UFC 251: Usman vs Masvidal - Jul 11 πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ͺ 🏝🌴

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I can see it just getting postponed myself. You’ll always get guys offering to step in on Twitter, whether they’re serious or just grandstanding and trying to make themselves look good who knows? But it was only the other week Masvidal was saying he wasn’t happy with his pay. I doubt they’d offer him that much more to jump in here. Especially when the card is stacked enough even with BurnsΒ dropping out. They don’t need Masvidal and I doubt they’d want to make him some big offer after he was publicly moaning about his pay recently.Β 

It’sΒ a week out, I just can’t see Masvidal or Covington stepping in now. Especially if Usman hasn’t even traveled to Fight Island yetΒ as Egg says. I think the show will go ahead with Volkanovski vs Holloway on top and they’ll try to rebook Usman vs Burns for an upcoming card. Maybe it’ll go on that Miocic vs Cormier 3 PPV in August.Β 

Usman would be insane to accept a replacement this late in the game. He's the champion, he doesn't need to chase fights, and he certainly doesn't need to be taking on guys on short notice.

If I was Usman I'd be like "You want to throw Covington or Masvidal in there with me? Cool, but I'm taking the time I need to prepare. I'm the champion, I don't need to fight anyone on a weeks notice."

• Paid Members

As shit as it is the fight’s off, even if they could get a replacement in,Β I’d much rather they just push this BurnsΒ fight back a month or two and rebook it then. Burns was aΒ more interesting challenger than MasvidalΒ anyway for me.Β 

Doesn't bother me too much personally. Volko vs. Holloway 2 was my real main event on this show, I even wrote it as such on my calendar. There's still a ton of star power and two title fights to kick things off on Fight Island. Usman and Burns can be re-done in a month or so to boost another PPV. No point moving mountains in this climate.

I do enjoy fighters getting all chirpy when they know there's little chance of them actually getting the call. It's a bit of a McGregor tactic to keep their name in the spotlight. No way would Covington or Masvidal jump in THAT quickly to make championship weight, unless they got paid handsomely, and as you guys say,Β Dana's not desperate here.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

We may have been wrong, barring any positive Covid tests, it really looks like we may get Masvidal/Burns next weekend 😲

Masivdal/Usman you mean for the belt too!!!!

the one fight ive been wanting for about a year nowΒ 

• Paid Members

oh aye, good spot Kfogg.Β 

As much as it'll be good to see, it still isnt ideal, Masvidal stepping in on a weeks notice to fight Usman is probably not a wise move. Id assume Masvidal is in decent nick because he was negotiated to fight him originally, but i wouldnt favour many people against Usman unless fully prepared.