Jump to content

Boxing: News & Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

No matter how many times they mention the word exhibition you know a whole load of knuckleheads are gonna tune in and be very disappointed on the night.

That's what we all thought when Creed came back to face Drago though, wasn't it? And we all know how that turned out.

r8eHc7c.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing to add to current discussion, other than for some reason, last night, I felt compelled to make something, and, well...

Scott Harrison. The unsettling real-life example of what happens if you merge a traditional Glasgow hard man with the ability to actually fight properly. Frightening. 

I’m still waiting for his Eastenders debut. 

Posted Images

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

what a guy

also just became made aware of this on the 5 Live Boxing podcast...

On Golden Boy show last weekend, womens WBA World Champion Siniesa Estrada took on a 42 year old novice called Miranda Atkins, Atkins was 5-0 going in, but her opponents had a total compiled record of 0-2 😕

the result...

absolutely criminal, how did that even happen?

Edited by Egg Shen
Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, it was explained that she'd only fought eight professional rounds. I don't think it's a criminal matchup by any stretch. Not as though it's a tried and tested heavy-hitter going in against someone who's 4-16-2 or some shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The talent pool is shallow in womens boxing, and with covid it's even less. Maybe it would have been better for no fight at all than to put this out there, yet they feel they need to get their fighters active. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
18 minutes ago, David said:

To be fair, it was explained that she'd only fought eight professional rounds. I don't think it's a criminal matchup by any stretch. Not as though it's a tried and tested heavy-hitter going in against someone who's 4-16-2 or some shit.

really?

sticking a 42 year old beginner in the ring with a current World Champion? Atkins had never beaten anyone who'd won a fight, her 5 opponents had just 2 fights between them, this was dangerous.

but there's more...

All of Adkins fights too part in her husbands promotion where Adkins was set up to fight strippers with no boxing experience (hence the 0-0 records). How her husband convinced the athletic commision and the promotion to allow this to happen is the question that needs to be asked.

i know you like to be the contrarian David but you're so wrong on this.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, Usyk vs Del Boy looks to be happening in October now. I have a massive soft spot for Del Boy, but he's going to get wrecked.

Usyk is for my money the best boxer on the planet, and I don't think he'll struggle with the move to heavyweight as badly as some think. I'd pick Fury to beat him, that's about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paulie Malignaggi has been sacked by Showtime. Apparently he made some dodgy comments on IFL a few months ago about racism. IFL have since removed the video, so I am not sure what he actually said.

Regardless, Paulie's fall from grace has been sad to see. He used to be one of my favourite characters in boxing. 

Edited by jimufctna24
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 10:57 AM, Egg Shen said:

really?

sticking a 42 year old beginner in the ring with a current World Champion? Atkins had never beaten anyone who'd won a fight, her 5 opponents had just 2 fights between them, this was dangerous.

but there's more...

All of Adkins fights too part in her husbands promotion where Adkins was set up to fight strippers with no boxing experience (hence the 0-0 records). How her husband convinced the athletic commision and the promotion to allow this to happen is the question that needs to be asked.

i know you like to be the contrarian David but you're so wrong on this.

How did they convince the commission and the promotion to allow the fight? The WBC had approved the fight for a secondary title from what I heard. Andy Foster in California is no mug, Ebb. He's admitted that in hindsight the fight wasn't a good idea, but heading in, there was no real issue. Did he expect Adkins to win? No, but he assumed it would be more competitive based off both fighters records, and the fact the WBC were happy to sling a title (albeit secondary) on the line.

Let's be honest here, if this fight had went two rounds instead of the insanely early stoppage I doubt anyone would have cared. The crazy thing is, if it had went longer it could have potentially been even worse for Adkins.

But don't kid yourself, matchups with fighters who have records like this happen frequently. 

In fact, I'd argue that Joe Joyce spending three rounds hammering on a chump like Michael Wallisch was even more dangerous. Sure, he's got a decent record on first glance, but he's spent most of his career fighting nobodies. He went in to face Joyce 1-3 in his last 4 and got slapped around for three rounds taking a prolonged beating.

