a shitty nice and easy disposable and forgettable thriller type thing to watch and something called Barbarian looked like it fitted the bill. 

harrison ford jones GIF

The horror Barbarian? I quite enjoyed that.