Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

"Usyk has been the WBO mandatory challenger for more than one year," his co-promoter Alexander Krassyuk, who works alongside Eddie Hearn, told Sky Sports.

"He has agreed to let AJ versus Pulev happen, with regards that the winner fights him next. This statement is still solid.

"Our plan is A) beat Derek Chisora B) push AJ to comply with WBO rules or vacate the title C) defeat AJ (or any other WBO champion or contender and become the heavyweight champion. Simple and practical."

Joseph Parker and Daniel Dubois are the next highest-ranked WBO contenders who Usyk could be ordered to meet, if Joshua's belt became vacant.

I think AJ will vacate the WBO belt if the Fury fight is on the table. 

But if he did fight Usyk, I think many would be surprised at the result. Usyk beats AJ, Dubois, Parker and any other current heavyweight not named Tyson Fury IMO. 

Edited by jimufctna24

The one time Usyk has fought at Heavyweight he looked slower, and got hit a lot by Chazz Witherspoon.

I think Usyk has more natural talent than pretty much any living heavyweight, I’d also struggle to back him against most of them.

I’d want Daniel to take a few fights first as his recent run of opponents have been up to it, but in a years time I’d bet the house on Daniel taking Usyk out on strength and power alone.

If I’m Usyk, I want Joshua to vacate and to take on Parker. He’d beat Parker.

19 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The one time Usyk has fought at Heavyweight he looked slower, and got hit a lot by Chazz Witherspoon.

That performance was nowhere near as bad as some made it out to be. 

Witherspoon had very little meaningful success from what I remember. 

20 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think Usyk has more natural talent than pretty much any living heavyweight, I’d also struggle to back him against most of them.

Usyk is very adaptable and unlike a lot of top-tier heavyweights, has great stamina as well. 

I think he has the ability to make a lot of heavyweights look very silly. 

On 9/1/2020 at 4:09 PM, jimufctna24 said:

I think AJ will vacate the WBO belt if the Fury fight is on the table. 

But if he did fight Usyk, I think many would be surprised at the result. Usyk beats AJ, Dubois, Parker and any other current heavyweight not named Tyson Fury IMO. 

I'd pick Usyk to stop Joshua, which is why I don't think that fight happens any time soon. Another loss for AJ will start to take the shine off him, and that shine is needed to make it look as though he could actually compete with Fury.

• Paid Members

Yeh, at this point as nice as the undisputed thing is, the utter bullshit they have to get through to make such a fight isn't easy, i just wanna see them fight. We've also seen too many times now that shit can get weird at heavyweight. Matchroom and AJ are lucky enough that they have a second bite at Fury after the Ruiz loss. It may have harmed it a bit, but AJ redeeming himself and Fury knocking off Wilder has lined things up nicely once again.

If all plays out and Fury and AJ fight coming off a second Wilder win and a Pulev win its gonna be monstrous.

...one of them are bound to lose.