Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

I’ll put my bias on the table first: I love Frank. In years of working in sports and media, he’s the nicest most loyal bloke I’ve ever met. He kept me paid during lockdown when there was not much work on, he’d known me less than a year and could easily have furloughed me. He rings me for chats about what we’re doing and tells me how glad he is I’ve joined the firm, I think just to make me feel like part of the team. He’s great.

That enough context?

I was the other side of the camera when he filmed his BT interview, I looked over the press release before it went out and I sat in on the interview with The Sun. I can’t begin to tell you how sincere the wish is to make these fights, or to at least establish a situation in British boxing where fights like this can be made. There is a genuine worry that if this lockdown situation continues, the whole sport is in trouble in this country. Matchrooms initial ratings were good, not great, but neither side have posted the sort of figures, or punctuated the national consciousness that keeps boxing viable as a mainstream sport.

With travel uncertain for the long term, now is the time for British boxing to come together and find a way forward.

Thats it.

Theyre never going to like each other, probably, they’re never going to be mates. They’ll probably take shots at one another if they can. Who cares? If the fights get made, it doesn’t matter.

It’s a strange, uncertain world and things need to be done differently now. In boxing as elsewhere.

Also.. #WarWarren or something.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I was going to tag you into my post to see if you could shed any light Daz but didn’t think it was appropriate or if you’d be OK to post it. Cheers for the insight. I hope these fights do get made. I just really struggle to see them coexisting enough. Maybe the current situation will force it but I can’t help think that even if they try to work together, the first point that comes up which they disagree on will see the whole thing fall apart. 

• Paid Members

Hearn talks a little bit about the phone call with Warren here;

Nothing much to read into that but they’re going for a “bite to eat” in September apparently. Progress. Baby steps, but progress. September still seems a long way off for one of them to piss the other off somehow though. Then the date is off. 

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

It’s all a load of bollocks on both sides and it’s fucking tiresome. At this point they’re like teenagers arguing on social media who keep posting thinly veiled digs so each other can see it but not directly to each other. Someone needs to get these two locked in a room for a couple or hours. Even rival mafia bosses had sit downs, for fuck’s sake. Why have these two never met? 

What fucks me off is the way both of them keep banging on about doing what's right for boxing, and for the fans. They'll do what's right for their bank accounts, which is what they've always done.