Yes, the women's fight was a lopsided match up, but it's far from criminal. It happens all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members

The difference being most journeymen/fighters who are brought into lose have at least have the ability to defend themselves, matchmaking in boxing is a real tricky business though i get that and we've seen hapless foos get smashed since boxing began. The difference here is they threw a complete novice in with a world champion, name me one other time that has happened? 

In this case you only have to go and look at the youtube videos of Adkins to see she literally had no ability, she could barely throw a punch. Its soccer mom boxercise level stuff. The outrage from other people in boxing proves this was a step too far. The fact that you defend it is baffling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, David said:

 

But don't kid yourself, matchups with fighters who have records like this happen frequently. 

 

im genuinely curious list some...

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/7/29/14629418/disturbing-new-details-emerge-following-seniesa-miranda-estrada-adkins-boxing-massacre-video

I mean, just read that. If the commision had those details prior, would this have happened? surely not. The commision fucked up. They probably took the record on face value and got fed a load of bullshit by her husband.

Edited by Egg Shen
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Egg Shen said:

The difference being most journeymen/fighters who are brought into lose have at least have the ability to defend themselves, matchmaking in boxing is a real tricky business though i get that and we've seen hapless foos get smashed since boxing began. The difference here is they threw a complete novice in with a world champion, name me one other time that has happened? 

In this case you only have to go and look at the youtube videos of Adkins to see she literally had no ability, she could barely throw a punch. Its soccer mom boxercise level stuff. The outrage from other people in boxing proves this was a step too far. The fact that you defend it is baffling. 

Yeah, but there's also the added factor that this is female boxing. There's fuck all depth as it is. Complete chumps in the male game at least have a wider variety of potential opponents to pad their records. You're saying she was a world champion as if this was Manny Pacquiao taking on wee Archie Wilson who's fought pro a couple of times and spends his Friday nights in the tavern.

Sorry to have to say this, but most female boxing champions aren't up to much.

I'm not defending the matchup as a legit fight, I've said it was clearly lopsided. But it's not criminal. This wasn't Tyson vs Scaff, for example. That's some criminal shit right there. But that's fine because Scaff was 13-6 or some shit, right? Even though Scaff had fought guys that I could beat outside a pub in Glasgow on a Friday night.

It's fine to look back at the early days of Tyson where he was already recognised as a legit fucking killer in the ring and watch him absolute destroy guys who had no business being in there with him? Because he didn't have a gold belt at the time, right? 

As I said, if that fight had went a few minutes, or even two rounds no one would have given a fuck. It's only got attention because of the quickness of the stoppage. 

Just now, Egg Shen said:

list some...

That's my point, no one notices because they aren't recording record finishes. Come on man, these kinds of fights happen in halls up and down the civilised world. People are losing their shit because it was a "world champion" who was involved, but as I said, it's female boxing. The talent pool is shallow as fuck.

The WBC saw fit to grant this secondary title status for fucks sake! That tells you all you need to know! Throw in the pandemic situation and the difficulty in getting fights as well, and you end up with this kind of situation now and then. It's boxing, it's corrupt. Anyone feigning shock or outrage needs to get a grip. 

Everyone is always looking for someone to blame these days. Well, you want to know who's to blame? The actual fighter and her team as much as anyone. She knew what she was getting into, but she probably figured it was her one chance to shock the sport and become a champion. 

You take your chances and see how it pans out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, but there's also the added factor that this is female boxing. There's fuck all depth 

That's my point, no one notices because they aren't recording record finishes. People are losing their shit because it was a "world champion" who was involved, but as I said, it's female boxing. The talent pool is shallow as fuck.

I 100% agree that the pool is shallow as fuck, but by that same token you have to consider that the gulf in ability between the good and bad female boxers is astronomical. 

If anything they have been done a favour by the early stoppage because if it had continued the gulf in class would have been ever more of an embarrassment for everyone involved. She had no business being in the ring.

The Golden Boy matchmaker has basically admitted they let this happen because they were desperate. Estrada had already had had a fight cancelled prior and and this would have been the second camp wasted for her with the late pullout. They took a dangerous chance, and they fucked up, thats all there is to it really, but regardless it still should never have happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...